UFC officially announces the return of Randy Couture at UFC 91 vs. Brock Lesnar

While reported rumors had been running rampant in recent days, UFC President Dana White made it official on Tuesday afternoon that the promotion’s estrange heavyweight champion Randy Couture has re-signed with the promotion.

Calling it the “biggest fight in UFC history,” White also announced that Couture will be defending his heavyweight title vs. Brock Lesnar in his return at UFC 91 on Saturday, Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Both Couture and White confirmed that all legal issues between all parties have been resolved and Couture is returning to the UFC under terms of a new agreement. Couture revealed that the new contract was for three fights.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will remain the UFC interim heavyweight champion and will defend his title vs. Frank Mir in December. According to White, the winner of Nogueira vs. Mir will fight the winner of Couture vs. Lesnar to determine an undisputed heavyweight champion in what he dubbed as a tournament.

White was asked about a possible fight for Couture against Fedor Emelianenko but White indicated that while the promotion was interested in making it happen, Emelianenko already has an existing contract that they will not attempt to interfere with.

Couture resigned from the UFC last Oct. 12 over claims that he had not been treated by the company with respect while also expressing frustration with the promotion’s inability to make a match happen between he and Emelianenko, the former PRIDE heavyweight champion.

The months that proceeded Couture’s departure from the UFC saw ill will expressed publicly from both sides and resulted in multiple lawsuits disputing the language of Couture’s contract with the promotion.

A common theme expressed throughout the conference call was Couture’s previously expressed desire to fight Fedor. When asked by a reporter why the Lesnar fight “made sense,” Couture stated that it was “a part of a resolution” and that the Lesnar fight makes sense in order to make a fight with Fedor happen. He added that he still wants to fight Fedor but that Fedor “needs to come and fight me.”

When asked about the feasibility of making the fight happen, White repeatedly said that the promotion would not try to interfere with Fedor’s existing contract with Affliction and that they had no interest in a co-promotion of any kind. Furthermore, he said he was not interested in working with Fedor on a one-fight basis.

On the surface, Couture’s decision to return to the UFC if the promotion is unwilling to relax its policy on exclusivity does not make sense. However, White was adamant that he does not believe that Affliction will continue to promote MMA events. He said that “Affliction is dying on the vine” and “could be history soon.” White added that he’d be “horrified” if the promotion made it to January and that Affliction is losing “s—loads of money” and stated that in the state of the current economy it is unlikely the promotion could secure additional funding.

Couture’s next opponent, Lesnar, was on the conference call but was nothing more than a subplot with reporters fixated on White, Couture, and Emelianenko. At one point Lesnar proclaimed “Who gives a s— about Fedor!? This fight is between me and Randy.”

• Justin B says:

Fuck I thought that fight was going to be at the Rose Garden in Portland. I live in Seattle and was going to for sure drive down there and catch the fights. I will anyways but you only get to see super fights like that so often especially right in your backyard

• Drewplata says:

Am I the only one saddened by this? One win and Lesnar gets Randy? All b/c of TUF (i.e. Randy not fighting Big Nog)?

• Justin B says:

And get rid of that picture you have of Randy he looks like a fool in that hat and coat.

• Drewplata says:

He’s going to look like a fool regardless. And he’ll look even worse should he lose to the man/beast.

• fghtfn says:

This could be a bad fight for Couture,but I thought that against Gonzaga too.

• Patrick says:

What the hell, seriously, what the hell?

Complete disrespect to Nog and Mir with this. Mir JUST beat Lesnar, Lesnar has beaten one guy in the UFC, has a 2-1 MMA record, and even if he is a freaking monster he does not deserve a title shot like this, no-way, no-how.

Extremely dissapointed with this. Way to treat Werdum, Mir, and Nog like crap.

• fghtfn says:

This could be a bad fight for Couture,but I thought that against Gonzaga too.

• KOB says:

Bye bye Affliction!!!!!!!!!!!

• Smokes says:

What happens when Mir subs Nog and then has to face Brock again? BS!

• twindstorm says:

mir sub nog really?

• Legend says:

It’s ok Jim, Couture will beat him.

