5 Oz. of Pain Presents: The DUEL

Welcome back to another edition of The Duel. Joining me this week is PunchDrunkGamer.com’s Dave Carpinello. We will be yelling at one another and as always your comments on the statements or opinions expressed are much appreciated. Let us Duel:

1. Evan Tanner’s death is the saddest story of the year.

Carpinello: DEPENDS. It depends on who you ask. There have been several athletes from different sports that have passed away this year, expected and unexpectedly. MMA fans may agree with that statement while fans who have experienced losses in other sports might disagree. But I would have to agree that at 37 years young it is a sad day for the sport, the fighters, his family and the fans.

Huckaby: TRUE. Evan Tanner may not be a sob story due to his personal struggles but it certainly saddened me to the core. My best friend’s favorite fighter was Evan Tanner and I had to call him and tell him he died. Especially troubling is the fact about heat exhaustion and his lack of water and that blog post saying he might die on the trip. It might have been a joke but it might not have been. I can’t think of a sadder story this year and certainly not a sadder sports story. I <3 Evan Tanner.

2. Rashad Evans only way to win was a random knockout.

Carpinello: FALSE. If Evans continued to fight with his strategy at the time of the knockout, he would have likely won a decision. Liddell has long been a counterpuncher and in this fight he forced to chase Evans around the cage. Which as any one who was watching the fight could tell….obviously was frustrating the former champion.

Huckaby: TRUE. Odd, I thought Liddell was kicking his ass at the time of the knockout. It’s funny because a friend that was over was yelling through the round, “he’s trying to Rampage him!” Meaning he felt his only way to win was an overhand right that knocked Liddell out. I paid it a bit of notice until it happened when I looked at him and he was smug. He was exactly right, Rashad was backing away and looking for the one punch KO to “Rampage” him with wild shots and no takedowns. It was a good strategy as it worked and I really do think the only way he could have won that fight.

3. Rich Franklin should stay at 205lbs.

Carpinello: TRUE. Unless Anderson Silva changes weight classes for good, Franklin has no chance to win the title again at middleweight. In fact I don’t envision many scenarios where the UFC would even give Franklin a third fight against Silva. The light-heavyweight division is wide open right now and would make for some very intriguing matchups for fans. Franklin versus Forrest Griffin or Keith Jardine would have the opportunity to be great fights.

Huckaby: TRUE. Hey we agreed on something. I like your analysis but I still think Silva vs. Franklin should happen every single October. Rich Franklin is probably my favorite fighter but watching him get beat up by Anderson Silva every year would be humbling and make you remember what to appreciate in life. My way of picking the fight was saying Hamill “beat” Bisping (fine, not really but in sane peoples heads) and with Bisping at 185lbs wouldn’t Franklin beat the crap out of him? Franklin has a long road ahead, not every battle is going to be Matt Hamill. I’m not dissing Matt Hamill, I’m just saying Rashad Evans and Wanderlei Silva are different beasts.

—-SWITCH IT UP—-

4. Affliction’s postponement states they’re in real trouble.

Huckaby: TRUE. Companies don’t just postpone dates for shows. It’s not as if this is a very common theme. I wished the best for Affliction but this shows something might be very wrong and even worse they could be out of business before Fedor fights the Arlovski/Barnett winner. Not that Fedor didn’t already prove he was the best fighter in the world by destroying Sylvia in 30 seconds but a win over the Arlovski/Barnett winner would only showcase that more.

Carpinello: FALSE. I would say trouble but not in danger of folding trouble. Atencio is a smart businessman and he has surrounded himself with some very successful people; i.e. Donald Trump. Although you have to wonder whose bright idea it was to try and host an event in Dana White’s backyard. By moving the show to January that will enable them to use the services of Fedor, Babalu, Belfort and others who are recovering from injuries. The question though is who will Fedor face if Andrei Arlovski and Barnett are already matched up?

5. Mac Danzig will get over the test of Clay Guida at UFN 15 on Wednesday.

Huckaby: TRUE. As always I will go with the, “who does Joe Silva think will win?” test. Danzig might win this fight by decision or a third round sub but Guida seemingly loves some decision losses so I have to go with Danzig to be more active here. Realistically there is an 85% chance of a decision and I think Danzig will win it. Guida is a solid fighter but he’s on my list as an absolute gatekeeper in the company.

