Would Affliction be the home of Fedor vs. Couture?

affliction_card.jpg

Based on the amount of money Affliction appears willing to pay to crack into the MMA market, they appear a possible destination for the superfight if (when) it finally comes to pass.When questioned about hosting the possible Randy Couture and Fedor Emelianenko match-up, VP of Affliction Tom Atencio answered positively.

Yes, that’s the fight everyone wants to see,” said Atencio, “That’s the dream fight. Randy doesn’t want to fight anyone else. “

Of course, every organization would like to put on the fight, but there are two things that give Affliction the potential advantage: 1) they are willing to shell out the money and 2) Couture has appeared in Affliction commercials in the past.

We have a great relationship with Randy,” said Atencio.

However, Atencio set the record straight that he has not tampered with anything that Couture is going through with the UFC.

Due to his legal problems, I have not spoken with Randy in any way.”

An interesting note is that if Affliction gets the bout, the match-up would be fought in the ring. That would seem to favor Emelianenko.

More importantly though, let’s hope Couture gets the legal problems worked out so that the fight can finally happen.

• Rich B says:

yawn

• Are you having a laugh?. says:

Fedor vs Randy in oct.? Is that possible? Then if Randy wins rematch with Barnett will happen and if Fedor wins he fights Arlovski or Barnett or whoever, I really don’t care as long as they are top 10.

• rob says:

Great! More speculation on Randy / Fedor – – are there any MMA “masters” promotions that would sign this fight when it eventually happens in 5-6 years??

• woooburn says:

paging mark cuban

• Neil says:

I was under the impression that Randy had already signed an agreement to be under contract for HDNET Fights once his UFC contract expired… granted, HDNET seems to have shifted from a promotion to promoting promotions, I’d say that Mark Cuban would probably want a piece of Randy v. Fedor.

• -chris says:

At this point, does anyone really give a shit about this fight? I’m so fed up with hearing randy’s name, I’m on the verge of vomiting. I’m pissed that this guy, just because he no longer likes the contract he signed, can just walk away from his obligation to the UFC unfulfilled. I used to enjoy Randy, but now, if these two do fight, I hope Fedor snaps his brittle, old man arm in half via armbar in the first round!

• Jimmy says:

This is why I will never support the UFC! They will never see one more of my dollars. I will watch the ufc fights on the internet for free. The UFC should let Randy out of his contract like they did Tim Sylvia. I will only be paying for Affliction PPV!

• DocWagner says:

Anything that would anger foul mouthed Dana White is perfect…this included. Add Mark Cuban to the mix in support of Affliction and the world instantly becomes a better place.
    Unicorns and magic bunnies.

• SeeRed says:

First things first- Randy ought to fight Big Nog for his final UFC contracted fight. Yes, I know there is slim to no chance of that happening. Barring that fight, it doesn’t really matter to me whether he and Fedor fight or not. Neither of them has fought a truly ranked heavyweight in quite some time. I hope Silvia beats Fedor, actually, then the Randy vs. Fedor crap will hopefully go away. It has done nothing to further the sport of MMA.

• SeeRed says:

Geez louise… Unless/until Randy fights Big Nog for his final contracted UFC fight, a fight with Fedor doesn’t really matter to me. Hopefully Silvia beats Fedor, then maybe all this crap will go away.

• mike wolfe says:

What’s the status of the UFC/Couture lawsuit? I thought there was a trial date or major hearing this month. Any news or rumors out there?

• Evan says:

We have a great relationship with Randy,” said Atencio.

Due to his legal problems, I have not spoken with Randy in any way.”

nice contradiction.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Maybe Atencio is a world class mime.

• ANGEL says:

Does anyone really care about this fight anymore ? And will they still care to see it if Tim pulls the upset ?

Forrest beat Rampage…. ANYTHING can happen.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

• HexRei says:

im a huge fan of randy and would love to see him fight again. i dont give a shit about his UFC contract (those things are one-sided scams and everyone knows it) and at this point i just wish dana would let the contract go for the good of MMA.

• Mike Wolfe says:

#16 Sergio.

Good one. You’re killin’.

• HexRei says:

@#13 Those quotes are obviously taken out of context. Have you considered that it was implied (perhaps by the preceding text or question he was answering) that he hadn’t talked to Randy about *fighting* for them, but they have a great relationship in regard to marketing him for their brand?

• Ken says:

fedors marketability seems limited to hardcore fans. what if fedor loses to big timmy. what happens to the couture fight then? fedors bargaining power would be diminished substantially. this is a big fight for him, and his future in the US.

i think Tim has a decent chance of winning. for game plan, just look at the forrest/rampage fight. except that Tim has far bigger reach advantage and huge firepower in his fists.

i wish Randy would work things out and just get out there and fight.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

“i wish Randy would work things out and just get out there and fight.”