• aaronb says:

Smokes on September 2nd, 2008 3:27 pm
    What happens when Mir subs Nog and then has to face Brock again? BS!
    ………………………………………………………………………….

He gets beaten to a pulp!

• ihateemo says:

“What happens when Mir subs Nog and then has to face Brock again?”

Mir will submit Lesnar again with another tasty, Hail Mary submission. :)

• Champ says:

RANDY ‘THE NATTTTTTTURRAALLLLLLLLLLL’ COUUUTTTUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• HexRei says:

So will Lesnar vs Couture be a HW title fight?

• ihateemo says:

In all seriousness, in the unlikely event that Mir beats Nog I think that a rematch between Lesnar and Mir can be hyped up pretty nicely. “I was inexperienced when we first fought – now I’m going to take what I’ve learned and prove why I should be the champRAAWWRRRRRGHHH BROCK SMASH!!!!!!!!”.

Can’t wait!

• Matt says:

This could do HUGE numbers and will be a win-win for the UFC. If Lesnar wins he proves he belongs and goes on to future big-name marquee matchups. If Couture wins, once again he will have upset yet another bigger, stronger fighter and further cement his legacy in the UFC.

I’m sure a lot of people don’t like this for various reasons but from a business standpoint this is a money matchup and will result in future money matchups.

• Sam Caplan says:

As far as Affliction is concerned, listening to this call, it’s obvious Dana White doesn’t believe Affliction will be around. Couture hasn’t said as much but listening to the tone of his voice, he obviously feels like this is the best way to get the fight with Fedor. I think a lot of people believe that Fedor is going to be a free agent sooner rather than later.

• ufcfan says:

this is fantastic news whether your a casual or hardcore mma fan.
    the marketing train needs to get behind this now while it probably won’t
    do chuck-tito II numbers it should easily clear 700+ buys if marketed correctly.

• HexRei says:

Sam,

Great Coverage! Can you find out if Lesnar vs Couture will be 3 or 5 rounds?

• hindsightufuk says:

hahaha wicked
    i dont care who or where randy fights, i just had to see him again
    hopefully ufc will get him back in for commentating too

• Jon says:

Is there going to be audio of this anywhere?

• ihateemo says:

“Great Coverage! Can you find out if Lesnar vs Couture will be 3 or 5 rounds?”

mmajunkie.com is stating it’s a title fight and the winner will be fighting the winner of Mir/Nog.

• Sam Caplan says:

Hex Rei, it’s a title fight so it is a five round fight.

• GoofyMonkey says:

“….but White indicated that while the promotion was interested in making it happen, Emelianenko already has an existing contract that they will not attempt to interfere with.”

I think this is Dana saying “Yea we’ll get Fedor here just as soon a Affliction fails.”

• Tigerfansince84 says:

HexRei it would have to be 5 rounds because it’s going to be for the title.

• Nick says:

Drewplata-You are way off on ripping Couture’s outfit!!! He looks slick and I bet you where a FANNY PACK and a mood ring.

• HexRei says:

Sam,

thanks, i somehow missed that in the second paragraph.

• mike wolfe says:

Any details about Couture’s new contract? What did he have before, and what does he have now? That comparison, if available, will prove whether all the litigation was worth the cost, delay, etc.

• jim smith says:

• Bill Lumberg says:

This is a great day for mma-

• Jon says:

Jim, don’t get all mad at Lesnar. He’s not the one asking for a title fight or a big name. That’s what the UFC is giving him. I think people should be giving Lesnar props for stepping up to fight these big names and holding his own. And regardless of whether or not you think Couture will win, you would have to be crazy to think Lesnar won’t hold his own.

• ihateemo says:

jim smith: “Lesnar is 1 and 1 in the UFC and he gets to fight Randy? Last time I checked 50% sucked.”

Randy’s record is 16-8.

😉

• Sam Caplan says:

Yeah, who cares about rankings and contendership. The bottom line is that this is a fight that hundreds of thousands of people want to see.

• Sergio Hernandez says:

“The way I see it, White is referring to the heavyweight title situation as a “tournament.” Okay, so Couture is the one seed and Nogueira is the two seed and Mir is the three seed. Maybe Gonzaga and Werdum deserve the fourth seed instead of Lesnar, but I can live with it.”

Yeah… Werdum/Alves might be more deserving of a shot at Couture/St Pierre but what everyone REALLY wants is Lesnar/Penn standing opposite the champ.

I love this news, it’s great.

• Big Chuck says:

ihateemo on September 2nd, 2008 3:34 pm

lmao “ihateemo”

….. I should be the champRAAWWRRRRRGHHH BROCK SMASH!!!!!!!!”.

• Franky says:

I love how Randy is now calling Fedor out to the UFC instead of chasing him down.

• Dave says:

Seriously, why are people so concerned about who deserves title fights. The Mir/Nog fight is already booked, what the he*l else are they going to do. Besides, it’s not like some big name dominant contender is getting passed up.

• Jason G says:

I laughed hard when I read that. It’s the whiny little kid in the back saying pay attention to me!

• ihateemo says:

“Maybe Gonzaga and Werdum deserve the fourth seed instead of Lesnar”

Not sure I agree – Gonzaga got hammered by Randy and Werdum’s wins (boring vs. Arlovski, less than “wow” vs. Gonzaga and questionable vs. Vera) don’t scream ‘champion’ to me.

• Imbecile says:

Sam, what was Randy’s tone during the conversation?

Was he happy and excited to be back in the UFC, or did he sound slightly defeated – like this was the only available option so he took it, but wasn’t really that excited about it?

Those kinds of things are hard to judge when you don’t hear it first hand.

• Justin B says:

So is the rumored event at the rose garden off and moved to vegas. Because it would be nice to see Randy back in the northwest. He has a good fan base here from his days at team Quest.

• woooburn says:

just curious if anyone has any insight into this… isnt fedor’s contract with affliction exclusive to the u.s. (or maybe north america?) if so, why cant they try to set up randy/fedor in canada, or even the uk or russia? would that still be considered off limits, because the ufc is a u.s. based company?

• darkmetal says:

I think this is all fantastic, and I’ll tell you why:

The Lesnar haters can’t have it both ways. If they were feeding Lesnar cans they would say he wasn’t ready for the big time. Well, I guess this proves they are going to put him against one of the top heavyweights in the world, win or lose. Should Randy lose, I still doubt that he will get the respect he deserves from some, but those people will probably never give him respect, even if he gets a 7-1 record or better.

At that point the line will be, “Lesnar is just a big guy who lays and prays to win”. They even said this after his last fight, and he pretty much landed all the blows in the fight, and never backed off or simply smothered Herring.

Lesnar is no Kimbo Slice, and you need to all get over it. He is the fastest and most powerful Heavyweight in the world, even if he is not the most technically gifted at this point.

They had to provide a fight that would bring in the big bucks to satisfy Couture, he might say it’s not about the money, but considering he is coming back, this seems to have been a lie, right?

Whoever wins the fight, will be a very marketable fighter against the winner of Mir/Nog, and of course this fight has to happen considering that the entire season of TUF depends on it.

Any way you cut it, this scenario is completely brilliant, and brings the Heavyweight class back to the UFC, and does so with a vengeance….

• NoRegrets says:

According to the UFC website it will take place in vegas at the mgm

• Guy Gaduois says:

Is Randy still the fighter with the most title fights?

• GoofyMonkey says:

I think this is a very good and entertaining match-up, all belts and political contender BS aside…

If Randy beats Lesner he proves he’s still a stud. Brock will be a tough test for Randy simply based on strength and brute force. Randy will then face Nog or Mir and win or lose that he’ll fight Fedor.

If Randy loses to Brock it’s still no big deal. For Randy, it’s a huge deal for Brock… Randy will go on and Fight Fedor in “HIS FINAL MMA FIGHT”… and will serve as Fedor’s entry into the UFC.

And we all live happily ever after….

