Thomson: B.J. Penn is the best in the world

Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson hasn’t lost in two years. Among those victories was a huge unanimous win over former champion Gilbert Melendez. The win pushed Thomson into the top 10 of most of the lightweight rankings.

Thomson though has no doubt who should be ranked at the top.

B.J. Penn is pound for pound the best fighter. He’s fought all the top guys. He beat the guy at 170 (Matt Hughes) who had the title at the time,” said Thomson. “He has that natural ability to win fights.”

It’s easy to get caught up in rankings because – in reality – they really don’t mean much. With the fighters competing in different organizations that generally do not co-promote, the rankings have no effect on who fights who. However, debating who is the best in the world always makes for an interesting discussion. When a polished veteran such as Thomson speaks, the statement should hold some additional weight.

Regardless of the high praise for Penn, Thomson would love to find out how he’d do against the UFC’s lightweight champion.

“You always wonder in a real fight how it would go. I hold him in very high regard. If I ever get the chance to fight him and win then I could think of myself as the best fighter in the world,” Thomson said.

• David Andrest says:

The Punk is correct on all accounts.

• ctownhood says:

Agreed, BJ is my top pick.

• Evan says:

I like Thompson but I still laugh thinking of Frank Shamrock calling him “the first openly gay mma fighter” after a fight when he was doing color and he said it so seriously that people took it as fact, including me. Frank was joking of course but forums and blogs went crazy for two days.

• dpk says:

I’m sure if Thompson keeps winning, UFC will have a nice offer for him when his Strikeforce contract is up.

• This would be a great fight with two top fighters. I still put my money on BJ.

• rob says:

I am a HUGE BJ homer so my opinion shouldn’t count for alot – but Thompson/ BJ…? Sure, I’d definitely watch, I didn’t think he’d beat el Nino and I was sadly mistaken – can;t wait to see more of him (thompson)

• Rich S. says:

this would be an awesome, awesome fight..

since his days in the UFC, i’ve always considered Josh one of the best LW’s in the world..

i don’t know if i could pick anyone over BJ though..

• neijia says:

Did you see the Penn Machida match? Rather boring but I thought Penn deserved a draw or at least a split decision. I did not think Machida won. Penn is the only top p4p fighter who can beat the best up to LHW, but I still put Fedor ahead of Penn for p4p based on various factors. For one thing his transitions from range to range are smoother (e.g., missed throws to uppercut). His execution of his game plans also seems more flawless.

• Revjames13 says:

BJ has what it takes to be the best P4P, and in 2009 he may well be declared as such. But right now Anderson Silva, Fedor and GSP are ahead of him. If BJ gets past GSP, which I think he will in impressive fashion, then we can start talking about #1. Anderson currently has the most momentum and Fedor thusfar has the best record (he’s only lost once and only by a stoppage at that).

• Revjames13 says:

Cut stoppage that is, and in his first fight, no less.

• KTru says:

a fight he avenged later….however it was fedor’s 3rd fight

• KTru says:

that he lost…..not 1st fight

• […] B.J. Penn is the best in the world More Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson hasn’t lost in two years. Among those victories […]