UFC: Silva vs. Irvin quick results

UFC Silva vs. Irvin – 7/19/08 – on Spike TV

Here’s the latest on the UFN 14 event featuring Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin event:

silva_irvin_170.jpg Silva vs. Irvin (at LHW) via KO (Strikes) Rd 1. Silva caught an Irvin kick and smashed his face with a straight right. Fight over in one minute.
vera_andy.jpg Vera vs. Andy via Unanimous Decision. More boos for boring Vera.
franca_edgar.jpg Edgar def. Franca via Unanimous Decision. Excellent action, Edgar controlled for most of the fight, with Franca throwing huge knees at the end.
velaquez_obrien.jpg Velasquez def. O’Brien via TKO (Strikes) Rd 1.
burns_johnson.jpg Burns def. Johnson via TKO (Strikes) Rd 3. Johnson got poked in the eye badly, dropped to the ground.
taylor_cb.jpg Dollaway def. Taylor via Submission (Peruvian Necktie) Rd 1. SICK submission!

Undercard:

• Tim Credeur def. Cale Yarbrough via TKO (Strikes) Rd 1.
  • Rory Markham def. Brodie Farber via Knockout (Head Kick) Rd 1.
  • Brad Blackburn def. James Giboo via TKO (Strikes) Rd 2.
  • Nat Loughran def. Johnny Rees via Submission (Triangle Choke) Rd 1.
  • Shannon Gugerty def. Dale Hartt via Submission (RNC) Rd 1.

Check out more UFC Fight Night 14 content on 5 Oz. of Pain.

• Rich S. says:

Anthony Johnson’s knees = HOLY FREAKIN’ CRAP!!!

Burns’ chin = HOLY FREAKIN’ CRAP!!!!

i hate the way the fight ended.. Johnson had everything going for him until the final eye poke.. man, i thought for a sec, he might have had an orbital fracture or something cause he was just screaming.. OUCH..

what’s up with Hermes??

it seems like all you have to do is give him an aggressive wrestler and he’s done for.. HE REALLYYYYYY NEEDS TO CHANGE SOMETHING.. maybe drop to 145 and head over to WEC.. because his gas tank is ridiculous.. he had a few good last attempts like that armbar in the 3rd, and that amazing knee.. but other than that.. he was screwed from the beginning..

i can’t believe taylor actually lost to the peruvian neck tie.. idk.. i think taylor can stay at MW for a while, cause he’s big.. but CB should drop to WW, where he would be simply AMAZING..

so far this is a good card.. i can’t wait for Vera and Spider…

• blase says:

vera is so boring. this guy doesn’t deserve any hype

• HexRei says:

@#3 I’ve seen lots of his fights including ones before he came to UFC and that last one was the first one you could really call boring and lay the blame with him- Tim Sylvia holding him against the cage isn’t really his fault after all.

He looked gassed and cautious against Andy, probably cause of the weight cut, and probably in part because he knew another loss would mean moving down to WEC or KOTC.

• HexRei says:

SILVA FTW! IRVIN NUTHUGGERS GO HOME 😀

• blase says:

wow, silva made short work of irvin.

• blase says:

@#4 I just don’t like his style and don’t think he’s deserving of all the hype he gets. that’s just my opinion though, i know a lot of people like him.

• Patrick says:

I will admit that I completely underestimated Anderson… I mean I know he’s great, but now I’m pretty sure I’ve realized that he’s not just great, he’s pretty god damn amazing.

Wow, fun night of fights for sure.

• Rich S. says:

Anderson’s invincible..

• damon says:

anderson vs sho gun that would weed out all the fakers 19.95 one fight i would buy it for 39.95

• damon says:

what was going on this website? couldn’t get to it earlier. my wife said that fedor is abeast and as of right now is unstoppable but called for brock vs fedor in year 2010. that actually could be very nasty. What do ya’ll think

• roro says:

i wonder what vera’s excuse would be…. i know dana wants to hype him to bring him to the philippines next year but.i think he’s just not worth it… lacks the heart

• ACK! says:

@ #11: Not sure why we’re talking about this here…

Anyway, I actually told my brother that I’d love to see Lesnar get his game together and legitimately challenge a guy like Fedor in a few years. At this point I’m thinking Brock is too supsectible to submissions regardless of his absurd strength and, of course, we’ve yet to see much of his standup, but he certainly has the physical tools to be an ridiculously dangerous heavyweight. Let’s hope he can put it all together.

• Neil says:

Isn’t it customary to hide the results incase you get someone wandering on who hasn’t seen a card, or is DVR’ng one in favor of another?

Just like I called it, Franca got wrassle’d the same way he did against Sherk. I like the idea of moving (read: not demoting) him to the WEC, because he could be a serious threat. As it is in the UFC though, it seems all you need is a good wrestling background, and you’re good to go.

Tough luck for Anthony Johnson, and I really REALLY hope he can somehow appeal that decision. If poking someone in the eye nets you a TKO, then sign me up for MMA: I’ll be headed for gold in no time. This is just another example of poor officiating in the past month or two. I’m not knocking the officials (ok, I am), but there really needs to be some kind of oversight in these sorts of situations. All of the latest controversy gets this one added to the pile, and Mazzagatti needs to have a stern talking to.

All in all everything went the way it was supposed to… I’m just glad we didn’t see Jake O’Brien lay’n’pray Valesquez, which I’m sure was his gameplan 😉

• Juan says:

I waited almost three hours for the main event and it only lasted 1 minute. Good thing we didn’t pay for that fight. Silva knocked him the fuck out in mid air too.

• JOe K. says:

I have no idea why the UFC keeps giving Vera more chances. If he was any other fighter he would have been gone by now.

He’s such a bro.

• Matt C. says:

“Silva knocked him the fuck out in mid air too.” that’s the best way to say it. Irvin actually is in mid swing with a right hook when Silva smashes his mush. Both feet were airborne. What a KO.

That night I believe we saw to finishes that the UFC crowd has never seen..a Peruvian necktie and a mid-air KO.

• Mike R says:

You have the results of the Rees/Loughran fight reversed. On the UFC site they show Loughran as the winner.

• Medium Seen says:

CB Dollaway is a dirty fighter. The neck-tie was cool, but no one is talking about the savage illegal knee he smashed Taylor in the face with moments before that. He threw illegal knees on the show and punched the back of some heads too. The he had the ultimate display of classlessness by saying he never tapped. Basically, I fucking hate the guy, I don’t think I can ever cheer for him, plus I don’t think he’s ever going to become a 185 lb title holder, he don’t have the heart or the talent.

• oneill says:

Come on guys. Havent you seen Vera previous wins? Its really exciting plus he just recently fought with Werdum this is a short notice for him. I think he will put in good results the next fight

• dieslow says: