Guillard no longer set to face Fisher at UFC 90

A previously announced lightweight bout between Melvin Guillard and Spencer Fisher scheduled to take place at UFC 90 on Oct. 25 in Rosemont, Ill. at the Allstate Arena is no longer slated, according to UFC.com.

The reason for Guillard’s removal from the card is not yet known and the UFC has yet to officially name a replacement. However, MMAjunkie.com is reporting that Fisher’s new opponent is Shannon Gugerty.

Gugerty is 11-2, according to Sherdog’s fight finder and made his UFC debut during UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19. Facing fellow newcomer Dale Hartt, Gugerty won via submission after executing a rear naked choke at 3:33 of round 1.

Fisher, a member of Pat Miletich’s Miletich Fighting Systems, is a veteran of nine UFC fights and holds a career record of 6-3 when competing inside the Octagon. His last fight took place in June during the live season finale for the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Facing fellow native Iowa native Jeremy Stephens, Fisher recorded a unanimous decision victory.

UFC 90 is scheduled to be headlined by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva defending his title vs. challenger Patrick Cote. Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves are also scheduled to square off in a match in which the winner is guaranteed a future shot at the UFC welterweight title.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Too bad. Guillard is controversial, but he’s willing to go toe to toe, and Spencer’s a scrapper, too. Could’ve been a great fight.

• paddiosf says:

Melvin dont disappoint me agian with some undisclosed reason…I’ve defended this guy from all the bashers and haters..

• Jim says:

Anyone thinking bad pre-test???

• warcry says:

I’m waiting to hear that Melvin had to pull out because he got hair dye in his eyes. I like his talent but, his personality needs a bit of work. I think it is more an issue of immaturity. I guess we will see who gets pitted against Fisher. I just hope it is not a snoozefest.

• KTru says:

Looks like Melvin and Karo eat the same breakfast….

• Nate says:

I dislike Melvin G’s fight style. This is good news for me. Oddly though, I feel bad that he wont be in it. I guess even with fighters I dont want to watch (ever), I know they love the sport and I feel bad they dont have a chance to fight.

• Hey Jim… I had the same thought POSTITIVE PRE-TEST
    I know fighters that get pre-screen a month before a fight.
    (Mostly Cannabis Smokers)

• razzle says:

Too bad. I bet he woulda won too. If not, it would have been exciting for sure.

• Justin B says:

I was looking forward to seeing that fight. Whether you like or dislike Melvin that could of been one exciting fight. I hear what you are saying Nick these guys don’t fight they make no money, and everybody has to eat.

• Rich S. says:

that’s a shame..
    Guillard/Fisher was shaping up to be FOTY material..

• jimmy says:

Melvin is over-rated. He has major power but isn’t well rounded enough to ever be a title contender. Joe daddy stephenson showed me how good guillard is.