• TappinOuts4Bitches says:

If Dana White is going to pay Brock a shit-ton of money, might as well make him earn it. He might run over Randy, who knows? He looked pretty damn good against Herring, but on the other hand, Mir and Herring aren’t The Natural! I still can’t believe that he is back in the UFC! Just when I get disgusted with Dantitta, they go out and pull off some shit like that. This is why the UFC is the Top Dog!

• Darrin says:

I personally feel a little conflicted about referring to any of these men as “champion” until it’s all over, since Dana’s basically calling it a tournament. I *don’t* want to have to refer to Brock as “UFC Heavyweight Champion” between the time he (maybe) beats Randy and the time he (imo) loses to (my prediction) Nog. I’m just not comfortable with that.
    But such is business.

• Davey D says:

I am glad to see that Zuffa and Couture have come to a resolution. I am going go ahaed a predict that Randy will defeat Lesnar in November…then lose to Nogueira…afterwards Fedor will join the UFC and meet Captain America in his grand debut and defeat Couture…thus, setting up Emelianenko vs. Nogueira 4 in late 2009.

If Randy were to lose to Brock. He will still fight Fedor before he retires I believe. If Lesnar fights Nogueira in any case, he will lose. Then Nog’ will meet Fedor again when the time comes.

I am just glad Randy is back. I hope this also means we get to hear his spectacular commentary from time to time again. He is really good at it.

• HexRei says:

darkmetal wrote:

Uh, I could come up with a bunch of other motivations, such as Randy wanting to fight again before he’s eligible for social security. The cotnract dispute might have wallowed in the courts for years more.

• Toque says:

So does it make me gay if when I heard that this fight was on I got a MMA boner that would break steel?

Seriously, I haven’t been this hard since I heard that Rachele Leah was doing Playboy.

• Matt Scott says:

Sam, I don’t want to sound like some crazy dude, bt it would really be great if you answered your emails once in a while. 😛

• GB says:

And to think that only a day ago people were obsessing about the stupid Kimbio-Brett Rogers feud.

• lesnar is crap says:

This is so wrong like many of you have said. lesnar shouldn’t get to fight for a belt after one poor display of a fight if you could even call it a fight. just because lesnar has a name to the stupid fans on wwe it shouldnt give him a name in mma he still has some proving he needs to do before he deserves a shot at the belt.its sad to see that waist randys talent on crap like lesnar take away lesnars excess muscle and hes just another wrestler .

Yeah the fight will bring in the big money its sad that all they want is money.

its great that randy is back though.

• Simon says:

I know that on Randy’s contract that he signed that was in question during all the litigation, Randy asked for and recieved all that was in it. That’s why Zuffa was so baffled when he faxed his “resignation” from S.Africa. Im sure things are different know and If Randy pulls this shit again Zuffa will be ready for it. Randy’s no idiot and neither is Zuffa. I remember Dana bashing Randy’s entertainment manager for pulling this shit and getting into Randy’s head. Im also sure Dana is gonna make damn sure Randy and that douchebag hollywood manager have nothing to do with each other during Randy’s 3 fight deal. Other than that I’m just glad Randy is back where he belongs. Also you can tell who has been following mma for along time and who hasnt by all the doubt Randy’s getting about beating Lesner. Randy’s made a career out of overcoming the odds against Rizzo twice, and the first time he beat Chuck, and Vitor…So to all the uneducated and uninformed haters out there… keep doubting Randy will make you eat your words

• Simon says:

and when he came out of retirement and beat Tim and Gonzaga

• Ronnie Liddle says:

so where does Werdum fit in all this?
    i was under the impression – maybe wrong – but that Werdum was in-line for the next shot (after Mir)? did anyone ask in the press conference? is there audio of it yet?

• Mike A says:

Im scaaaaared for Randy I hope he has an amazing game plan.

• Tim Kennedy says:

Wow. This is a fight worthy of EliteXC ! Next thing you know, Kimbo will fight Ken Shamrock. Oh, wait a minute…

• razzle says:

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Can’t wait. Lesnar’s got balls stepping up like this, and it’s a win-win situation for him.

• Simon says:

A LITTLE OFF TOPIC HERE BUT I WAS WONDERING… Has anyone heard anything else about the failed Affliction Drug Test. Several big names were supposed to be mentioned on Aug 11 but so far nothing. Anyone with info on this please let me know. I know im not the only one wondering ….

