Video: Vai Sikahema destroying Jose Canseco during celebrity boxing match

Yes, I know it’s not MMA, but it is combat sports-related and something that I feel some feel are interested in. But this weekend, former standout NFL kick returner and current Philadelphia television sports anchor Vai Sikahema totally thrashed former baseball player Jose Canseco.

I consider Canseco to be one of the most despicable people in professional sports, so I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I’ve never met Sikahema, but I’d like to buy the guy a beer for getting in the ring with a guy that was nearly 50 pounds heavier than him and possibly on performance enhancers for the fight.

Canseco has said in the past he wanted to get involved with MMA. He was also attached to the Mark Burnett/EliteXC celebrity MMA television project that never got off the ground and appears to be dead at this point. Hopefully being embarrassed in such a high-profile way will encourage Canseco to keep the words “MMA” out of his damn mouth.

• bcolflesh says:

Hopefully a bunch of deluded baseball players learned a lesson.

On a different note – Sam, no story about Abouata choking out Carlton “Fiveouncesofpain Blog Hype” Haselrig?

• Sam Caplan says:

Brent, did you read the site this weekend? We mentioned it in our results recap from the weekend and I have a BCX results post going up later.

• Grape Knee High says:

I don’t know if they mention this in the linked video or not, but to be fair, Sikahema used to box when he was younger.

As far as Canseco, aren’t you throwing around the hyperbole a little loosely? He’s a dolt and a fool, surely, but despicable? Rae Carruth and Michael Vick are despicable. Canseco is not even in the same league.

• Pramit says:

Sam,
    I think your characterization of Canseco is a little unfair. What makes him despicable? He’s only done what pretty much every other baseball player of his generation did in taking steroids. The one major difference is that he admitted to it. And his tell-all book has turned out to be quite accurate.

Also to say that he was possibly on enhancers is inappropriate. First the word “possibly” essentially renders the sentence meaningless but why even throw it out there? Canseco has been honest about his use of drugs and claims he hasn’t been on them for a while. Should we believe him? Don’t know but until there’s evidence he’s actually on the drugs, I think we should reserve that sort of judgement.

• Gyro says:

I knew Canseco had some heavy martial arts experience, couldn’t remember if it was BJJ, Kung Fu, of Judo. If it was BJJ or Judo, i thought he might stand a chance in a MMA fight. After watching that, nevermind…

The man is a Rat, but the truth is, most or all of what he said wasn’t a lie. What he did had a real impact in not just baseball but in all sports. He did do it to help himself profit tho, which rubs me the wrong way. He got exactly what a cocky SOB deserved in that video.

• OddTom says:

I tend to agree with Pramit. Canseco’s personality certainly rubs me wrong, so I’m not exactly waxing tragedy over his loss. Frankly, if this keeps him and any other ball-chaser out of MMA, all the better. But him being one of the most despicable people in professional sports? Why, exactly? It looks like he was in kindred company.

The individual they were interviewing who called Canseco a “rat” I think sums up the attitude pretty well: Canseco being a cheat like the rest of baseball wasn’t the problem, it was him turning around and becoming an honest cheat that got everyone’s panties in a knot.

In the end, hopefully Jose, Lennox, and any other retired athlete looking for an easy paycheck considers a different avenue. Reality TV, perhaps?

• Matt C. says:

Canseco is awful, who are you kidding. Does anyone seriously want to see this guy associated with any sport, MMA or otherwise? What’s the point of defending Canseco anyway? What exactly does that gain?

• BJJDenver says:

I don’t hate Jose, but this was pure hilarity!!

• Trust Doesn't Rust says:

it’s awesome that sikahema boxes like he used to return kicks. so this is a minute-long clip, and you get screamin a’ doing his thing for 50 seconds of it, and maybe 5 seconds of the actual fight. great coverage as always, espn.

• mike wolfe says:

I’d be a little careful about criticizing Canseco for using steroids. Plenty of well-regarded MMA fighters have been busted for using them. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, etc. And as far as him being a rat or a snitch, so what? If other baseball players were dumb enough to use steroids, how can they complain when their conduct is discussed? How does that go? “Sure I’m a cheater, and maybe I lied about it repeatedly, but you’re worse because you told the truth about me.” It’s a crazy world.

• Sam Caplan says:

So my characterization is unfair, yet that one is? Interesting.

• Jesse says:

Sam, you better buy Vai a soda pop because if I remember correctly he’s a mormon. The Tongan Terror, straight outta BYU.

Loved it. Vai’s got skills. Plus, on 610WIP the Philly sports radio station, he was talking this morning about how he whopped him. Totally classic.

• iamphoenix says:

“”“He’s only done what pretty much every other baseball player of his generation did in taking steroids.”

