Shogun Rua expects to return in December; could face Rampage Jackson

While speaking with the Brazilian website Tatame.com, UFC light heavyweight competitor Mauricio “Shogun” Rua revealed that he’ll be returning to the Octagon in December.

“I’ll be back in December,” Rua told Tatame. “They said that I might fight with Quinton Jackson, but nothing has been signed yet. They called me ad offered a fight with him and I accepted, but they didn’t say anything else more.”

Rua has not competed since UFC 76 last Sept. 22 in Anaheim, Calif. due to a knee injury that required two surgical procedures. However, he recently resumed workouts in preparation for his December return.

“I’m back to training,” he’s quoted. “I’m doing some Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu stuff, and thank God everything is fine now.”

In his UFC debut at UFC 76, Rua lost to underdog and current UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin when he submitted to a rear naked choke at 4:45 of round three. Despite the loss, the former team member of the famed Chute Boxe Academy in Brazil is still considered a top-ten light heavyweight by virtually every major rankings poll.

• Jez says:

Can’t wait for this one… although I would have rather seen a non-Pride fighter match-up

• GoofyMonkey says:

I think if both fighters come with their “A” Games this could be a steller fight for the UFC…

• KTru says:

Glad to see Shogun is returning. I would rather see him face Wandi, but doubt that will ever happen. If it didnt in Pride probably wont here either.

• warcry says:

I hope that the real Shogun shows up. If he does oh [email protected]$!!!! Shogun wasn’t explosive like what we’re used to. That Mauricio is the fighter who people were on board to crown the next champ. Both Rampage and him have gone through hardships recently so it will be a huge mental face-off as well.

• E says:

gee. who would you rather pick

the guy coming off 2 consecutive ACL surgeries?
    or the guy dealing with serious mental issues?

• Rip says:

I hope this ends up being a good fight. I like both fighter and have a hard time thinking Shogun will ever be back to his old form after a couple different knee surgeries. Although I think Rampage is a more polished fighter than he used to be. I probably will be rooting for Shogun, simply for the fact that I want to see the “PRIDE GUYS” succeed. I know Rampage is also considered a PRIDE guy already, but he has showed he can be successful and compete in the UFC already. But Shogun had a horrible showing. I’M NOT TRYING TO BE A PRIDE “NUTHUGGER,” but I just want exclusive UFC fans to realize that there has been and are top tier fighters in other organizations outside of the UFC. I love the UFC, but more importantly MMA.

• Juan says:

This if freaking crazy. Normally I root for the U.S. fighters but I have been watching Chute Box people to know that no matter what this is gonna be a sick fight. I wonder if he will break Rampages ribs again.

• ryan says:

RIP!
    that is the best thing i have heard anybody say in a long time!!!
    i have been trying my hardest to expose my friends and people i know to all of mma to see what is out there!!!
    you can tell who the top fighters are no matter where they are fighting

• ragefightingwear says:

Jackson vs Rua is not neccessary

• king mah mah says:

Shogun will destroy Rampage!………….I hope!