• Davey D says:

Fabricio Werdum will get his shot sooner or later. His time will come. All he has to do is just keep winning. He may have to win once more after his next fight to seal the deal due to todays news. It is a good way to sort it all out.

Give the UFC time and they’ll take this thing go to a whole nother level. Imagine what their event’s will be like when they hit Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Detoit, New York, Moscow, the list goes on.

Cheers!

• Michaelthebox says:

Uh, Simon, Dewees from Affliction and Antonio Silva from EliteXC both failed their tests. There was a big hullabaloo.

• Simon says:

yahoo sports has audio of the annoucment

• Simon says:

Michaelthebox I know about them, but the site stated that some of the bigger names on the affliction card were to come on or around AUG 11…

• Ronnie Liddle says:

thanks simon.

• Travis says:

All the Lesnar haters need to give it a rest! Lesnar was a beastly collegiate national champion wrestler before he was a pro wrestler. Quit associating him with pro wrestling. Its retarded. Ken Shamrock was in the WWF after UFC and then he came back to the UFC after he made a lot of money in pro wrestling. Mma wasn’t a very lucrative way to make a living, so since brock was a national champ he chose to go where the money was, but he didn’t like what he was doing with his life so he started doing mma after it started getting popular and became a viable way to make money. The haters just need to quit whining. I have seen lesnar wrestle collegiately, professionally, and I’ve seen him fight professionally. He is a machine. Get over his pro wrestling background. He did that for like 5 years. There is no way randy is going to push brock up against the cage and dirty box him. He may have better striking then lesnar, but who cares! I’m just really excited to see what lesnar can do against couture. Its a good test for both fighters to see where both are at with their skills.mir got lucky against lesnar, it should have been stopped but mazzagatti is a horrible ref.

• Ken says:

what happened to UFC 91 in Portland? i guess higher profile and bigger bucks in vegas. i was stoked because I live in Portland.

randy, samuel l. jackson still wants his hat back….

• I agree with most on here that Lesnar doesn’t deserve a title shot @ 2-1, that being said if he does demolish Randy will we all be saying the same thing? You could then say a freak leg lock when he was dominating Mir and a domination of Herring and then Randy would prove he belongs @ the top of the division! They are paying him too much to let him fight middle class fighters and Dana is all about $ and sense! Nog Lesnar would be a great matchup! Mir cannot stand w Nogueira and on the ground is an even steven matchup. This is a move that has brought the hvys back! Imagine if u added an experienced Carwin and Fedor to the mix in April! Wow!!!

• D Bess says:

Sounds like they are pulling one of their Pride Cards out here. Pride did this stuff all the time just to get good ratings.

I was a little disappointed but, I think it will be an exciting fight.

• matt pdx says:

ken, im with you. I was all about the rose garden…would have been my first live event…guess there is always sportfight.

• Michaelthebox says:

Simon, Antonio Silva was the “big name” they were talking about. All the big-name Affliction fighters were clean.

• Jackyl says:

A lot of you are losing sight of the real picture here. The UFC is a business and part of that business is to put on fights that will do well. Like it or not this is a sellable fight. All of you that are talking shit about this fight will be right there with the rest of us watching it unfold. You really think you would be all that excited for a fight with Randy and Werdum? Of course not. Another thing is people are going to be intrigued by the matchup. How is Randy going to handle an opponent of this size and quickness? True, Lesnar is 2-1 and most fighters with that record would not be at the top of the card. But let’s face reality. He was dominating Mir before the bullshit stand up call by Mazzagatti. And if you think he layed on top of Herring…. you need to take a look at the post fight pics of Herring’s face. Lesnar is not getting these fights just because of his name. He is a huge guy. He runs a 40 in less than 6 seconds. You know his amateur accolades. What more do you want? He is the shot in the arm the UFC HW division needed. Now we have a huge fight that sets up a match for an undisputed championship.
    Have any of you heard the phrase: “Some people will bitch at a stop sign.”?