So my characterization is unfair, yet that one is? Interesting.””

shall i name every single baseball player who used steroids?

• BJJDenver says:

#12, and make it caffeine free and sugar free at that, lol.

• rc317 says:

That was great. I don’t hate Canseco, but I can’t say that I like him either. Angelo Cataldi and the morning crew from610 WIP had Canseco on a few weeks before the fight and he guaranteed the win. Being from Philadelphia I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Vai win so decisively. It’s funny too…Canseco was the one who initiated a challenge to any athlete that wanted to fight him. Unfortunately for him, after receiving acceptances from many other people, he chose to fight Vai.

• Bruce says:

I’m surprised by how many people are defending Canseco! I thought Sam’s description of him as “one of the most despicable people in professional sports” was pretty much the prevailing opinion of him.

• Michaelthebox says:

So my characterization is unfair, yet that one is? Interesting.

Which is it Sam? Is his characterization fair, or is yours unfair?

• Carlos says:

It would have been even better to see Steven A. Smith getting knocked out. That mush-mouth douche bag is one of the most annoying sports commentators on television.

• Carlos, you hit it right on the head. As big of a douche Jose may be, SAS is 12x the douchieness. May be somebody can organize a SAS and Skip Bayless match. That way we would be guaranteed that atleast one of the idiots would get hurt.

• DMayeda says:

Vai Sikahema has a boxing background too. So in addition to having the experience of football (a collision sport), he’s also got legitimate experience training in boxing.

• Brian_LA says:

Jose Canseco is despicable! Not only did he use ‘roids to make all this money, then when he blew away all his money he outed people who trusted in an attempt to make more. You need more evidence? How bout my High School Photoshop teacher having to call the police to keep him from beating his wife in the parking lot at the local gym back when I was in High School.

Jose Canseco, a real stand up guy for sure…

• Catherine Hernandez says:

That poor sap got the [email protected]#t knocked out of him…I was cracking up!!! Jose Canseco should never be allowed to participate in ANY sporting event. He snitched out. Since his baseball career was in the crapper he thought he would take everyone with him. I am 5 feet tall and I weigh 105 pounds and I could probably kick his ass. Cheers to the MAN that put one on his ass. I watch the video over and over…what an idiot.

• Catherine Hernandez says:

• Thomas says:

I’m not sure why everyone keeps calling Jose Canseco a rat either. First everyone hates ballplayers for using steroids, now they hate the guys that told on them as well. I don’t understand. Canseco is obnoxious and kind of a dislikable character, but there are far worse people in professional sports. Its interesting how only select individuals get singled out for outrage at steroid use.

• Mike Crill says:

Boy,I wonder how many dudes in sports are on steroids?I can only imagine.Terry Bredshaw said it was everywhere when he was in football.Sugar Ray Lennard said he did coke.I find that most in sports are on something.Even chess players do uppers to stay awake.Where does it end.Better yet…where does it start….Just think what would happen if all atheletes used drugs.Most do.I rest my case…..

• Sam Caplan says:

My disdain for Canseco has nothing to do with him being a “rat.”

You know, if he was a concern citizen who was true to the game and decided to blow the whistle on other players taking performance enhancers, I’d say that would have been a noble act — if he had been clean.

But Canseco wasn’t clean. More than that, he was the one who introduced a lot of players to performance enhancers. I don’t get people who say Canseco’s book was right and what he did took courage. He was a big part of the problem! He endorsed and promoted the benefits of performance enhancers and helped players get access to them. It’s all in his book.

If a corrupt police captain that’s on the take convinces his subordinates to partake in the nefarious activity and then he goes and turns everyone in… does that make him some kind of hero? He was responsible for the corruption to begin with.

Yes, MLB had and still might have a major problem with performance enhancers. But Canseco contributed to a lot of those problems. Possibly more so than any other athlete in baseball.

He’s the ultimate hypocrite and a poor excuse for a human being. Again, read his first book.

• mike wolfe says:

#26

I agree with you about Canseco’s complicity, but I’m not sure he should be singled out. You seem to suggest that only those who are beyond reproach should be allowed to be whistle blowers. If you’re trying to stop illegal or bad conduct, that’s a bit unrealistic. Law enforcement relies upon sketchy characters as informants every day. You’re right that informing doesn’t transform a hoodlum into a boy scout, but villifying the informant misses the point, which is to stop bad conduct. As far as his introducing other players to performance enhancing substances, that’s no excuse for those who took them. They made choices they knew were unacceptable, and that’s why they took pains to cover up what they were doing. Canseco went public first and made money doing it. That just proves he’s smarter than the rest of the cheaters.

• Gyro says:

Hahahaha, I just watched another video of Canseco saying he wants a rematch, but he needs to train first. Sorry Jose, a few extra months of kung fu training won’t do you any good.