Jim Ross shares his thoughts on UFC 86

200px-jim_ross_no_mercy_2007.jpgWhile I don’t keep up much with it these days, I grew up a big pro wrestling fan, just like many other fans of MMA. As far as my generation is concerned, there was no better play-by-play announcer in pro wrestling than Jim Ross. Gordon Solie was still doing some work for WCW, but he was essentially semi-retired during my peak wrestling fandom.

Maybe I am alone in thinking this, but I’ve felt for a long time now that Ross would have (and still could me) a very strong MMA play-by-play announcer. I’d be shocked if he’s never been approached about an MMA job.

Ross recently switched from WWE Monday Night Raw to WWE Friday Night Smackdown. He also owns his own barbeque joint in his native Oklahoma, which has a website that includes a personal blog. J.R. watched UFC 86 with his son-in-law this past weekend and blogged about it today. I found his perspective to be extremely interesting…

Ross on the Forrest Griffin vs. Quinton Jackson matchup…

“Griffin’s win via decision did not surprise me once I saw the fight but I certainly thought that the Memphis native, Jackson, would win the contest going in. Jackson is a long time fan of Jerry Lawler and even seemed to channel the late Junkyard Dog with Jackson’s howling and his wearing of a dog chain a la JYD way back in the day. Griffin’s kicks were startlingly effective and had to impress the judges along with Griffin’s constant, aggressive nature. A re-match is naturally a guaranteed deal.”

Ross on Josh Koscheck…

“Josh Koscheck should learn to utilize the fact that, seemingly, most fans don’t like him for whatever reason and go with it. Fans pay big money to watch people get their asses whipped, just ask the WWE’s Edge, and a great antagonist is money in the bank for any promoter. Nice to hear “Ironman” used as  entrance music for one entrance during the show as it took me back to the Road Warrior days.”

Ross appears to be a big Tyson Griffin fan…

“Young Tyson Griffin seems to be on his way to stardom as the UFC seems to have another future box office fighter evolving.”

On the commentary and post-fight interviews…

“Joe Rogan is an excellent announcer and I hope the people making the decisions at the UFC know how valuable Rogan is to the UFC viewers. I am not overly unbiased as you would assume especially considering my on air role, but often times the announcing of specific events are overlooked or taken for granted. On the production side of things, the UFC could use a 3rd voice, and this person doesn’t’ have to be seen, to read the sponsor billboards and other such info to enhance the overall production values. This is no big deal but might make the presentation slicker. PXP talent Mike Goldberg is informed and prepared which yours truly certainly respects. Goldberg was once give the opportunity to sit in the PXP chair on Monday Night  Raw. Some of the post match interviews come off as bush league with the fighters simply wanting to plug their sponsors and they are not as smooth at it as NASCAR drivers. I would rather, as a fan, hear more about the just completed fight than someone’s new website or clothing line or where every one is going to go to drink after the show.”

On the colorful metaphors that Griffin utilized in his post-fight interview…

“For the UFC to be accepted more universally, language used by Griffin needs to be addressed as it doesn’t’ send out a classy message to a mass audience even though young males may think it was cool. I mean to take nothing away from Forrest Griffin who is one tough son of a gun and is a guy that I will pay to watch fight again but coarse language won’t attract big time sponsors or enhance the building of a brand that is one of the most exciting new sports in the world.”

On Bruce Buffer…

“Another guy that might want to consider a Sanka is right announcer Bruce Buffer who seems to be a little over dramatic at times. I know that I couldn’t do Buffer’s job and I do like the fact that the younger Buffer is a Texas Hold ‘Em aficionado.”

To read Ross’ entire blog, just click here.

• Numba1Stunna says:

Jim Ross is a legend and I also grew up on WWE, I still have so many action figures of all the greats and a lot of the crazier ones, The Bushwhackers anyone? I hated Rick Flair and does anyone remember the Royal Rumble that he won when he had to come out third and outlasted the other 27, he put The Macho Man Randy Savage, The Hulk, THe Ultimate Warrior and like Razor Ramon as the last 5 to win and Jim Ross was going crazy, calling it the greatest display of heart in the history of sports. I was probably 8 and I loved every second and followed it for a good five years I’d say. Anyone remember the 123 Kid? Prolly was my favorite wrestler…..

I completely agree about the Forrest language comment, does he not realize he is representing the UFC as a new champion? Not too mention his dry humor is getting old quick, I guarantee he would be annoying as fuck to be around for too long. I do think he won the fight, but that It could have been a draw, or Jackson in a split. A rematch is necessary, if not for Jackson for Forrest because he wants to keep that belt, he has seen he can beat rampage, you need at least 1 defense to be a real champ. Why not take it immediately, back to back wins over rampage will really get him ready for the other elite of the division. Machida is nasty, unbeatable for now. Vera coming down, he is gonna be so big for 205 watch the fuck out. Chuck is making one last run to get it back. Not too mention Wanderlei-Griffin is FOTY potential, Rematch with Shogun, Thiago Silva with a bigger name win. Rashad if he beats Chuck. The options are limitless.

• woooburn says:

“there was no better play-by-play announcer in pro wrestling than Jim Ross”

ahem… gorilla monsoon?

fun piece. i love that he mentions JYD!

maybe koscheck will break out some leopard print tights and do a superfly snuka off the top of the cage in his next fight.

• Ross says:

At first I was like oh God wtf does Jim Ross have to say, but after reading it I thought he had some good things to say. In regards to Kos, he is 100% correct. Kos will never have a large legion of fans, his attitude is just that poor. (i.e. looking like he was the baddest man on the planet after the Sanchez fight wich was one of the worst fights I have ever seen.)

• Evan says:

I have no idea who this guy is aside from what Sam said but I found his comments interesting.

A few things…

“I would rather, as a fan, hear more about the just completed fight than someone’s new website or clothing line or where every one is going to go to drink after the show.”

This is a huge source of revenue for these fighters and its only 10 seconds of audio so I don’t care. I doubt most care.

“Another guy that might want to consider a Sanka is right announcer Bruce Buffer who seems to be a little over dramatic at times.”

Bruce IMO is perfect at what he does, its just fine so leave it alone.

Sam, If you could get this guy to do something on a regular basis (whatever that may be time wise) I think we would all benefit.

• HexRei says:

I am SO tired of MMA-pro wrestling crossovers, its bad enough already trying to convince people this is a real sport like boxing, not a homoerotic acrobatics display like pro wrestling.

• ultmma says:

Bruce Buffer is way 2 over the top, but he’s a UFC staple and like Goldberg he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

“Its timmmmmme”…..to hire Jimmy Lennon Jr.

:) lol

could to hear from JR, WWE hall of famer and the true voice of fake wreslting over the past what like 15 years.

• egad81 says:

They need to get the chick from DREAM to annouce the fights…. She is COOL!

Jim Ross = Cool
    Rogan = The Man
    Mike G = Good Counter to Rogan

• Patrick says:

Huh, Jim Ross seems like a pretty level headed and intelligent guy… go figure? Kidding, good guy and that BBQ place he has is F’n amazing, if you ever travel through that area… go… immediately.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

“That being said JR should stick with pro wrestling I cringe at the thought of hearing him call a MMA bout. yikes sam.”

No way, man!

“HE’S KNOCKED OUT, HE’S KNOCKED OUT!”

“RAM-PAGE! RAM-PAGE!”

“As God as my witness, his arm is broken in half!!”

It’s an easy transition…

• alley al says:

ditto to ross’ comment #3:
    kos’ win over diego was horrific.
    it’s talked about like it was great and technical or whatever, but he ran most of the time.
    they should subtract fraction points for cowardice.

• MJB says:

I would love to hear JR call MMA bouts. His excitement is off the charts for big time wrestling matches. Imagine that with a real sport. Even if was just a one-off thing, I’d love to hear it.

• natureboy says:

Here are some classic JR-isms that could have been used on Saturday Night during Chris Lytle’s bloodletting…

“Look at the carnage!”
    “For God’s sake, stop the damn match!”
    “For the love of god!”

• brett says:

haha and dont forget
    “this is a good ole fashion slobber knocker”

• maddog says:

i agree with you hexrei

• SteveXtreme says:

Whoa! Look out homophobes! I don’t think anyone would have to worry about “Good ‘Ol JR” getting into the cage. All anyone is talking about is his ability to call a fight. Yes in wrestling he’s calling a scripted “match” but he sales it with great enthusiasm. It would be exciting to hear him call an MMA card.

• Todd H says:

Good Ol’ JR is on point with many of the points he brings up. :)
    And yes he would be an excellent MMa announcer if paired up with the right partner. He’s a salesman. He’d be just selling MMA.