• Powers says:

And with this, affliction gets pushed by the wayside.

• TheSomberlain says:

I cant believe Lesnar had the balls to say “Who gives a shit about Fedor?”. I thought that fiasco at the end of the Herring fight was adrenaline and joy but it turns out this guy is just a stereo typical wrestler asshole (Matt Hughes anyone?). Fedor would turn his face into pulp, Guaranteed. Anyways, I hope Randy comes out on top that way he can have pull in trying to bring Fedor over but thats probably not likely because of the UFC contracts.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

So does this mean Kim and Randy broke up?

• darkmetal says:

The Somberlain, I think Lesnar was simply stating that Fedor is not fighting Couture (yet) he is. It would be similar to someone coming up to you and saying “Wow, wouldn’t your girlfriend look good if she was on Brad Pitt’s arm?” I suspect your response would be, “Screw you, she’s MY Girlfriend!”

By your way of thinking, you would be willing to discuss such an argument, ie: “Yeah, I guess if Brad Pitt ever comes along, she could date him, and might actually and probably dump me, after all, he is better looking, rich, ect ect.” And we know this wouldn’t happen, no offense.

Lesnar is simply talking about the here and now, and Fedor is simply an afterthought or dream at this point. Why even talk about it until Fedor signs a contract?

• neijia says:

Unfortunately there is little chance Couture can beat Lesnar. They have the exact same strengths (wrestling) but Randy is frigging 45 and giving up a lot of size and strength. The usual suspects who are smaller and weaker who can beat a monster wrestler are submission specalists. Lesnar will unfortunately beat Couture quickly, then Nog will beat Mir, face Lesnar, get beat on, and pull out another submission. After that, we ALREADY KNOW Fedor is better than Nog. Mma math, sure, but that all seems so obvious. Still, the bottom line – yeah, good business move, sure. Promotions need to make money, plain and simple.

• nate says:

Nejia, I think you have the mma math correct.

I still want to see Fedor vs Randy though. That would kill the mma math problem.

I dont care about the UFC vs Affliction vs etc politics, that is a business problem, not a fan problem. As a fan I want to see certain fights. What is with all the UFC/Affliction/etc. hatred. Every fan should want as much competition as possible, that means the most exposure, etc. Sure the matchups dont always work today, but if the organizations stayed long term they would make it happen.

I am excited that Randy will be fighting finally. Randy is smart and talented, but I think Lesnar is going to kill him.

• luke says:

Couple things wrong here.
    First of all, Randy comes back and is still champion after a year of being gone and after an interim champ has already been named. Second of all, mir and noguiera are supposed to fight for the title because noguiera is the champ right now and mir is top contender right now which is why they were gonna fight at the end of TUF. It is complete bull to rob noguiera of that. Thirdly, why the hell does brock lesnar deserve a title shot after two fights into the UFC, granted one was against a top contender in Herring, but come on who has won a total of two pro mma fights. Since randy is back i think they shouldve had mir and noguiera still fight in the TUF finale but the winner of that will get a shot to fight randy for the undisputed HW title, not just give a one win fighter a title shot. The only reason i believe that they did this for lesnar is to A. sell seats (which it will, but come on randy could fight anyone and sell seats) and B. Try to save the weak HW class….its all BS

but welcome back randy couture

• Andrei jM Arlovski says:

IMO,this card is going to be one of the most explosive card the UFC has made in years..

The only thing wrong with this picture is… “Lesnar’s going for the title after winning just one fight!”

Dana White is obviously putting all the stops against Affliction:Day Of Recokoning PPV by pitting the most hyped UFC/former WWe Superstar against Captain America/The Natural Randy Couture. But make no mistake,UFC 91 will be explosive. Randy will be tested here,just like his match with Napao Gonzaga,in terms of cardio,technicality,and strength. Don’t forget that Lesnar just man-handled heavyweight contender Heath Herring and almost defeated Frank Mir on his debut. The guy has the fists of a bear and the strength of a gorilla. Never the less,Randy still has the edge experience-wise and his greco-roman wrestling is one of the best. The only question about this fight is: Who wants it the most?

My guess: