Will Thiago Alves make weight?

Michael David Smith over at MMA FanHouse asked UFC welterweight contender Thiago Alves what his current weight was and Alves responded that he’s walking around at 200lbs.

“Right now I’m about 200,” Alves said. “That’s 30 pounds over my weight division, but it won’t be a problem for me to make weight.”

UFC President Dana White gave Alves a smirk when I asked the question, as if to say, “You knew this was coming up.” Alves said that the only reason he failed to make weight at UFC 85 was that he sprained his ankle 10 days before the fight and wasn’t able to do the cardio routine he usually does in the days leading up to the weigh-in.

Stupid ankles. Prior to his last bout, a dominating victory over Matt Hughes at UFC 85, Alves weighed in at 174lbs. and that fact led some to believe the weight advantage was the reason he won the match.

Alves next fights at UFC 90 in October against Diego Sanchez and everyone will be keeping a close eye on the weigh-ins. Especially considering a win would put Alves at the top of the welterweight contenders list but he’s not getting a title shot until he proves to the UFC that he can make the weight consistently. Outside of pulling out of a main event the day before, the UFC’s most hair-pulling situations involve people not making title fight weights.

• Chris says:

If I were Sanchez, and Alves didn’t make weight, I would refuse the fight. It’s going to be tough enough without the weight advantage; he’d have very little to gain fighting an overweight Alves. If he lost, it’s a loss (asterisk or no); if he won, people would make the excuse Alves was drained from trying (and failing) to cut weight. It’s the only way to teach people like Alves, Riggs, Diaz, etc. to fight at a more natural weight.

• I’m “about” 200? I guess that means he could be over 200 too, right? Diego has never struck me as a big 170 pounder so he’s going to have it in for him…

• truth says:

• Rob says:

Diego is toast. He hasn’t beat a quality opponent since Parisyan in 2006, and that’s questionable because Parisyan never trains to his potential. Sanchez will be sleeping by the second round.

• Jason G says:

kinda makes me wish weigh ins happened right before the fights. i think that might discourage from extreme weight cuts

• Echolocating says:

Even if Alves makes weight, I’d be surprised if he gets an immediate title shot from a win against Diego. He already proved he can’t make weight if a hiccup happens in his training routine (he was good enough to fight, but not good enough to make weight). In my mind, the Hughes fight didn’t really raise his stock in the division.

I wonder though, would Alves be a small 185er?

• Dawny says:

To piggyback off of your comment Echolocating – in the Hughes fight it didn’t appear that Alves’ ankle was injured at all – he seemed to have fought a good fight on a bad ankle.

• steve24 says:

“Yeah it might be easy to keep advancing in the division if you walk into the fights on the fatboy side.”

If he’s fat then 90% of the world needs to get on his program.

• 1st of all, he is a HUGE welterweight!!! If he can get on a consistent program he will be tough to handle!!! I am not saying GSP has to be worried but he is a well rounded athlete with big power and grappling background! If he makes weight he will crush Sanchez in the 1st rnd. And “about 200” means at least 205 if not more!!

• Warcry says:

I agree. He better make weight because I have $20 and bragging rights riding on him. I hope Diego is arrogant enough to stand and trade with him.

• Imbecile says:

I agreed with what Sam Caplan said after Alves failed to make weight against Hughes – that it shouldn’t count towards his status in the Welterweight division.

I think it is irresponsible not to make weight, even with the ankle injury (that seemed fine during the fight). Plus, if he knew ten days out, he should have had the courtesy and professionalism to contact Hughes’ camp so that Hughes didn’t have to go through the cut, too. Alves should have already been on-weight, or pretty close, since he just fought Karo right before accepting this fight. Hughes is the one who took it on short notice, and had the harder cut, since he was late getting his training camp started.

Everyone loves to give Hughes a hard time, and a lot of the time he deserves it. But Alves could learn something from Hughes’ professionalism as it relates to the fights themselves, since he has always made the agreed upon weight.

In my opinion, Alves should have taken a bigger hit in the press for this, especially after the whole diurectics thing. If it happens again, he should be punished severely by the UFC.

• I agree 100 percent with the punishment! I think if he fails to make weight he should forfeit a percentage of his purse. If he will take. anything seriously it will be a hit to his wallett! BUT that being said at this point in both of their careers I feel Alves is just too much for Hughes. I also feel Alves needs to wake up because he is way to small to go up to middleweight!!

• darkmetal says:

Dana White’s “Smirk” is probably a bit of irritation over the whole making weight issue…as he said before, he hates guys not making weight. Alves better not come in heavy or he will raise Dana’s ire. And if he does, he will surely not fair well in the future.

30 pounds over weight? That is a lot to sweat out, he should be no more than 15 lbs over in my opinion or he might not make it. There is only so much water a person can sweat out. Fat and muscle simply do not leave the body in 1 day, it takes a committed diet to keep weight in check.

• steak_knife says:

The only fighter who should be allowed to miss weight is Gina Carano.

• Imbecile says:

@ traingleman

I agree that at this stage, Alves may well be too much for Hughes. But that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be held to the same rules. It is a matter of professionalism, and from what I have seen from Alves, he doesn’t have much of that.

I think Alves should be skating on thin ice with athletic commissions, following the diuretics dabacle and then missing weight by so much. He also got permission from the UFC to use a steroid, cortizone, for his ankle before the fight. Since it was in England, the UFC did their own testing. Now, I’m not making accusations here, but in one instance, Alves is caught using a diurectic. Diuretics can sometimes be used to cut weight, but they are more commonly used to mask steroids in your system. That is why they are banned. Then, he gets permission from the UFC to use a non-anabolic steroid in a match in England, outside of athletic commission control, which I am told also has a tendency to mask readings on tests for anabolic steroids. Add to that, Thiago has been looking massively strong these days.

None of that proves anything, but it has to raise suspiscions amongst athletic commissions. I truly hope all of this is just a coincidence, and that Thiago is able to make weight and test clean for the rest of his career. All I know is that given his history, at this moment, we should look at him with a very close eye.

• THORAZINE says:

Alves has time… he should be at 190 lbs before practice by early Sept, that would make for a better training camp and keep him in check for the coming weeks… if he misses weight again, he’s an idiot.