Miguel Torres next title defense

WEC titlist Miguel Torres is coming off of two electric victories to retain his bantamweight championship. Now, Torres is preparing himself for the next potential challenger. While he doesn’t know exactly who he’ll be facing yet, he does know who the top fighters being considered are.

There are a couple of guys being looked at – Damacio Page of Greg Jackson’s team, the guy who just beat Chase BeebeWill Ribiero, Manny Tapia – who I was supposed to fight before he hurt his knee, and there’s one other guy but his name is escaping me right now,” said Torres.

Torres would also like to have the match-up before the end of the year.

They wanted me to fight again in September,” said Torres, “But I am opening a new gym, just got a new house, and I am teaching some seminars so I told them December would be better for me. I’m sure December will be when I fight again.”

Based on Torres’ 15 fight winning streak that includes two victories this year over Yoshiro Maeda and Beebe, I believe Torres has a chance to quickly move up the pound-for-pound rankings with yet another victory over a top challenger. Torres has a great all-around game, and he may very well be one of the best fighters in the sport.

• […] It looks as though Damacio Page, Will Ribiero and Manny Tapia are some of the fighters rumored to be Torres’ next opponent, or should we say victim. Fiveouncesofpain.com has more on one of the best fighters in the game. […]

• matt says:

DECEMBER! UGH. I’D LIKE TO SEE HIM FIGHT MORE OFTEN. AND THAT DAMACIO PAGE FIGHT WOULD BE AMAZING.

• Jarrod says:

Yeah, I agree. Miguel is the most underrated fighter in the world and it would be great for people to have the chance to see him a little more often.

• steve says:

I like Damacio Page… but I think Torres will destroy him…

• derreckla says:

He certainly does have the Ego for it…I am already sick of hearing from this dude 3 minutes in to his 15 minutes of fame..

• derreckla says:

look you beat a bunch of no names who were probably intimidated by your Mullet…stop talking how your going to challenge Faber….There is not enough room on his back.WEC and ZUFFA are already riding that cash cow…haha

• HexRei says:

@#6 wow, why all the hate? it’s not like faber’s record is loaded with meaningful wins either, up until Curran I’d say they were basically even, and Pulver, although the biggest name on his list, wasn’t exactly at the high point of his career when Faber beat him. I think Miguel has a better chance at besting Faber than most other FW’s in the WEC, he’s got a more well-rounded game than Faber and is just as difficult to finish.

• Gabe says:

torres is the real thing. faber is the real thing. why would you not want to see those two fight?

• andy z says:

I have been watching miguel fight for years in nwi(thats northwest indiana). This dude is the real deal and would def give faber all he can handle. The only reason i can see him losing is a strength disadvantage. His bjj is sick and his stand up is very underrated. kinda reminds me of a lighter bj penn. Do not count this dude out.