Report: Mike Swick added to UFC 90

MMARated.com is reporting that UFC welterweight competitor Mike Swick will be added to UFC 90, which is scheduled to take place on Oct. 25 in Rosemont, Ill. at the Allstate Arena.

UFC President Dana White reportedly made the announcement regarding Swick during the promotion’s press conference on Monday at the Millennium Park in Chicago.

White offered no indication about who Swick will be fighting on the card.

UFC 90 will be headlined by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva defending his middleweight title against Patrick Cote. According to MMA Rated, White stated during the presser that Silva could move back to light heavyweight for his next fight if he’s able to get past Cote. A future catchweight bout between Silva and current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre was mentioned as a possibility as well.

The card will also feature a welterweight fight between Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves. White also apparently stated on the record that the winner will receive a future title shot.

• Jay K. says:

Sam,

I work right near there and didn’t know about it! Can you post any info of where’s and when’s Dana or other UFC personnel are going to appear prior to the event?

• Nick says:

I thought UFC 84 was the best card of the last few years by the UFC, but this is shaping up to be even better on paper! I am very excited. I hope they get a good opponent for Swick.

Middleweight champ Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote
    Thiago Alves vs. Diego Sanchez
    Tyson Griffin vs. Sean Sherk
    Fabricio Werdum vs. TBA
    Thales Leites vs. Goran Reljic
    Mike Swick vs. TBA
    Hermes Franca vs. Gleison Tibau
    Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Horwich
    Josh Burkman vs. Pete Sell

There is not one fight on there that I would not pay money to watch. Just an awesome fight card. Hopefully Swick and Werdum get interesting matchups to put the cherry on top.

• StayDown says:

I am not sure Diego Sanchez deserves a title shot right now. As much as I hate to say it, shouldn’t Kos and Diego fight again to see who gets the shot? I mean, Kos did beat diego. Granted, he lost to GSP right after that but he has won two in a row since.

although, I can;t stand either fighter.

• flassassin says:

I think Koscheck is kind of stuck with having recently lost to GSP quite decisively. Yes, it was by decision, but I think it showed much more than an early stoppage might’ve that Koscheck will not beat GSP if given a second opportunity anytime soon.

HOWEVER, the best thing for Kos would be if either one of those guys could defeat GSP (especially Diego). Kos would be the immediate #1 contender without even having to fight a top 10 guy. Koscheck can continue to fight up-and-comers like Hazelett and still keep his standing in the division. I don’t think GSP will lose, but I’m just saying that Koscheck’s best chance is in GSP losing the belt.

• Jason says:

I think Swick may get Chicago native Rory Markham or Dustin Hazelett

• Mike Wolfe says:

If Anderson Silva wants to, he will be able to finish Cote in less than 60 seconds. No disrespect to Cote, but he’s a striker who’s fighting the best p4p striker on the planet. UFC will have move Silva up to light heavy on a regular basis because there isn’t anybody at 185 who can challenge him. Watching Silva destroy lesser competition at 185 will get old very quickly.

• Jeremy says:

I’d watch Swick fight Markham or Hazelett

• Tim says:

I hope its Markham

Either fight is a good one.

• sven says:

Sweet! I’m a huge Swick fan even though his last two at WW have not been that great. Hazelett would be the perfect opponent. Markham would be ok but I think that might end up looking alot like Swick/Davis.

• […] to 5ouncesofpain: UFC President Dana White reportedly made the announcement regarding Swick during the promotion’s […]

• WebGarden says:

Yeah I’ll be grabbing a cold one during Mike’s “fight”. Hopefully his opponent makes “quick” work of him and spares us the pain of sitting through another 3 round of Mike.

• Rob says:

Markham and Swick would be a good one. That has knock out of the night written all over it.

• Warcry says:

Fellas I think it will be Mike Swick and Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson. Anyway, the mere mention of a Silva vs Gsp catchweight fight is epic. Give me All of that!