He could have if he just honored the contract he signed.

Two fights and he would have been done, free to fight wherever he wanted.

The “championship clause” that automatically extends a champ’s contract has been proven to not hold up in court so Randy has no ground using that as an excuse for breaking a legally binding contract.

• HexRei says:

@#22 I love how you bring up a clause that was struck down in court, as a reason Randy should not challenge the rest of the UFC’s ridiculously overbearing contract in court.
    How do you think contracts get tested in court? Hint: it’s not by honoring them when you think they are wrong. I believe we’re going to see Randy win the upcoming case, the UFC’s contracts practically turn their fighters into slaves.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Hex, what about the contract Randy had no problem signing in late 2006/early 2007 is ridiculously overbearing?

• HexRei says:

Just wait, you’ll see, little buddy :)

• Ken says:

sergio…..i mostly agree with you. randy could have had that contract fullfilled by now, rather than go thru all this stuff, and on to bigger and better things. he must feel it’s worth it. maybe he’s happy running his other enterprises.

but like i said before a contract is only as good as the people that sign it.

i think i recall a Randy quote stating he agreed the current contract with the UFC over the phone, and without a lawyers advice. then Randy was upset when he found out how much the UFC offered Fedor….alot more than he was getting. Randy should have just asked for a “favored nations” clause, meaning Randy would have to be paid at least as much as any other figher on the card, including Fedor.

my .02 but i just wanna see him compete. i love that fact that he’s still improving, at the top of his game at 40-whatever. he is a far better athlete now after his short retirement.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Sergio G, that was fucking funny. That just made my day….air heart!!!!

• Ken says:

p.s.

and I think that only the UFC has the marketing firepower to really promote Fedor / Couture to it’s highest potential and profit.

• Ken says:

sergio

“A crumpled up piece of paper falls on the floor next to Randy’s desk. He opens a note that reads: Do you wanna fight for me? Circle one: Yes No Maybe”

classic ^

“Randy looks over and sees a giggling Atencio, making an air heart with his fingers.”

who the hell is Atencio?

• JohnnyRev says:

1. UFC contracts are no more overbearing or oppressive than any other major sports league. The NFL for example is far moreprohibitive than the current UFC ones.

2. It makes no sense for a company who spends so much money on there product to allow a contracted fighter advertise for a competitor or non sponsor.

3. Fighters should have a union that stipulates discrepancies and sets fundamental rules of all contracts.

4. Fighters should negotiate signing bonuses into all contracts.

5. Fights in a ring suck, period. So this is certainly not the place I would want this fight to happen.

• HexRei says:

1) Not analogous. NFL contracts are a set rate over a year or period of years. UFC contracts are almost all per-fight, and UFC fighters can’t fight nearly as often as NFL players play. Some NFL players never have to play, but if a UFC fighter is injured he may not get paid again until he is healthy to fight again. UFC fighters don’t get paid to show up for practice and root the team on while they heal.

2) Certainly

3) Yes they should.

4) Yes they should.

5) Agreed.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Hex, you never answered my question. Your smoke and mirrors answer proves nothing except that you might have no idea what you’re talking about.

• neijia says:

#15 if Tim somehow pulled off the upset, that essentially would put Fedor at a real 27-1 (not counting the loss due to cut). Somehow that would mean that he is suddenly not the top heavyweight? Why, then, if Randy is 16-8, would we still consider him one of the top heavyweights?

• HexRei says:

@#31 Or maybe I just don’t give a shit enough about you personally to explain why you’re wrong. You’ll see soon enough in a couple of months SERGIO (great name BTW, are you a hairdresser?)

• Darrel Smith Jr says:

HexRei, I agree, you did not answer the question about his contract.

Randy signed a legally binding contract that required him to fight four times. He had already fought two of them. He would have fought Big Nog, and then someone else, and the contract would probably be over by now, and Randy wouldn’t be in this position.

I loved Randy, but after this BS, I can’t say that about him anymore.

But Hex, please tell what kind of inside information you have on this issue. Are you Randy’s lawyer? Agent?

Way to go verbally assaulting a guy over his name, when you’re name is HexRei. Seriously? Are you 15?

• Nate says:

Fedor vs Tim, I cant wait.

• ctownhood says:

“An interesting note is that if Affliction gets the bout, the match-up would be fought in the ring. That would seem to favor Emelianenko”

The other thing that favors Fedor is the fact he’s a better fighter.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Yes, Hex, I chose my name based on a profession.

Thanks for proving me right. Jackass.