It’s too early to give up on Houston Alexander

I realize not everyone has the time, money, or physical ability to train MMA on a regular basis but it can’t hurt to take a few classes just to get an idea of what becoming proficient in jiu-jitsu entails. I’m not saying the opinion of someone who doesn’t train doesn’t matter, but I do believe that if they made an effort to spend some time on the mat that they would have a completely different perspective. There are some people, such as B.J. Penn, who have a natural aptitude for grappling and pick it up with ease. And then there are the rest of us who feel dyslexic when being instructed how to perform ground-based fighting maneuvers.

Learning jiu-jitsu is not the same as trying to pick up a striking-based martial art. I’ve studied several different martial arts and can tell you that jiu-jitsu is by far the most challenging I have ever learned. But the challenge goes beyond that, as trying to improve in it is one of the most frustrating endeavors I have ever encountered in my life. My progress has not only been slow but there have been periods of time where I’ve experienced a regression. It’s not easy seeing people who have been training less than me advance quicker than me but the only thing I can do is not give into the frustration and just keep training harder. It sucks having done this for a couple of years and still being a novice but I know I’m not alone in finding jiu-jitsu a difficult martial art to pick up.

A lot of people are making an assumption by stating Alexander hasn’t worked hard enough to improve on the ground. Again, we don’t know how hard he’s been working. Yes, it is possible that Alexander hasn’t been applying himself properly or isn’t training with the right people. But it’s also possible to spend months drilling jiu-jitsu moves and show no real progress when it comes time to compete. Once adrenaline kicks in and you’re competing at full speed, it’s virtually impossible to display all the technique you’re able to execute in a practice environment. If we were to watch Alexander train on the ground, there’s a chance we might be surprised with what we saw. But as soon as a fight begins, a lot of technique goes out the window and instinct takes over. That’s why I am in awe of guys like Penn who not only can kick ass, but can also execute beautiful technique while doing so.

At 36, time is not on Alexander’s side. There is a huge learning curve for most people when it comes to jiu-jitsu. If you hear of a brown or black belt in their early-20s, it means they’ve been training since their early teens. The older you get and the more standup technique you learn, the harder jiu-jitsu is to pick up. Learning jiu-jitsu when you have a standup background is like trying to learn a second language. Even if you become fluent in the second language, you are still going to think in your first language and there will be a brief delay as you make a translation in your mind. In a combat situation, that split second it takes to process something could mean the difference between being able to take advantage of an obvious submission or giving up your back. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve been on my back and tried to go for a Kimura after someone posts their arm out too far only to see the arm disappear and have the guy wind up on the other side of me as I bring my hips off the mat.

Another issue that Alexander could be dealing with is his conditioning. The man is built like a power lifter. I’ve found that you use a lot of muscles in jiu-jitsu and wrestling that you rarely ever use. I’ve seen overweight guys come in and roll and never get tired and then I’ve seen guys who look to be in incredible shape and halfway through they are toast. It didn’t make sense to me until I started rolling more but it’s clear that the overweight guys had been rolling a lot and the right muscles were the ones that were in the proper condition. I just don’t know if Alexander is conditioned properly to hang on the ground with a black belt for an extended period of time. Once your muscles turn to jello on the ground and they stop responding to your brain’s commands, you might as well tap.

Another conclusion people are jumping to is that Alexander has been cut by the UFC. While it appears there is some validity to rumblings that Dana White told Alexander’s camp that if he didn’t win last night he might need to get some wins outside of the organization, that doesn’t mean he’ll be dropped from his contract. After some losses, Melvin Guillard was told it might be in his best interest to fight on smaller shows. He followed the advice but was still under contract to the UFC the entire time.

Alexander might be coming off three consecutive losses but he remains an asset to the company. There are a lot of great fighters out there that nobody cares about. But Alexander has charisma and a look that has developed him a sizable fanbase over a short period of time. Say what you want about Alexander, but has he ever had a fight that has ever been boring? While he looked like a fish out of water once again on the ground, it looked in the early going as if he was going to steamroll Eric Schafer.

While most of the UFC’s competition on the national scene is down, they’re not out. If Alexander suddenly were to become a free agent then his manager, Monte Cox, would be flooded by phone calls from the likes of Affliction, EliteXC, Strikeforce, and the AFL. No one can deny that Alexander has lost a lot of steam following his shocking upset over Keith Jardine at UFC 71 but he’s also just one wrecking ball TKO away from getting his mojo back.

Alexander could certainly stand to gain by taking some fights on smaller shows but it would be a mistake for the UFC to give up on him so soon. He’s proven people wrong before and I believe he’ll do it again.

• bp says:

Even though Houston lost last night, I could definetly see that he has improved on his ground skills and he took his time a little more. I totally agree with this article about time not being on his side. I also feel for the guy in the sense he has 6 kids to take care of, on top of trying to train MMA. And I think even though he is 36, he can still be a good competitor provided that he has the time to train and the right trainers.

• garth says:

hahah…i think maybe you should write 14000 words on why those damn kids should get off your lawn, as well.

• Drew says:

Good article Sam. I’m glad you educated people on that topic. That is what I have been saying, some people are not going to a world class grappler overnight. Considering Alexander is a single parent of six, I do not think it would be a stretch to say getting a good camp, like Jackson Submission Fighting, is out of his price range.

• Brandon says:

My biggest issue with Houston and his fight last night was the two illegal knees and for him blatantly grabbing and holding onto Schaefer’s shorts even after the Ref warned him.

He’ll be kept around mainly because his fights are entertaining and I’m sure he’ll be on the prelims as a gatekeeper.

• Zack with a ck says:

My biggest disappointment was that when Eric finally got him to the ground it appeared as if Houston didn’t even try to prevent Eric from taking side control. That’s pretty basic.

• Kung Foo says:

I know BJJ sir, and quite frankly, Houston does not know BJJ. He has had enough time since the Thiago fight to at a minimum be able to have adequate BJJ defense.

He is white belt material at a minimum for BJJ right now, and a Black Belt level at power and striking to put it simply. Dont misunderstand I enjoy watching him,and loved his first 2 fights, but he needs to go somewhere else for that weakness in his game.

• Tim says:

Although I agree with most of this article, anyone who saw last nights fight knows that Houston is lost with his back on the mat. Schaffer passed guard so easily that it was laughable. To me, Houston Alexander is a fun guy to watch, he is a hand grenade ready to go off at any moment, BUT, his ground skills are not even servicable.

And, I agree with Brandon, I also thought that Alexander got away with some illegal knees and was DEFINITELY holding onto the trunks of Eric Schaffer.

He signed a 5 fight contract with the UFC so we will see more of him and thats not all bad.. But please, don’t anyone make excuses for his lack of ground skills or the reason for it. This is MMA, get the skills or move on.

• Sam,

With all due respect, Alexander looked worse on the ground in this fight against Schafer than he did against Silva in November. And, it’s no stretch to say that Schafer was less of an opponent than Silva.

His actions speak and his ground game was no better than the last time he was tested. That is how everyone draws conclusions.

No doubt, he’s got great stand up and the way we draw that conclusion is once again by his actions.

He decided against going to a good “ground skills” camp and it showed.

• JOE says:

Alexander is a mondern day Kimo. He has no ground game and by the time he figures it out, he’ll be too old to fight.

I thought his first fight with Jardin was great. I love watching guys get knocked out, but honestly, he has no ground game.

Being that I’ve practiced Jiu Jitsu for 10-years now, he doesn’t even know the basics. Last night was sad or should I say a joke. By by Alexander.

