Report: Guillard vs. Fisher could be added to UFC 90

A lightweight bout between Melvin Guillard and Spencer Fisher is in the process of being finalized for UFC 90 on Oct. 25, according to a report on MMAWeekly.com.

The report indicates that both fighters have been sent bout agreements that are expected to be signed in the coming days.

Fisher’s trainer, Pat Miletich, isn’t exactly pleased about the tentative matchup.

“Spencer has no reason to fight that guy,” Miletich is quoted as saying by MMA Weekly’s Tom Hamlin. “I don’t think Melvin’s earned the right to fight him yet. I think Spencer should be fighting somebody where he’s got something to gain.”

Guillard is 21-7-2 lifetime and holds a record of 4-3 in the UFC. He returned to the Octagon at UFC 86 after a one-fight sabbatical from the promotion and was victorious last month when he TKO’d Dennis Siver at 0:36 of round 1. Prior to the win, he has suffered consecutive losses while in the UFC.

Like Guillard, Fisher also has 21 career wins against four defeats. A veteran of nine UFC fights, Fisher is 6-3 while competing in the Octagon and holds notable wins over Thiago Alves, Matt Wiman, Dan Lauzon, and Sam Stout. He last competed in June during the live season finale for the seventh installment of “The Ultimate Fighter,” recording a unanimous decision victory over Jeremy Stephens.

UFC 90 will emanate from just outside of Chicago in Rosemont, IL at the Allstate Arena and will be headlined by Anderson Silva defending the UFC middleweight title against Patrick Cote.

• Spencer doesn’t have too much to lose so long as he wins. If he can’t beat him there should be no complaining. I really like the bout.

• Justin B says:

I would love to see these guys stand up and throw. That could be more exciting then Fisher’s fight against Stout. But if Spencer is smart he takes his ass down.

• JOe K. says:

I agree with Pat Miletich. He doesn’t have much to gain in this fight.

Guillard has a punchers chance for sure.

• tricky dicky says:

+1 on agreeing with Miletich

My 2 cents has the UFC trying to push Guillard. Hopefully he loses, AGAIN and falls off the face of the earth.

• saerbarnet says:

Hopefully Guillard loses and goes away from my TV forever

• Derek B says:

I’m putting my money on Gulliard here. As much as I hate a cocky fighter. I just don’t see the bout going to Spincer. I think Gulliard is going to put the pressure on him in the first round and win by TKO. Just my 5 cents worth.

• egad81 says:

Melvin Who?

EXACTLY!

• Mike Wolfe says:

The longer the fight goes, the better it is for Fisher. Guillard has gassed out in the past, and I’m not convinced he’s really changed his ways. IMO, if it gets past the first round Fisher will win by ko.

• joetheacupuncturist says:

yep pats totally right , Melvin sucks and always will. This is a no win for Fisher. he will destroy mevin though. Fisher can tap him or KO

• DamonO says:

Spencer is a very smart and tough guy to deal with. I don’t see Melvin Guillard pulling off a TKO. I see Fisher bringing him to the ground after a couple of good hits to the face and submitting Guillard. Sorry Melvin, I love ya buddy but I gotta take Spencer on this one. All I gotta say is put the pressure on and keep it on but be careful.

• JBAR says:

The UFC has enough talent at 155, why do we still have to deal with Melvins BS? I would like to see Spencer VS Clay Guida.

• The reason why Melvin is still in UFC is because he is like a car accident, u have to look and see what happened!!! Melvins speed and athleticism are amazing! His power @ 155 is second to NONE! He has a punchers chance vs. anyone he squares off against! He belongs here because if he culd just improve his ground game slightly he would be dangerous!

• Warcry says:

This matchup is gonna go one or two ways. Stays standing Melvin by Tko. Goes to the ground Fisher effortless submission. Melvin has mentally broke in the past so if things don’t go his way frustration could lead him into doing something stupid( like coloring his hair blond). I digress

• JBAR says:

I agree with you on his talent and potential but when you are trying to improve the image of the sport Melvin has more potential to give the sport a black eye that will make rampages incident look like jaywalking. I have no problem with giving people a chance to turn their life and career around but I think those chances need to be earned. I can’t see that Melvin has done that.

• Rich S. says:

*Ahem* *Ahem*

Can you say… FOTY candidate??

can not wait.

• paddiosf says:

Give Melvin a chance I think he’s a good fighter with a whole lot of potential and he always puts up good fights never backs down to anyone..What’s wrong with a guy who maybe cocky, look at Baroni he is still in the sport and he is cocky as they come..But no everyone wants to say all these comments like bad for the sport or fall off the face of the earth..these comments only mean one thing to me..

• AH says:

I didnt know Guillard was one of the Baha Men…

• ihateemo says:

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT! Hahahaha.

Seriously though, I think this is a great match-up. For all his showboating and lousy attitude, Guillard has speed and power on his side…at least for the first round.

I don’t think it’s fair to say Fisher has nothing to gain here. Despite his natural talent, Guillard’s attitude rubs a lot of fans the wrong way and Fisher putting Guillard on his ass or making him cry “uncle” is going to draw a lot of spectators and win Fisher some more fans. As far as title contention goes…maybe not. But I for one really want to see Guillard go up against a top gatekeeper and get his behind handed to him on a plate.

• Matt C. says:

that pic of melvin rules.

• Rich S. says:

why is it that Guillard’s record keeps switching from 21-7 to 40-8 on and off..

sometimes i see it listed as one, and sometimes as the other.. all from credible sources..

FightFinder: 21-7
    UFC.com: 40-8

and i believe they use the 40-8 one at Live PPV’s..

any answers?

• tallsforeverybody says:

I hope this ones free…I’m not going to pay to watch Silva destroy Cote. How did Cote did a title shot?

I’d rather watch the Maine-iac grow grass.