Updated 5 Oz. of Pain Rankings for August

There isn’t exactly a ton of news going on in MMA right now so I’ve been using the time to actually take a break and rest up for once. I’ve been working on catching up on some things that I haven’t paid as much attention to as I should, including my rankings.

CLICK HERE to see 5 Oz. of Pain’s updated rankings for August. Not too many changes, but at least they are up to date now.

• Warcry says:

Only issue is you didn’t update your Gsp copy. At this stage you have him ranked correctly though

• ctateo says:

I just don’t see how Forrest belongs that high up on anyones pound for pound list. Yes he won the title, but how does that put him ahead of the other fighters on the list? Did he smash Rampage? Hell, I’d still favor Page in a rematch. Assuming Shogun’s knee heals, I’d favor Shogun in that rematch……

• Adam says:

Out of curiosity, how can Randy Couture be the seventh best pound for pound fighter in the world, but only the fifth best Heavyweight? Logically it should be more difficult to be pound-for-pound best as a Heavyweight, and he is unranked as a Light Heavy.

I know arguing with a website about something as subjective as rankings is kind of lame, but this seems like an odd oversight that just doesn’t make sense.

• Damo says:

Yeah, im not sure where Randy would fit into things. I wouldn’t have him Top Ten I don’t think. I’d definitely have him as the #1 marketed-to-hell-and-back-UFC-proclaimed-american-hero though.

A win over Tim Sylvia doesn’t get you into the rankings.. unless you do it in 36 seconds.. especially not after two brtual KO losses. Gonzaga isn’t a bad pip in his belt, but we’re talking P4P here..

I say remove Randy, move everyone up a spot, and bring Ken Shamrock into the #10 spot.

😉

• darkmetal says:

Why wasn’t Brock Lesnar included in the top 10 heavyweights? I believe Sam made a good argument he should be in there. And certainly he would beat Tim Sylvia in my opinion. That puts him at the bottom of the top ten in my book.

• Wang Chung says:

st. pierre beat fitch down, you need to move him to #1. he’s owned more top 5 guys than both silva and fedor and he’s more well rounded than just about everybody in mma.

• Wang Chung says:

..and when i say owned more top 5 guys, i mean in the world, not in the ufc(meaning the WW div. of the UFC is arguably the most stacked whereas every other division except for LHW does NOT have all the top dogs).

• LBC says:

Sam I know you already took issue to my “typo” comment a few days back, and I know this is a staff survey, but where is Mir? If Lesnar is primed for a title shot, how is neither he, nor the man who beat him ahead of Ben Rothwell who looks ready to fall off the face of heavyweight planet? And I won’t get into Gabriel or Tim being ranked 7 and 8. Gabriel, with Justin McCully aside, is coming off of two pretty dominating losses. While Mir isn’t anywhere near a golden boy, with two wins over Lesner and Hardonk he deserves to be on this list.

• Gabber says:

So, Rampage loses (what I still think was a Rampage win) to Forrest and drops below Machida, Liddell and Silva?

First off, Machida hasn’t fought really anyone of substance, he’s only fought one of your top 10 LHW.

Liddell got smoked by Rampage, he beat Silva by decision and lost to Jardine.

How are you establishing your pecking order?

• JacRabbit says:

Rampage and GSP should both be ranked higher. Silva and Fedor were bumped up past GSP in the first place because of their recent dominations–neither of which was at the level of quality of the recently dominated Fitch.

• Imbecile says:

I just don’t agree with ranking guys high who have never really fought top competition. If a guy fights only top ten fighters and wins most, but loses one or two, that is MUCH better to me than someone who has never fought a top ten fighter in their career.

Case in point, how can anybody put Roy Nelson in a top ten list? It is bad enough that Rothwell is on there, considering he has only fought one top tier fighter, and was completely outclassed, showing exactly why he should not be in the top ten.

Another example is Jake Shields and Carlos Condit being ranked above guys like Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, Karo Parisyan, and Diego Sanchez. Kos, Alves, Karo, and Diego have all been fighting top ten guys, so of course they each have a loss or two. But they also have wins over other top ten guys. Shields at least can make a case after beating Thompson, but not a case to be ranked #3.

I know it isn’t always the fighter’s fault, but they still should not benefit so much in rankings for facing inferior competition, while other fighters get punished for facing the best on a consistent basis. I like Condit and Shields, but both need to step up the competition. If Shields were really serious about that, he wouldn’t just be complaining about how he can’t fight GSP. He would sign with the organization that has the best welterweights. I guarantee if Shields really could beat all of those welterweights in the UFC, he would be heavily marketed by them, and make way more money than he is now. So there is no excuse.

I just really think that to be in the top ten, you should beat a top ten fighter. There might be one or two exceptions to that, but you should NEVER be in the top 5 without having beat a top 5 fighter. That is absurd!

…and I still can’t get off that Roy Nelson ranking. That is just really hard to swallow.

• doubleA-ron says:

why not do a poll on here as to who are the top 10 and then rank them according to percentage of votes.

• Name (required) says:

Carlos Condit ? How did he make the list and how in the world is he above
    Josh Koscheck? Koscheck would destroy Condit. I am waiting for him to fight someone like Koscheck who will put him in his place.

• Smokes says:

Man your really getting grilled on your picks. I’m assuming after the New Year they’ll all need to be shifted anyway so it won’t stay this way for long.