Carpinello: TRUE. Danzig should be able to handle Guida and win by submission in either the second or third round. Although Guida’s fight style is exciting, it does leave him open to getting caught. Danzig has a bright future ahead of him and this fight should result in another victory for the Xtreme Couture product.

6. Nate Diaz will continue his roll and defeat Josh Neer.

Huckaby: TRUE. Diaz is 4-0 in the UFC and will get to 5-0 after this fight. I love Josh Neer and his odd professional relationship with Spencer Fisher but I believe he’s out of his league here. While I love Neer, Diaz showed me a ton in his win over Pellegrino, who I thought had an 80% chance of winning that fight. I’m not wrong much but I said the only way Diaz wins is a strange submission out of nowhere and if Pellegrino could avoid it he’d win the fight. Well he middle finger lost and I won’t doubt Diaz any longer. Diaz will take this fight by sub in the third round or by decision. After what he did against Pellegrino I’m going with the former. Nathan Diaz you may by psychotic but you are a good fighter.

Carpinello: TRUE. Diaz is a scrapper like his brother Nick. Don’t get me wrong, ‘The Dentist’ is a good fighter but his last victories were over 2 no names and an injured Din Thomas. Like his brother did 2 years, Nate will submit Neer at some point during this fight.

And that is our Duel for the week. Join us next week when two different MMA writers battle it out. I’ll also have a Pros and Cons for UFC 88 and other crap at some point in the coming week. And by “other crap” I mean Bulgarian hockey and fantasy football. You just wait.

• joetheacupuncturist says:

Have to go with Huck by a nose on a close fight. Just a better argument made for Affliction and Tanner. Although, I am a bit biased as Tanner was my favorite fighter for a long time. But it was close, Im not buying Huck’s statement about Sugar’s flash ko. Have to go with carp’ , I think he was winning the scorecards as well.

• Richie says:

yeah I’m a chiefs fan and even ithink it’s in poor taste

• flyingogoplata says:

Agreed. That Darrent Williams joke was in the utmost poor taste. For that reason alone Huckaby loses.

I however believe that Guida will outwork Danzig for the decision victory…so you both lose.

• Guy Gaduois says:

Not only did Affliction postpone the event, they re-set the location from the UFC’s backyard.
    Their card did not enthrall the masses in that venue, the hub of Big Event MMA happenings. Their 2nd card, ever. The new car smell hasn’t even worn off, right? Unless the car’s a repo and isn’t new, simply had the odometer rolled back and actually had a corpse in it for two days in high heat and humidity.
    Where was I going with this? Affliction’s got some problems.

I think the saddest part about Evan Tanner’s passing is that there was nowhere that man’s soul was comforted. Dying alone with friends awaiting your call just saddens me so much. This is a hurting world, with many hurting folks. Mr. Tanner alluded many times to his own personal despair, and yet it seems that he isolated himself to the last. That’s so damn sad.

Guida is a “flurry fighter” – like that dude who lives in a box in that kids’ movie, “Barnyard” and comes out flailing and whirling. I don’t think Mac’s seen that yet, (“Barnyard” or Clay Guida’s fight style) so it’s a great matchup. See how long M. Danzig can keep it cool and frosty and work his fight.

• Jason G says:

Did the joke about Darnett Williams get deleted? I didn’t see a joke in what Huckaby wrote.

• Yes, everything I write is starting to get edited and deleted.

• Richie says:

If you’re going to keep writing crap like that it deserves to be deleted.

• marc in bc says:

Always sad to see atheletes meet untimely deaths. The death of Vancouver Canucks prospect Luc Bourdon in a motorcycle accident earlier this year is also worth noting. He was just starting to scratch the surface of his potential and by all accounts was loved by all who knew him.

• Numba1Stunna says:

Huckaby what would make you think making a joke about d williams would be alright?

• I don’t like him and don’t care? “numba1stunna” sir.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

Stay classy, Huckaby.

