twitter google

Cro Cop announces he won’t fight at DREAM.5

tn_cc61.jpg

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic announced on his personal blog today that he is no longer scheduled to fight at DREAM.5 on July 21. He had been slated to fight Jerome LeBanner, who apparently pulled out of the fight vs. Cro Cop in order to fight Semmy Schilt on a K-1 card in a kickboxing match.

Instead of fighting an alternate, Cro Cop has pulled off the card entirely and will instead use the time to rest an injured elbow and to also undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee, possibly as early as tomorrow. According to Cro Cop, he could be ready to resume fighting in time for DREAM.6 on Sept. 23.

He expressed that he is anxious to fight again.

“I had only one fight this year, I miss big fights and top level competition,” wrote Cro Cop. “I’m eager to get back to the big stage, I still have good fights left in me and I won’t give up. I’m not happy with this outcome of course, but at this moment I need to be patient and give some time for my body to recover.”

While Cro Cop’s future fights are uncertain, he has an idea of what direction he’d like to go in once he’s 100 percent again, including a rematch with Fedor Emelianenko.

“My goal is to become the first heavyweight champion in DREAM and to do that I need to be ready to fight on September 23,” he stated in his blog. “I’m not interested in summer time, vacations or things like that; I’ll focus on getting back to shape and hopefully I’ll fight in September. I would really like to fight Alistair Overeem, we all know why and I won’t let it go. My career is far from being over, I’ll be fighting some strong competitors soon again and hopefully I’ll meet Fedor in the ring once more in 2009.”

9 COMMENTS
  • jamo says:

    any one know if its true he is going back to the ufc?? just didnt look right in the octagon but now he’s been traing in one…???

  • MoreThanUFC says:

    He can go back to the UFC after he fights Alistair and Fedor again. Before that, what is there for him other than a rematch with Big Nog?

  • bjjdenver says:

    I think the word was, when he was released from his UFC contract, he was expected to go fight some in Japan and eventually return to the UFC, once he got his mojo back.

    I don’t know what the arrangement is, if he can only fight in Japan or what.

  • Mikey Gilz says:

    Doesn’t matter….. the wrecking machine known as Mirko Filipovic will return to his dominating ways soon and the UFC heavyweights will be the unfortunate victims.

  • MMAFan says:

    As I remember the mutually agreed upon arrangement between Dana White and Mirko Cro Cop, if Cro Cop were to win three consecutive fights in Japan, the UFC would take him back. (No disclosure of a new salary was provided.) So far, Cro Cop has had one fight in the DREAM organization–a TKO win over Mizuno.

  • Are you having a laugh?. says:

    Cro-cop of old I miss you.

  • Freedom says:

    If he wants the big fights and top competition he should go back to the UFC. Alistair Overeem??? top level? He would get his ass handed to him in the UFC.

  • Nick says:

    It seems MMA fans have let Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic (23-6-2) off the hook. Quotes from Mirko yesterday are hitting the blog sites and the smell of horse manure is starting to stink up my computer:

    “My goal is to become the first heavyweight champion in DREAM and to do that I need to be ready to fight on September 23 [when DREAM.6 is scheduled to take place]. I’m not interested in summer time, vacations or things like that; I’ll focus on getting back to shape and hopefully I’ll fight in September. I would really like to fight Alistair Overeem, we all know why and I won’t let it go. My career is far from being over, I’ll be fighting some strong competitors soon again and hopefully I’ll meet Fedor in the ring once more in 2009.”

    Does anything stand out to you here? Does no one remember his Parting shot to fans back in February of this year? Let me refresh your memory for you:

    “I have already mentioned that I will take part in three fights for DREAM and that then I will return to the UFC,” Filipovic told the website javno.com. “And to all Internet know-it-alls, I say to put gloves on and to enter the ring or the cage themselves before insulting (any) fighter. I repeat, I am not avoiding the UFC, and will come back by the end of the year.”

    Well Mirko, all of us internet-know-it-alls are calling bull$hit on you not running as fast and as hard as you can from the UFC and its weak heavyweight division. From the sounds of you yesterday, you have no immediate plans to make an attempt to return to the UFC by the new year, and quite frankly you sound very comfortable where your at and have long term plans for your stay in DREAM. It does not sound like the fighter who proclaimed he needed to “fight more” than the UFC could offer. One 56 second fight since February and a second tentatively scheduled for September does not seem like a schedule that the UFC could not have matched.

    I am a CroCop fan. I want to see the Mirko of old head kicking the crap out of the competition. But I cannot stand people who lie, especially to the fans. A multitude of reasons could have explained his absence from the promotion, but to claim inactivity and a deviated septum as your issues and continue to present the same general malaise towards fighting that you showed in America is inexcusable.

  • MMAFan says:

    I would like to clarify a few points regarding Mirko Cro Cop’s withdrawal from the DREAM.5 fight card and comments posted.

    1) According to Mirko’s personal blog, which is posted on his website for anyone to read, it was Jerome Le Banner and Mighty Mo who pulled out of the fight–not Mirko. Le Banner was coming off a loss to Semmy Schilt at K-1 less than three weeks ago and it is implied that Le Banner would not be ready to fight with such a short recovery period. The alternate, Mighty Mo, pulled out with no reason cited. Mirko said that he was ready to ignore his doctor’s advice and fight Mo because he felt that he could handle this opponent in spite of his nagging injuries. With the withdrawal of the scheduled and alternate opponents, Mirko opted to proceed with surgery and put off his normal training for 2-3 weeks.

    2) Alistair Overeem is not necessarily Mirko’s idea of top level competition. His desire to fight Overeem stems from this fighter’s trash talking of Mirko and calling him out after his victory over another fighter at DREAM.4. Mirko wants to make Overeem pay for his insulting comments (the “we all know why” from the blog.)

    3) To the surprise of a lot of people–me included–there is no mention in the blog about returning to the UFC. Nor does Mirko come out and say that he will not ever fight again for this organization. A while back, he did apologize to his fans for his poor performances in the UFC and said that he would like to return to England specifically to fight in the UFC to show his British fans what he is really capable of accomplishing. One thing seems obvious! With the delays and postponments, I don’t see how Mirko can complete his three-fight verbal deal with DREAM before the end of 2008. A return to the UFC may well have to wait until 2009. And Nick, I agree with you. There is no fan more loyal to Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic than me, but if he said he would return to the UFC, he must do just that in order to retain his credibility and the support of his fans. The only legitimate reasons for not doing so are if Dana White refuses to take him back or if he cannot recover adequately from his injuries, in which case he should retire.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.