Aleksander Emelianenko off of Affliction: Banned; Gary Goodridge tapped as last-minute replacement

According to Sherdog, Aleksander Emelianenko was denied his license by the CSAC because he did not meet requirements and the fight with Paul Buentello on Saturday is off.

– Though Sherdog then came through again, stating Gary Goodridge would be named as a replacement on the Affliction card against Buentello since he was already licensed to fight in the state.

James Irvin originally weighed in at 207.5lbs for his main event against Anderson Silva but on his second try made 206lbs to get to the light-heavyweight limit. Every fighter on the UFC card made weight for their fights on Saturday.

– Everyone made weight for the Affliction: Banned card (Fedor: 230lbs, Sylvia: 263lbs) outside of Justin Levens. Levens weighed in at 189lbs for his middleweight bout but was granted his fight against Ray Lazama, though he will give up a percentage of his purse to him.

• Albert says:

I was most lookin forward to the aleksander fight damn i bet in Las Vegas the fight would still be on CSAC is really starting to bug me but poor aleks he looked really excited to be fighting on this card.

• Jackyl says:

Any word on the exact reason?

• Zack with a ck says:

The source on the UG that knew about Goodridge hours before Sherdog is the same source that claims Aleks has hepatitis.

• eazye says:

When was the last time Aleks fought on U.S. soil?

• D.Capitated says:

I don’t believe Aleks ever fought in the US. He fought in Canada once.

• Let’s see here…. carry the one….

Never.

• Zack with a ck says:

I think never. He fought in Canada but that org may have been fine with just a medical clearance from a Russian doc.

• eazye says:

Very interesting … I don’t think NSAC would license him either with herp, if thats true.

• HexRei says:

herp and hep are very different diseases, lol

• Brent says:

Not just hep, but hep-B:

Nasty – he’ll never fight in the US again if his second test is positive.

• batman says:

Well I wouldn’t jump to conclusions just yet, although I think he was a big attraction. I think affliction knew he might have this problem so thats why he wasn’t advertised as a main attraction.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

So you’re telling me a guy who grew up poor in Russia with extensive prison time and a body covered in tattoos including some which signify drug use might have some kind of venereal disease?

Huh.

• D.Capitated says:

Ray Mercer and Henry Akinwande are both pro fighters who tested positive for Hep B. Mercer fought once in three years afterwards and Akinwande didn’t fight for a period of about 15 months, but his stock collapsed in the interim. If I were a legitimate pro fighter, I wouldn’t want to be in an MMA match with someone who had it, personally, a hundred times more so than if I were a boxer. If you cut Aleks and you end up on the ground, that blood is going to be all over you.

• platypus says:

hep was an unconfirmed rumour, dont just jump to conclusions

• JOe K. says:

If you’re going to jump to conclusions. Buy a jump to conclusions mat.

You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor… and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

• Zack with a ck says:

Guffman never showed

• Brandon says:

Whoa CSAC allowed Goodridge to step in, that dude is beyond punch drunk. Aleks must have the “hep” or something major for them to allow Gary over him!