UFC will not adapt new weight classes

The Association of Boxing Commissions recently adapted an entire new range of weight classes.

The UFC does not care.

I am not planning on following the new weight classes,” said UFC President Dana White.

That’s good news. Having too many champions really waters down the belts – not to mention the confusion that would ensue. Boxing has a major problem with that which is one of the reasons the heavyweight champion is really the only title most casual fans care for. There are just too many champions in boxing. Most fans of the UFC know who the champions are even if they don’t always know the weight classes.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Good. I’m a firm believer that as soon as you start adding “Super” as a prefix to anything then it’s time to quit. The exception to that rule being Super Mario.

Because Mario fuckin rules.

• Gus says:

Then not only does boxing have too many weight classes, then they have different champions within those weight classes. Like WBA WBO, etc. I do like the new mohawk rule. not really understanding the 12 to 6 rule. I saw jared rollins give war machine what looked like 12 to 6 elbows to me and was not penalized. Maybe you can explain this to me.

• Vern says:

Sam, are you talking about Mario Yamasaki?

• Donk says:

I think something has to be done about the 60 pound gap in the heavyweight division. Fighters like Crocop give up 30 pounds against guys like Gonzaga (like WW v.s LHW), and against Sylvia it would have been at least 40 pounds (like LW v.s LHW), that’s a major disadvantage. Sure the lighter heavyweights can be very competitive, but i think there should be a weight class to provide for them, so i think they should consider the 205-225 one.

To me that’s the only one that makes sense. But since Dana has managed to loose the lighter heavyweights, i don’t think this an option for the UFC right now.

• Phil says:

Gus. As the rule was written, it only meant 12-6 from a vertical position. They are the same thing as 12-6 from a horizontal position, but the rule meant only from the ceiling from the ground, so if J-Roc’s were legal.

According to Big John, the only reason that rule was in there is because at one of the first events in NJ, someone brought those elbows down to the back of someone’s head and spine, and freaked out the Commision people, so even though strikes to the back of the head and spine were outlawed, they added that rule in anyway. Don’t try to make sense of it, it’s a stupid rule.

Now they have just thrown it out completely, any elbow that lands in a legal area is legal. (once ACs adopt the new rules).

• matt says:

I’m happy they aren’t adding new classes. This sounds like Gary Shaw wrote the rules. One thing I laughed at was that with the female weight classes, Gina Carano is now a Light Heavy.

Bummer about no knees to the head though.

• Jay says:

#3 hit it on the head. There has to be a Super-Heavyweight divison…..and I hate saying that! Liight Heavyweight should be 205-220 and Heavyweight should be 221-235 while Super Heavy should be 235 and up.

• It was mentioned on Inside MMA that Fedor fights at around 230. Everyone agrees that he would smash everyone who weighs 265 so why does there need to be another weight class?

• DougDrex says:

I don’t always agree with Dana White, but this is one decision I completely support him on.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!

• cyph says:

Heavy weights can shed 20 pounds water weight alone in one day. Why make a weight class just for Cro Cop because he’s too proud and stupid to cut water weight to make the 205 limit?

More weight classes would mean there would be more champions who don’t deserve to be champions. If you can’t beat the champ, you just run to the other division that is only 10 lbs away (cue Mike Swick). Give me a break! People routinely lose 5 lbs just by waking up in the morning.

Don’t let boxing taint MMA. And don’t let a boxing organization make up rules for MMA.

• Gus says:

THanks phil.

• Donk says:

#10 This is exactly my point, the lighter heavyweghts are in most cases (apart from stubborn Crocop) forced to cut weight because the gap is just so large in the HW division. They don’t have much room to manouver, either face a severe disadvantage weight wise, or cut a severe amount.

This isn’t fair in my mind, and should be sorted out. I would call 185 light middle weight, 205 middleweight (like Pride used to call it), make a 205-225 class and call that LHW, and have 225-265 as HW.

• Tairst says:

I can’t stand Dana, but he does get things right on occasion. Maybe someday, there will be enough HW talent for them to add a class between 205 and 265, but other than that, the weight classes are fine the way they are.