Report: Tito Ortiz a no-show at Affliction presser

Despite a report published late Tuesday on SI.com, former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz did not appear at Affliction’s press conference in Las Vegas on Wednesday. The promotion was in town to kickoff the push for its Oct. 11 “Day of Reckoning” pay-per-view that is set to emanate from the Thomas & Mack Center.

The news comes via a report by Sherdog.com’s Loretta Hunt.

According to Hunt, Affliction contradicted the SI report that stated it was expected to be announced formally on Wednesday that Ortiz had signed a lucrative contract. Officials with the promotion said that Ortiz has in fact not signed with the company.

Sherdog’s report goes on to add that an attorney for Affliction entertainment confirmed potential interest in Ortiz but went so far as to brand the original report by SI as a “rumor.”

It remains to be seen whether this was a case of Ortiz and Affliction being close to a deal and one of the parties getting cold feet or the report simply lacking validity.

Sherdog is also reporting that Affliction has announced matchups between Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland and Roy Nelson vs. Paul Buentello at its upcoming show in October. The two bouts join the show’s main event of Josh Barnett vs. Andrei Arlovski as fights that have been made official.

• fightfan says:

My bet is that Tito put his foot in his mouth and jumped the gun as usual. Even Affliction probably thought Tito isnt worth whatever he thought they were going to give him.

Great news!!! Tito is the most 2 faced fighter out there. He runs his mouth again and again. My favorite is when tito agrees to do someting, even signs a contract to do it, then backs out(box with Dana). Then you got the ducking of Liddel for the longest of times(while Chuck fights the top fighters and Tito just keep the belt)

Just sick and tired of hearing his mouth. You know he wants to go elsewhere, because he cant hang with the top LH in the world/UFC

• Nolan says:

This is as I predicted, Tito thinks he is worth more than Affliction can afford to pay him. He thinks any even with him on the card is the fucking Tito show, and someone needs to tell him he is washed up.

• DamonO says:

Tito, you’re washed up. There I told him.

I am sure they are hyping this whole thing up with Tito by not having him show. Keeps us on our toes. Everything with these organizations is about marketing. I can’t say for sure that Tito will sign with Affliction or anyone for that matter but all the talk about him is marketing at it’s best. It’s actually free marketing for him. So the more we talk about him the more people either want to see him get his face beat in or see him beat someone else’s face in.

• Batman says:

All I have to say is in my mind Tito and Babalu is a co main event for the ages and most certainly will steal the show.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

All I have to say is in my mind Batman is out of his mind.

• Batman says:

Sergio
    You came in here to make that comment, how pathetic.

• Bryan says:

All I have to say is that Tito vs. Babalu would without a doubt be the best co-main event ever.

at the Thomas & Mack center on Oct. 11th, 2008

• DamonO says:

Wow, even Batman loves MMA. Well duh, of course Batman loves MMA! He probably studies it for his fights against evil villains.

All I have to say is that Batman is not out of his mind. He’s still alive and so is the Actor that plays his part. As much as I love Mr. Ledger, why would you continue to put your body through so much just for a paycheck that you can’t even spend?

Tito vs. Babalu = Awesome!

I agree that If I had the choice of seeing that fight as the main event compared to the Arlovski vs. Barnett fight, I would definitely pick Tito vs. Renato.

• Kelvin says:

Bryan, it would be a snoozefest…like the past two Ortiz fights.

• Mike says:

tito vs babalu = boring morons

• Warcry says:

Not to pile on but those two cats are on the down hill slide doc. Not main event material

• mikee says:

Yet everyone is still talking about it like it is one of the most exciting topics to date! News flash for ya, it is exciting! Who wouldn’t want to watch Tito vs. Babalu?? Maybe it isn’t the best co- main event ever put together but damnit mang, it is definitely interesting no matter how washed up either one of them may or may not be. For the few of you that won’t buy the ppv event, you know you will wake up Sunday morning and search for that crap on the internet.

• Michaelthebox says:

Not only is batman out of his mind, he’s a toolbag too.

• Batman says:

I don’t know what that means, but why don’t you shut up jack in the box.

• Batman says:

Im just giving my opinion on mma if that makes me out of my mind then so be it.

• darkmetal says:

LOL, I can’t wait until after Tito fights his first fight for Affliction and comes out pissing and moaning that they are mistreating him, he is a star, did I say that I am banging Jenna Jameson, ect ect.

He can be their problem now, good riddance.

Oh wait, maybe they are already anticipating that….

• Patrick says:

Tito vs. Renato Sobral is a really piss poor excuse for a fight, anyone in this thread that has said it’s “exciting” is flat out wrong, and here’s why:

1) Both guys are on the slippery slope down the suck tube of ex-ufc’ers.
    2) Sobral vs. Tito “calling out” is completely manufactured for hype, these guys couldn’t care less about eachother.
    3) Sobral is a terrible matchup style wise for Tito, maybe if you put Tito and Sobral together as one fighter… they might do well on the ground but you’d have to find a third guy to join with these two mooks to make a complete fighter.
    4) Style wise we know Sobral has some ground skills and can operate from the bottom and is comfortable there, we know that Tito can ONLY operate from the top on the ground and nowhere else in a fight. They’re setting up a fight of convenience where both guys get to just be in their most comfortable positions essentially. It’s BS, terrible matchup, lazy match making.
    5) Neither of these two guys is exciting to watch, the pace of the fight won’t be good, and neither is able to pull off anything exceptional or out of the ordinary, it’ll be 3 rounds of blah + elbows.
    6) These guys are on losing streaks (other than when they fight complete morons/tomato cans), this fight is equivalent to watching two bums fight over a scrap of food. They can’t hang anywhere NEAR the top of their division and it’s for a reason: they are not complete fighters, nor have the facilities to compete with guys who tough it out and push out of their comfort zone.

There are more reasons I’m sure, but that’s all for now kids.

• Mikee says:

Tito can’t operate from the bottom? Neither fighter has the facilities to compete at top level? Not exciting to watch? WTF are you talking about? I could go on for a very long time about how ignorant that statement is. Can’t hang anywhere NEAR the top of their division? Dude, where have you been? Wake up.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

And I’m giving my opinion on your opinion.

And my opinion is that you’re out of your mind.

• Jim Bo says:

I would much rather watch two seasoned fighters go at it, even if on the downslope, versus watching endless TUF bouts. Guess they are the only ones willing to fight for what Dana is paying.

• Patrick says:

Mikee… I don’t think it’s me who needs to wake up. If you believe these guys can hang with the best in their division then you’re out of your mind.

Tito can’t operate from the bottom and he can’t strike. Tito and Sobral fighting would definitely not be an “exciting match”.

• Batman says:

Sergio
    blah blah blah, you are a moron.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Haha, whatever you say, Batman.

Welcome to 5 Oz., by the way. Did you wear your welcome out on the Sherdog boards?

• Mikee says:

Patrick, I’d have to disagree with you yet again. By no means is Tito’s striking top level, but it is not too shabby either. If Tito couldn’t strike then Forrest would’ve tore him up on the feet. He didn’t. If Tito couldn’t strike then he wouldn’t have lasted 3 and a half rounds with Chuck. But he did. Tito, once he loosened up and got a little more comfortable and wasn’t afraid to eat some leather, actually looked very impressive and did do damage and land some good strikes. To both Liddell and Griffin. In the Griffin fight, their stand-up looked pretty comparable in my opinion, you could tell Griffin was more comfortable and a more “seasoned” striker, but hardly landed shit because Tito has good stand-up defense. When Tito landed a punch you could tell it was felt. Now I’m rambling, but UFC 61 and UFC 66 both of these fighters fought for the belt so I don’t think I’d go so far as to say they can’t hang with the big boys.

• Batman says:

I’ve never been to the sherdog board

• Batman says:

i just wonder if anyone saw the forrest Griffin vs Tito Ortiz fight. Did you guys miss tito raining down vicious brutal elbows to forrest’s face and making his face bleed all over the place?

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Batman, in all seriousness, that fight was over two years ago and a strong case can be made for Griffin winning that fight.

Since then Ortiz has gone 2-2-1 with both of his wins coming from a punch drunk Shamrock and both one-sided losses coming from legit Top 5 LHWs.

His takedowns suck now and his stand-up never really instilled fear in his opponents. That doesn’t make him a terrible fighter but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking he’s a Top 10 205er or that his fight with Babalu shouldn’t be billed as “UFC rejects who have gotten knocked out by Liddell twice.”

• Batman says:

Sergio
    quit swinging from my nuts.