• […] From Sam Caplan: I’m getting a little tired of all the accusations that Houston Alexander hasn’t been training on the ground. How do any of us know for sure what Alexander has or hasn’t been doing? Just because someone doesn’t show fluent ground fighting skills in a full-on fight doesn’t necessarily mean it’s from a lack of effort. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think more people need to go to their local MMA gym and take advantage of a free trial and take a few jiu-jitsu classes. […]

• Sergio Hernandez says:

I have to disagree completely.

Yes, the finer points of BJJ can take a LONG time to pick up and in the heat of the moment, technique could take a backseat but Alexander appears to have NO clue what to do on his back.

His halfhearted bucks wouldn’t get a 15-year girl off of him and that seems to be his only defense.

Yes, he does have six kids and he is a single parent but the UFC is not a charity case. It’s where the best of the best should be competing and Alexander looks like something out of UFC 3.

Send him to the smaller shows, hope he gets a better camp, and maybe he gets invited back to the big show.

• JBAR says:

He needs to adress his ground game with the same intensity that got him where he is. When I first saw him fight he was winning on intensity and being very agressive. Part of what we are seeing may be him growing as an MMA fighter in being more controlled and calculating in the way he approaches a fight. In my opinion he should focus on takedown and submission defense and ground escapes because at 36 he really does not have enough time to become proficent enough in BJJ to be effective at this level. Either way I enjoy watching his fights as I allways seem to be on the edge of my seat waiting on that one big punch.

• Tim says:

I’m gonna have to disagree….I like Houston for the fact that he’s exciting whether he wins or loses he always makes for a quick fight….In the amount of time since he got embarrassed by Thiago Silva, he could have picked up some basic fundamentals of beginners jiu jitsu…He had no idea of how to control his opponents posture, his wrists, tie up an arm, or really even close the guard….He barely even attempted to buck his opponent off of him…I’m guessing even Mandy Moore saw that arm choke coming before the fight even hit the mat…lol….that said I’m not a fighter in the UFC so I won’t begin to act like I know what it’s like to be in there….My advice though, is that Houston try out those free classes at the local gym as you said Sam.

• Sam Caplan says:

I don’t think some people are reading the article. I’m not saying Alexander’s jiu-jitsu is good: I am saying that people don’t know whether he’s been working hard on it or not. If someone is learning jiu-jitsu, you’re not going to see immediate results. The crux of the piece is that a lot of being are making judgments when they don’t know how Houston has been spending his days. It’s possible to spend a LOT of time training jiu-jitsu and still not be good at it.

• Imbecile says:

Sam, I understand the sentiment, but I just don’t agree with you on this one. Sure, none of us know what effort Alexander had put into his ground training. All we can judge him on is the results we see, and those were not good. He looked like a fish out of water on the ground, even from the most basic positions. He made no effort to get to guard, or even to keep his knees up to make it harder for Schafer to pass to full-mount when he was in side-mount.

Honestly, I don’t care if he is training only jiu-jitsu all day long. The fact is, until he can show he is a more well-rounded fighter then he has no business fighting in the UFC. Outside of the Octagon, he seems like a nice enough guy. Inside, he has incredible punching power that makes him a factor against any fighter he steps in against. But he is so woefully one dimensional that he is a huge risk to the UFC.

He is a big problem for Joe Silva, because who do you match him up against? Alexander has enough power that he could KO any LHW in the world. I truly believe that in the first minute of a fight Alexander has the potential to land a big power shot against ANY fighter in the world. The problem is, if he doesn’t land that power punch in his next fight, he will get taken down and either pounded out or submitted. So he is impossible to groom towards a title shot because he will never have a consistent win record. And along the way, his punching power makes him a threat to legitimate contenders who might beat Alexander 8 times out of 10, but he very well might KO them with his massive punching power. So you have him potentially knocking off contenders without the ability to be a contender himself.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

I read the article, Sam. And I disagreed.

As much (or little when compared to others) as I know about grappling, I’d be hard pressed to believe Alexander is devoting any significant time to enhancing his ground game after last night.

Ten months have passed since his fight with Silva and yet he shows NO improvement. Ten months of BJJ training at a level that should be expected when competing in the UFC should show much, much better results.

• Anton K says:

What’s the point? He lost three fights in a row, correct? How many fighters with more skill lose three and are never seen again?

Chuck loses three out of four and people say he’s washed up.

Sanchez loses two and people say, “move to another weight class”.

Karo loses to Alves and his career is over.

So, basically if Houston is training “a lot of BJJ” and isn’t good at it, he doesn’t really belong in the UFC now does he?

The real question is, “Does Houston belong in the UFC?”

• I most certainly agree with you Sam. I am a an amateur kickboxer and I also train jiu-jitsu. I have been training both daily for about two years, although you would hardly tell by looking at my ground game.

Every discipline is not easily learned by every fighter. I bet Houston has been training standup a lot longer than he has been training on the ground, and that does make it harder to use it in an actual fight.

• Tim says:

Sam… I am not passing judgement on what Alexander is or isn’t doing in the gym but, passing judgement on that would be as easy as Eric Schaffer passing guard on Houston last night. His ground skills, or lack there of, are pathetic and by ALL appearances, he is doing nothing about it

• HexRei says:

He definitely needs to go somewhere else for his next fight. His ground skills are not UFC-level right now and there are a lot of other fighters out there waiting for a shot in the UFC, too many to justify giving a guy running on three UFC losses another fight right away.

• Redravi7 says:

It seemed like he gassed about 3 minutes into the fight. I also think that he should consider moving to middle weight. Schaeffer, who is not big, seemed to control him in the clinch.

• Adam says:

Who cares how he spends his days? The simple fact is that he isn’t really improving on the ground, and he probably doesn’t deserve to compete in the UFC because of that fact.

If he spent 10 hours a day training Kung Fu, but won fights based on excellent striking and ground skills, he would be a legitimate fighter who commands everyone’s respect. At this point, no matter what he is doing, he just doesn’t deserve a UFC roster spot based on talent.

Your article describes why that is the case, but I am not sure why that matters.

• JBAR says:

Juanito Ibarra probably has some free time to work with him.

• Tim says:

Sam… One other thing, the title of this article is

Its too early to give up on Houston Alexander

3 losses in a row, age 36, and zero ground skills. Hmmmm, I think if I was Dana White, I would give up on him. Let him go to EliteXC and CBS. That way they could have him and Kimbo both displaying very little MMA skills.

• Sam Caplan says:

Tim, you are passing judgment on what he is or isn’t doing in the gym by saying by appearances he’s doing nothing about it. How are you in a position to make such a claim? Are you shadowing the guy? It’s possible to train jiu-jitsu on a regular basis and not show improvement competing on the highest level of MMA, especially if your opposition happens to be a black belt. Again, people are not in a position to make the claim Alexander hasn’t been working on his jiu-jitsu simply by judging him during his performance last night.

If you want to call his performance on the ground pathetic, you are correct. But nobody here knows whether it was the result of a lack of preparation unless they are affiliated with his camp.

Maybe Houston didn’t train like he should have or maybe he did. Maybe he needs to go somewhere else to train jiu-jitsu or maybe he paid big money to fly in some black belts and tutor him. The bottom line is that we don’t know and a lot of people are acting like they do.

Redravi, the clinch isn’t just about size and strength — it’s also about technique. And that’s Houston’s biggest problem: he’s relying too much on his physical skills and not enough on technique. Raw athletic ability is enough to get by on the regional level but once you get to the UFC, everyone was pretty much a top dog wherever they came from. Technique makes the difference once you’re at the UFC level.

• Tim says:

Sam… Thas fine, you have your opinion and I have mine. I KNOW what I saw and I saw a guy who couldn’t even get in guard and had zero resistance to Eric Schaffer passing guard. So I guess, if he is indeed working his jui-jitsu then he may need to find another line of work or try boxing.

I understand that we don’t know what he does in the gym but we are not blind either Sam.

• Jackyl says:

To me the arm triangle didn’t seem that tight. Schaefer didn’t even rotate his body very much after he locked it. I think Houston could have hung in there for the rest of the round but he panicked and tapped.

• JBAR says:

He is about 300 miles from the Miletich camp in Iowa and less than 200 miles from the new gym Randy Couture opened in the Kansas City area. Either of these camps could help him develop his ground defenses. If he is serious about his MMA career he should look for someone to help him with this.

• jim smith says:

I dont’ care if learning BJJ is hard. I know it is, but you know what? so were my classes in college. If I could not use what I learned at school and had poor results at my job, my boss would surely fire me. Same thing goes for Alexander. Do a bad job and get fired.

Listen Sam,
    I dont’ care if he tries real hard. BOO HOO. Win some fights. I you you can’t you don’t belong in the UFC. Can I get in the UFC if I try real hard? “But Dana, BJJ is hard. So what if I suck? I try hard.” See if that works with your boss.

• HexRei says:

gotta agree with jim.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Tim is completely on point.

Yes, we DON’T know that Alexander isn’t training on the ground. But we see what we see. And as educated fans, we can speculate.

My educated guess is that Alexander is a headhunter and devotes little, if any time, to learning the finer points of BJJ.

And Jim is right. If he can’t hang, hang him a Triple T form.

• Rich S. says:

look, i more than anyone hate to see Houston lose.. and i don’t want to see him leave the UFC..
    but..
    we’ve had 5 fights to tell now.. that he’s got devistating hands.. and no ground game.. to those that say he looked much improved on the ground last night.. i’d love to know where you’re coming from.. the fight last night looked JUST LIKE Alex/Silva.. when someone gets on top of him, he totally stops all head movement.. it’s like he WANTS the ref to stop it.. i was screaming at my TV because you can tell he’s not hurt, but the dude’s not moving at all! He’s taking elbow after elbow after punch after punch, and REFUSES to move his head to the left.. or to the right.. that’s all you gotta do.. just MOVE!
    and some may so “oh, well, at least he caught Schafer at the beginning with those knees.”
    maybe i’m the only one who caught this.. but, they were BOTH illegal.. i was amazed the ref didn’t even flinch..

look,
    i would love to see Houston stay in the UFC, i think he’s a cool dude.. and he’s a likable guy, not too hard to market.. but it’s like he’s giving them no choice but to let him go..

he needs to hit the gym HARD, and get some SERIOUS BJJ TRAINING in..
    i know he likes the KO’s, but this isn’t boxing.. in this sport, you either evolve, or get fired..

• jdavis says:

Whatever he is doing sure isn’t working. His “job” is winning MMA fights and he’s lost three in a row, there is just so far you can ride the “I KO’d Keith Jardine” train.

• jim smith says:

Jesus Sam, your job is write some descent articles. This one was like Alexander’s ground game, BAD. Too bad I can’t fire you. Wait, I can’t fire you because writing is hard and you tried. Next time you see your buddy Houston, tell him “evolve or die”. This isn’t a tough man competition

• Dano says:

I personally don’t give a crap if Houston works harder at going to grappling class than he does at sleeping, he is not a competent mixed martial artist at this point (let alone 6 months ago), he does not deserve to be fighting in Tier 2 organizations let alone Tier 1, until this changes. By the definition “not intelligently defending himself” Houston has no cause to complain if the referee stopped the fight the second his ass hit the mat.

You may claim you’ve trained for a couple years and totally empathize with the plight of the professional fighter who can’t even attempt the most primary move in the art and instead bucks his hips wildly and without point, but I most enthusiastically disagree. I’ve trained for two years (avg. 3 times a week), helped a half dozen new students and I haven’t seen a single person incapable of getting a much higher grasp on escaping the mount than Houston has inside of two hours.

Am I saying he doesn’t try? Not necessarily. However, whoever he’s training with is quite honestly grossly incompetent if after who knows how many fights, four UFC fights, including the last one where he was SWIFTLY TAKEN DOWN, MOUNTED, AND PUNCHED IN THE FACE INSIDE A MINUTE, the guy can’t comprehend the notion of a guard, defense on bottom, or escapes from the bottom. I’m sure he does try. I’m sure he goes to grappling class and they show him keylocks and kimuras and guillotines and because he’s a mother fucking gorilla he blasts a lot of his more experienced grappling training partners all over the mat and thinks that’s good enough, and that’s why he can’t do anything in the UFC. Because no one, including himself, makes him sit there and escape all the bad positions back to standing up everytime he steps into grappling class for 6 months and that’s a tragedy because it’s all his needs.

• Bruce K says:

I agree BJJ is a very difficult skill to learn let alone master. But a striker can master basic take down defense and may be (though harder) some submission defense. However, Mr. Alexander has a profession – fighting – just like I have a profession (though clearly not in fighting). But what we both have in common is a responsibility to our profession. If I go to my boss and say boo hoo my job is too tough and I suck at it, my boss will and should fire my ass! Jim Smith is 110% correct!!

• Stan the Caddy says:

Sam Caplan chastising other people for expressing their opinions. How ironic.

• Gabber says:

Good article.

Simple fact of the matter is you’re a blatant Alexander mark.

Second simple fact: whatever ground skills he has are not nearly enough to be competitive in the UFC. They’ve cut people for less. Look at Lutter, decent fighter, had Silva mounted and in the worst position of anyone yet (albeit not making weight), lost to Franklin, cut from UFC.

I’m a big Houston fan but dude, 3 losses, you’re out. You can’t hang with the big dogs and I’d rather see a battle of top competitors like Guida vs Danzig then watch you get side mounted, full mounted, not sweep, not buck and get choked with a very, very slow arm triangle.

• Squall says:

Another [email protected] post, Houston is done but i do feel for him being a single parent of 6.

• Jim Smith for President says:

Jim Smith, where do I find your blog, you have more suppoters here than Caplan.

• platypus says:

good article

theres always a need for the token black fighter with no ground game =)

• mike says:

Ok, Sam, I usually agree with you, but for once I don’t agree.

Alexander’s ground game was some of the most miserable ground game I have ever seen. I’ve never seen someone get side control so quickly and fluidly than during this fight. Houston was a freakin beast standing up. Once it was taken to the ground it was like watching an amateur fighter get his ass handed to him by a real ground game master. Whether Alexander has been learning BJJ or really working on his ground game, he has no future in this sport until he can learn it a hell of a lot better. He was miserable.

I was so impressed by his standup, but MMA is not a one demensional sport. That is why Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes are being beaten by the new breed of MMA fighters. You have to be well rounded to continue fighting in todays MMA world. Alexander needs to become a more rounded fighter, or find a new way to support his six kids.

• Mike says:

I’m a big fan of Sam Caplan but this article is pure garbage. I would think that one of the most basic MMA skills is pulling guard when you’re on the bottom. Houston didn’t even TRY.

• Handover Fist says:

I think Houston is a better conditioned Tank Abbott.

• ck says:

ok it’s one thing to not be good at bjj.. but if you absolutely suck at protecting yourself when taken down, you have no career in mma. Many top strikers in the game can at least figure out how to avoid alot of damages while on the bottom and even try some decent escapes. What did Houston do to try to escape except trying to buck him off? And that weak bucking attempt takes how long to learn??

• Gabber says:

Not to mention the fact that he started the tussle with two illegal knees and didn’t get called for it. I would have to agree with Handover.

Tank with 5% body fat. 😛

Mind you, he looked pretty gassed at the end of the round about 30 seconds before the choke.

• Dayzah says:

He sucks on the ground , its that simple .. As soon as I saw this matchup I picked Eric in every mma fantasy I could , its just a matter of time with Houston and a grappler ..

I agree with the vash majority here who arent distracted by smoke and mirriors … This guy is a one trick pony at best , with a glass jaw , and no I dont fight or shadow with him but ive seen him get completely owned his last 3 fights …

I figured a article like this would come from mmajunkie, they are the biggest Alexander nut huggers , guess cause they do/did sponsor him and he would sometime post ..

Quit posting and train some fin jits.

• King Solomon says:

Alexander is part of the UFC hype machine. This fighter isnt worth o shit. He’s ground game is Zero. He’s cardo sucks. He’s whole lame career is build off the Keith Jardine KO. He started MMa too late in my opinion.

Remember the truth Hurts. Ask B. Vera.

• Imbecile says:

Not only did he start with two illegal knees, did anyone else catch when Alexander tried to fish-hook Schafer when he was on top of Schafer on the ground early on? Pathetic!

• Truth says:

Truth: He trained his ass off on the ground…drilling arm triangles over and over and over again…takedown defense and scrambling against huge midwest wrestlers…but it was a fight…just because you drill something doesn’t mean you can execute it…maybe his adrenaline took over and he wasn’t as focused as he could be…maybe he gassed out a little…maybe he just didn’t preform on the ground…it’s not like Shafer is that well rounded…he is a one dimensional jitz guy…his striking blows, but it works just enough to get a win this time…you guys know where Houston trains…come on up and roll around with him…especially all you guys with all this jitz and fighting experience on here (laughs to self…you’d get worked)…and let’s not discredit Schafer…he is a jitz stud and did what he should do when a fight gets into his element…

• HexRei says:

Truth: Cheap shot man, some of us do train but guess what? we aren’t pro fighters like houston so its just not a valid comparison. By your logic no one can ever criticize any pro about ANYTHING unless they are a better pro, and that’s dumb. I don’t see anyone here saying they could beat Houston.

• cornerman says:

Houston has a ton of potential, I hope he does train BJJ and wrestling, he needs it exclusively for a year or two.

• Robert says:

If the UFC can keep Luke Cummo,Jorge Gurgel,Jonathon Goulet,Chris Lytle,Josh Burkman,and Pete Sell on their roster i think they can keep Houston Alexander around.

• Mike Rome says:

It’s more that some of his comments are discouraging. For example, he said just a couple of weeks ago that he doesn’t train with any high level BJJ guys because he doesn’t think training with good guys makes any different. He then said he learned the moves and practices them so it’s the same either way. I knew as soon as he said this he was in deep shit in this fight.

• ctownhood says:

It’s hard not like to like Houston..he’s very charismatic, he has a great story, stand up guy. That being said..there are 2 things I never need to see in sports again:

1. Johnny Damon throw a baseball (just painful……)
    2. Houston Alexander in the Octagon.

At his age, he isn’t going to develop enough ground skills to compete in the near future. His fights are always exciting, just not for him I suppose…

• James says:

I think Houston needs a another fight against a striker like Irvin. He went down in with one punch in that fight and if his chin is suspect than all the bjj in the world won’t help him become a true champion. Most of his other fights he really isnt getting hit, he is doing the hitting. If he cant take a strike, than he’s not worth the ufc roster and he can go fight Kimbo in a prison yard setup on elite xc. But if he can get hit seeing him go 3 rounds with a great striker would be awesome and draw loads of revenue. Dana and the crew have put him against a couple tough bjj guys and its obvious he’s no where near their level. But the bottom line is making money and Houston Alexander can definitely do that for the ufc. Maybe a warmup vs a marginal striker/wrestler to get off the losing streak and then a rematch with Jardine to show it wasn’t a fluke the first time. But I still would love to see that prison yard match! With armed guards and dogs!