Report: Tito Ortiz vs. Babalu Sobral could co-headline next Affliction event

A light heavyweight clash between former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz and former UFC light heavyweight title contender Renato “Babalu” Sobral is close to being added to the card of Affliction’s next show, according to a report by Yahoo! Sports’ Steve Cofield.

The proposed Ortiz vs. Sobral bout would co-headline Affliction’s Oct. 11 show at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. The tentative main event for the show will feature Fedor Emelianenko defending the WAMMA heavyweight title vs. former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski.

Cofield contacted Affliction V.P. Tom Atencio would not confirm the report. The promotion won’t be releasing further details about the October show until a Aug. 6 news conference that will be taking place in Las Vegas. Atencio also indicated that he was under the impression that under the terms of Ortiz’s non-compete with the UFC that they cannot speak with him until Aug. 4. He also expressed that financial Ortiz’s financial requirements could also be a concern.

Ortiz is 0-2-1 in his last three fights and last competed on May 24 at UFC 84, losing a unanimous decision to undefeated light heavyweight Lyoto Machida. Prior to the Machida fight, the last time he had competed was the previous July, going to a draw with Rashad Evans.

Sobral is 30-7 in an MMA career that dates back to 1999. He was dismissed from the UFC last August following a submission victory over David Heath at UFC 74. After tapping Heath with an anaconda choke at 3:30 of round 2, Sobral refused to immediately release the hold at referee Steve Mazzagatti’s instruction.

Since leaving the UFC, Sobral has compiled a 2-0 record and most recently fought on Affliction’s first-ever show on July 19, record a unanimous decision over Mike Whitehead.

• rach says:

This story is at least a week old. I read it on Rear Naked News and MMACrunch last week.

• matt says:

The positives about having tito on the card is that you’re pretty much gonna get atleast 300k buys…butttt his price will be more than Tim’s.

• eazye says:

Damn Tito’s head is huge … I think Tito destroys Babalu. I’ve never really been impressed with him during his UFC days. He never beat that “top notch” opponent on a big stage. I mean, yea he beat Shogun but that’s not a win that many know about.

• JOe K. says:

Babalu will win.

• BJJDenver says:

#3 Joe K, agreed.

Either way, this would be a nice headliner with Fedor/AA.

Curious to see how much Tito would get paid. I doubt if he gets Sylvia money, considering the losses from their first show, but who knows?

• Evan says:

I don’t see Tito raking in 300k buys.

• Jeff L says:

Expect a ridiculous payday as Affliction sinks themselves for Tito. As to the fight, Babalu will beat him. Babalu is on easy street as Tito cant/wont stand with him, and Babalu is sick off his back. Sub by RD2. The hardest thing to predict will be how many freaking times we have to see these two fall out the ropes.

• Kelvin says:

I agree with Evan…boring fight written all over it BTW.

• Bad Monkey says:

The biggest issue is how much of Tito talking and bad mouthing the UFC will we have to endure leading up to the fight?

Otherwise, should be a good co-main event to the Fedor/AA fight.

War Arlovski!!!!

• Evan says:

Tito better cash in, this could be his last big pay day but I can’t see him taking this fight. I am sure he’s looking for a few lay-up’s to get his name back up in the W column.

Another loss would be devastating to his already shrinking value.

• Zack with a ck says:

Alright!!!! The time machine fights continue…or is it more accurate to refer to their matchmaking as “vintage”?

This fight has zero relevance.

• Rich B says:

Gatekeeper d. gatekeeper via unanimous insomnia.

• ultmma says:

Hey UFC I already got your counter programing for Oct. 11th ready to go free of charge

a 8 hour loop of the D White documentary Bad Blood “White vs. Ortiz” in a boxing match because remember if you teach boxing you can beat up a UFC fighter :)

• Cathedron says:

Bad Blood was hilarious. Tito attempts to play mind games with Dana White and forgets that Dana has an entire production team at his disposal.

Tito v Sobral? I actually have to agree with Dana White. Tito isn’t concerned with fighting lately. Sobral has something to prove and everything to gain. Plus, I don’t think Tito’s ever fought in the ring. Considering how incredibly one dimensional Tito’s game is, the ring takes away about the only thing he has going for him.

• Anthony says:

I like tito but man is he boring that ground and pound style went out years ago.

• doubleA-ron says:

this should sell tickets $$$. tito is a guy you hate to love.

• JOe K. says:

This should sell tickets to itself.

Although, I will buy to PPV

• Cobra Kai says:

Is that really the best picture of Tito that this site has access to?

• Davey D says:

Better late than never right? I glad to see this news make it’s rounds. This one has been a long time coming. Hell, seeing Ricardo Arona against either of these two would be sweet. I read elsewhere today that Arona want’s to be in the UFC so…oh well.

I’ll take Babalu via submission if this bout happens.

• Bradster says:

Face it…Tito’s heart isn’t into it like it was when he was the UFC LHW champ. His winning record streak is really that only over Ken Shamrock who’s a washed up old man who can’t even take a jab to the face anymore. I saw what Babalu did to Whitehead & I know Whitehead can smash Tito. What has Tito done in the last 2 yrs to make him worthy of a ranked fighter like Babalu? His record is too questionable to be deserving of a high payday. He couldn’t even get past Rashad Evans, who is now earning a fight against Liddell which is a shocker, and a slap in the face of Liddell if you ask me! Tito, hang up the gloves & go watch Jenna get her face jizzed on by other guys when she reports to work each day!

• batman says:

I think Tito Ortiz will beat babulu, I think he had evans beat but he grabbed the cage. Lyoto Machida runs away too much period. Chuck liddell is just plain awesome so no point deductions there. I think he needed to get out of the UFC they were completely against him. They just wanted to make him look bad. I’m excited to see his first fight where he can actually focus on the fight and not the drama of the UFC.

• stevefiji says:

This is hilarious….. Hahahahahahaha! Hahahahahaha! That’s Affliction talent at it’s zenith!

I just can’t wait to see The Donald in the front row watching this fiasco cheering for his biz savvy bad boooooy… Jenna will be on The Donald’s arm looking like MMA’s version of WWE Vince and his family.

And when the main event is over… Don Johnson will reunite with Phillip Michael Thomas for a Miami Vice ‘Crockett vs.Tubbs’ Reunion in the center of the ring…. while Midnight Oil Mini-Me declares this was the greatest card of all time.

During halftime, Michael Madsen will recreate his famous ‘cut off the dude’s ear’ scene from Pulp Fiction with James Thompson’s ‘Kimbofied’ left ear… Randy Couture had volunteered for this role but alas, they could not find his ear…and the musical guest is The Jackson 4 as Michael had to leave early because he got blood on his surgical mask when The Donald got some on his Yellow Tie

The UFC will loan out Wilmer Valderrama for the event because let’s face it… we all hate Fez and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he score hot Hollywood babes…he just cannot act… Try and watch his straight to DVD flick ‘Diego de la Muerte’ aka ‘The Dead One’ you WILL not get through it.. it’s that bad.

And word is, Pedro Rizzo is back, he will fight Ben Rothwell and/or Tim Sylvia for the “I Could Not Care Less Fight of the Night award’

Good times ahead people.

Cheers Mates

• Rich S. says:

well, i’m interested in this match-up..

i want to see some punishment inflicted on Babalu..

• mike wolfe says:

Cathedron has a good point. Tito’s takedowns (and Babalu’s, too) will be more difficult in the ring than in the octagon. The question then becomes who has stronger stand up. Both of them have struggled against good strikers, so that’s a tough call. I’m leaning toward Babalu because he seems to have fewer distractions.

• king mah mah says:

I hope Tito beats the shit out of Babalu just to shut up the haters.

You know people say his record is questionable, but he lost to Machida who is undefeated, he lost to liddell who can knock anyone out, and he got a draw against Rashad only because of a point deduction! Where does all the question about his fighting skills come into play?

Tito has something to prove too and I think he’ll prove it against Babalu!

• king mah mah says:

p. s. the most exciting part of the machida fight was when Tito damn near submitted him!!!!

• mike t says:

I thought this event was going to be in the cage (at least thats what I read on some website)????