• Rich S. says:

Huck,
    i just want you to know.. You could right about a freakin’ ballet recital, and i would still read the whooooole thing.. and i’d probably end up pissing my pants with laughter..

as much as i’d love to see Nate take a win here.. i don’t see it possible.. Neer’s a pretty stocky dude for LW, he just throws people around.. i know Nate’s a freakin’ BJJ Wizard, but, Josh isn’t just gonna get a sub slapped on him and tap.. no way, jose..
    if there’s one thing i’ve learned from Neer/Stevenson, it’s that Nate better slap on a choke, because there’s no way Neer’s tapping to an armbar, kneebar, ankle lock, any of those.. Nate HAS TO PUT HIM TO SLEEP.. that’s the only way..
    and there’s no way Nate wins a decision..
    if Nate DOES pick up this victory, he’ll be 1 fight away from deserving a title shot in my eyes..

• Rich S. says:

wow, i just mispelled “write”.. man.. embarrassing..

• keenan says:

huck takes this down based on the first quesion alone. i take nate over neer. do you take nate over danzig or guida? i dont know if i do.

• Imbecile says:

Carpinello says the real question is, “who will Fedor face if Andrei Arlovski and Barnett are already matched up?”

It’s pretty obvious that Affliction moved their event to California so that they could do a four man HW tournament with Fedor, Arlovski, Barnett… and Tito Ortiz.

This will amount to a reported fighter payroll of just over $12 million dollars, and an actual fighter payroll of around $20 million. Oscar de la Hoya will be writing the checks, and considering that the live gate numbers of $2 million are offest by the fact that Affliction bought half of the tickets themselves, he will be pissed off. De la Hoya will walk up to Tom Atencio and punch him in his face, but not before he pulls those gay earrings out of Atencio’s ears.

I don’t know why this isn’t obvious to everyone else. It is the only possible way things can go down since the October event was postponed.

• Rich S. says:

keenan,
    picking nate over neer so easily and then wondering if he’d take danzig or guida is.. ludicrous..

Neer would take Danzig or Guida.. so, if Nate actually beats Neer, then i’m sure he’d make it through Danzig or Guida..

i don’t think either of them would be Nate’s matchup if he won though..
    if he beats Neer i think Nate would get a fight like Huerta or Tibau or something.. doesn’t make much sense but, i bet that’s what would happen..

all i’m saying is, if you have consecutive wins over Kurt Pelli-freakin’-grino and Josh freakin’ Neer.. then you deserve a title shot.. especially with the state the LW division’s in right now.. with the exception of Florian, Nate’s past everybody when it comes to a title shot title shot..

• That’s the problem with the LW division, no one can beat Penn or Sherk. They’re apparently having Penn go fight St. Pierre and Sherk will just beat the crap out of whatever guy they put in front of him from Kenny Florian to “new guy I don’t know.” Penn and Sherk are head and shoulders above every single LW they have. It’s a talented class but UFC has 2 top 10 LWs and then like all guys 15-25 who have no chance of beating them.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

I think someone with great takedown defense and good standup has a shot against Sherk.

But aside from Penn, who could have one leg lopped off and still not get taken down, no one in UFC’s 155 class has that kind of TD. So, in that respect, you’re right.

• Grappo says:

The death of Evan Tanner is indeed a sad story, but the saddest stories for me are the ones that involve people I know personally. A high school kid I knew died of heatstroke during football practice last month. Another kid I knew was shot to death by accident a couple of months ago. Those are just 2, but there are plenty more.

I don’t consider Rashad’s KO of Liddell to be a “random knockout.” It was obviously part of his strategy and he timed Chuck perfectly.

I’m on the fence about Franklin at 205. If every Middleweight that can’t beat Silva were to move up or down in class, then there would be nobody for him to fight. There are still plenty of guys for Franklin to fight @ MW… How good a decision it was to move up is still unknown since he hasn’t fought a top-tier LHW yet. It would be hilarious if Silva moves up to LHW, causing Franklin to move back down.

Guida is a huge test for Danzig. I think Danzig will probably win, but I always have to root for Guida.

There’s no denying that Diaz is on a roll, but it’s still surprising to me. When I watch him fight, he just seems so sloppy… yet he usually ends up pulling off a submission. Can’t argue with the results. Gotta go with Diaz, even though I’m not a fan.