CSAC suspends Antonio Silva for one year

The California State Athletic Commission alerted the media via e-mail on Thursday that EliteXC heavyweight champion Antonio Silva failed a drug test administered by the commission just prior to his winning the then-vacant title against Justin Eilers on July 26 in a fight televised on SHOWTIME.

According to the commission, Silva is accused of testing positive for the anabolic steroid Boldenone. As a result of the test failure, Silva has been suspended by the commission for a year and has been fined $2,500. He has the right to an appeal hearing.

CSAC officials tested both an “A” and a “B” sample with each sample going to a separate laboratory company. Getting an appeal for a positive test overturned rarely happens, meaning that Silva is very likely to be stripped of the heavyweight title.

The commission has also alerted the media that Edwin Dewees has been suspended for alleged use of steroids as well. CSAC contends that Dewees tested positive for the anabolic steroid Nandrolone for his fight against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira on July 19 at Affliction: Banned. Like Silva, he has been suspended for a year and fined $2,500.

• Mike Wolfe says:

What a stupid waste. Silva didn’t need ‘roids to beat Eilers, for pity’s sake.

• OCD says:

I am a strength and conditioning coach. I know a bit about the ‘dirty side’ of the game, not just in MMA, but in all sports.

Nandrolone and Boldenone are both substances that can take as much as 18 months to clear your system depending on bodyfat level, etc….

More so, Boldenone is not a prescription item. It is a vet steroid, so Silva cannot even claim it was given to him by an MD. At least DeWees could make that claim.

Whomever is handling these fighters are idiots and don’t know the basics about performance enhancement. DeWees will likely be dirty even after his suspension ends.

It is absolutely stupid to use these drugs and compete hoping not to be tested…

• eazye says:

Its been brought up that he could have used these ‘roids before the Ricco fight, since Boldenone stays in your system for over 6 months

• JacRabbit says:

WTF–speachless. I hope there’s some error here.

• Joseph says:

From Antonio Silva’s Manager Representing Antonio Silva:

Dear Family, Friends, Fans and Public,

I did not use the steroid Boldenone, or any other steroid of prohibited substance. I dont agree and never have agreed with the use of this kind of product in order to win, for this is cheating. I will go to the full extent of my power and the law to prove my innocence in this matter.

• flyingogoplata says:

Good to know he’ll go to the full extent of his power to TRY to prove his innocence. That should be an awful lot of power given the horse steroids he’s been taking!

• finkrod says:

To be fair, I think he might actually have a presciption for that. I mean, the guy needs something to help him carry around that gigantic, tombstone sized head of his.

• Mike Wolfe says:

This may not be the end of the story on the Affliction card. I don’t think results for all fighters have been disclosed yet.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Maybe it’s just me, but every time I see a picture of this guy I ask myself, “Why the long face?” Maybe horse steroids are the answer.

• Venom says:

Hey Mike,
    Question.
    Do the individual promotions fine their fighters any additional moneys for these failed drug tests? It seems to me like alot of promotions just turn the other cheek when one of their fighters fails a drug test. Just curious!

• mike wolfe says:

Venom:

I don’t know the answer to that. I’ve not heard of org’s fining fighters, but that doesn’t necessarily answer the question. Certainly an org. could have a provision in its contract providing that it could withhold money until the fighter passes a drug test. Don’t know whether any of the orgs do that, though.