UFC 84 to air during CBS Saturday Night Fights

july26th.jpg

MMAmania is reporting that SpikeTV will air UFC 84: Ill Will (Penn vs Sherk) at the same time CBS runs their second installment of Saturday Night Fights (Lawler vs Smith II) on July 26th.This comes one week after UFC will run counter programming in the form of Anderson Silva vs James Irvin to battle Affliction: Banned on PPV. I’m someone that says competition is never a bad thing and only breeds new innovations. If you’ll remember, UFC ran programming to battle EXC’s first CBS show but that show still drew massive ratings for it’s demographic. In summation:

In addition, Spike TV will feature a full day of mixed martial arts programming that begins at 4 p.m. ET with a rebroadcast of UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin” special that is set to take place on Saturday, July 19.

Another full day of MMA on Spike from the UFC. While the Silva vs Irvin event is battling a pay-per-view, one has to wonder how a UFC replay will do against a CBS network show for Elite XC. Only time will tell but you can’t blame anyone for trying.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Let the games begin.

Seriously, this is the best time to be an MMA fan.

A lot of us have spent many cold, cold years reading results from Japan at 3 in the morning or renting VHS tapes from 8-month old events from a hole in the wall video store but the Golden Age is finally upon us.

The 13-year old in me is freaking out.

• Neil says:

Even though I don’t like the idea of the UFC trying to stifle the competition, free content is good for everybody! This, not unlike the upcoming Fight Night and Affliction cards are all GREAT reasons to own a DVR!

• double A-ron says:

I wonder if this is a sign of more ppvs to replay on spike tv. This would be great.
    @#1 it is awesome to see organizations battling it out. It only means more mma for the fans!

• Joseph says:

UFN 14 and UFC 84 Replay will be shown AFTER Affliction PPV and EliteXC’s CBS show is done with, so everyone can watch both without having to choose.

July 19th on SPIKE:

6pm PT / 9pm ET
    UFC® Silva vs Irvin

12 AM ET/ 9PM PT
    UFC® Silva vs Irvin Re-Air

July 26th on SPIKE:

9 PM ET/ 6PM PT
    UFC® 84: Penn vs Sherk Replay

11:30PM ET/PT
    UFC® 84: Penn vs Sherk Replay

You can watch Showtime’s portion around 8PM ET/PT, followed by EliteXC’s CBS show from 9PM to 11PM ET/PT, followed by UFC 84 at 11:30 PM ET/PT.

Spike will also re-air UFN 14 back to back, so even if you watch the Affliction PPV, you don’t need to DVR or watch one versus the other at the same time.

• mR COOL says:

That Dana white is a genius

• Andrej says:

Elite Xc for me, Damn I’m looking forward to Bazler vs Cyborg and Nick Thompson vs Jake Shields. After I might switch over to Spike or Not. Kinda of pathetic by UFC.

• Jeff Allen says:

yah, it is a very good time to be an mma fan. however, I’ll take the xc card over a replay of the so-so ill will card any day. I think the xc card is pretty outstanding.

• Joseph says:

• Joseph says:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

The EliteXC card looks really good!

• Goomba says:

I loved 84. I was planning on buying that one on DVD anyway.This is better than Ultimate Iceman.

• Mikey Gilz says:

Excellent

• Patrick says:

Well if any replay would pull people away from that EXC event it would be UFC 84. UFC 84 was re-god-damn-diculously awesome.

• Joseph says:

“UFC 84 was re-god-damn-diculously awesome.”

It was good, but people are making it out to be better than it was.

• Brandt says:

SpikeTV = crappy standard definition. I hate watching it now that I have a HDTV and HD everything. I know I sound conceited, but it’s true.

And to think about it – CBS with new fights and a decent card in HD or a SpikeTV rerun? Desperate much? If someone didn’t watch UFC 84 already, they probably don’t care enough to watch it in a couple weeks.

• Bill Lumberg says:

THERE WERE HELLA KO’s during ufc 84- cant wait to see how Boss hog Shaw is going to ruin the show this time around.

• Patrick says:

Joseph, I honestly think it’s as good as people say, it was by far one of the best cards of the past 2 years that I’ve seen, edge of my seat and sometimes out of my seat during the entire thing, it was fantastic.

• -chris says:

@ #7 — What fucking card were you watching to say UFC 84 was “SO-SO”? One of the best cards i’ve seen in a while, especially the sherk v. penn fight. UFC 84 made 85 look like a fight night.

• -chris says:

How bout when Wandy knocked jardine the fuck out? Awesome!

• Justin says:

@Brandt

Spike HD is out. Check your provider to see if you get it. Unfortunately, Comcast in Houston doesn’t have it yet. I know Direct TV does.

• Jeff Allen says:

holy shit. i was actually thinking of ufc 80 (Penn vs Stevenson) when I wrote ‘so so.’ got confused on the headlining penn cards. 84 was awesome. but i will maintain that 80 was so-so, not great, not bad.

• Matt C. says:

I’ll flip over to Spike to watch Wandy railroad Jardine, then flip back to CBS in HD for the EXC card. DishNetwork doesnt have SpikeHD as part of their standard package yet. Boo.

Interestingly the Versus channel is in HD. WEC Wreckage comes off looking sharp.