• ultmma says:

since when is its the play by play announcers’ job to be a use car/telemarketing salesman? sure that style worked on scripted hype fests

in the real sports world its the PbP man’s job to paint a picture and set the scene.

nothing agansit JR because he is the best at what he does (for fake wrestling) but Mike Goldberg and Mauro Ranello have been taking too many pointers from him

what i meant was rather than cringe is “throw up in my mouth a little”

• That’s Lenne Hardt egad81, you’d better recognize!

• Jeremy says:

I want to hear Don West call an MMA card. That would be a-mazing.

• Oren Reich says:

#18, that’s hilarious. This is the first time I’m posting here, because that’s f’n hilarious.

That being said, I’d love to hear J.R. call MMA. And it doesn’t have to be a big card, maybe if/when he retires from wrestling he can do occasional minor shows; it’ll be a blessing after the hell that is the WWE schedule, and I think he’d enjoy selling new stars. You know he can.

• Oren Reich says:

Okay so apparently, I confused Don West with Adam West. I thought I heard Adam West should do MMA commentary.

And that would be so g-d damn hilarious. Just imagine it. From now on, when watching MMA, filter the commentary through Adam West’s voice. I now consider myself responsible for making mixed martial arts fifty times as enjoyable for all those who read this post. To quote Chris Jericho, MMA will never be the same…. AGAIN!

• EH says:

Am I the only one who thought Jim Ross’ comments about Forrest’s swearing were pretty ironic? Let’s get real now…the WWE has had drug abuse, kidnapping, attempted murder, and even a Triple H and Kane skit centering on necrophilia, yet he thinks Griffen’s four letter word wasn’t classy. Hilarious.

• […] Ross (of WWE fame) made reference to how unprofessional it was in his UFC 86 review. Viewable at Five Ounces of Pain | Jim Ross shares his thoughts on UFC 86 What do you guys think? Was this unprofessional? Bad for business? Bad for Forrest’s next […]

• Sam Caplan says:

When has Jim Ross ever condone any of that stuff? He’s a play-by-play announcer, not Vince McMahon.

• BrianfromPhilly says:

Jim Ross has been more than just a play by play guy for the WWE. For the longest time he was head of talent relations for WWE and WCW back in the early 90’s. While he isn’t Vince McMahon, his opinion carries some value with Vince. Aside from wrestling he did play by play on the Atlanta Falcons radio network.

• # # 3 Ross Says:
    July 8th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

look man hes just good at pointing out the obvious.not hating on JR but man stick to wwe.

• Jay K. says:

I agree with #11, at least have Jim Ross call one match. That’d be both professional and funny!

Will anyone else agree with me that Rogan and Goldberg need a sabbatical…Permanently?

I cringe whenever I see Goldberg do his trademark “IN THE OCTAGON!” routine. Or when Rogan does his “THAT’S CRAZY!!” routine.

Fresh blood would do the UFC some good.

It was also funny to read the post by Evan. How young are you? Don’t you know Jim Ross from the ’80s? I remember when he was calling matches for Mid South Wrestling when Jim Duggan was actually a credible threat!

Cheers,

Jay K.

• matt says:

to #24

You do realise that joe rogan has been there longer than dana white and used to commentate shows for free right?

yeah we should definetely get rid of a guy that dedicated to the sport *rolls eyes*

• Sam Caplan says:

#24, Brian from Philly — are you the Blue Meanie?

• Mike says:

[quote]# 6 ultmma Says:
    July 8th, 2008 at 6:06 pm

“Its timmmmmme”…..to hire Jimmy Lennon Jr. [/quote]

@ #6. If you think Bruce is over the top, you must not have seen any PRIDE shows before. The screaming lady blows everyone away.

• sven says:

Jim Ross is one of the main reasons I stopped watching RAW. He was so bad he actually made me miss Tony Schiavnone.

• MMA Man Up says:

Miss Tony Schiavnone? Lets not go that far.

• tim says:

hahahahah that would be some funny shit if it ever happen. he did make some good points about 86, forrest did win that fight and t. griffin is a star in the making

• ctownhood says:

Dude…Joe Rogan so needs to steal “slobber-knocker” at the next event!!! Let’s face it..the coolest part of any WWE broadcast was JR and the King Lawler!!!!