Could Barnett vs. Fedor be next?

With Affliction publicly saying that they intend to hold additional cards in the not-too-distant future, the first question that comes to mind is – who will be fighting?

Well, obviously Affliction boasts a very deep roster of heavyweights, and there are two fighters that MMA fans have wanted to see go at it for many years – Josh Barnett and Fedor Emelianenko.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed that Barnett vs. Emelianenko could very well happen.

We are going to use the winners (of the July fight) for the next show,” said Atencio.

That certainly does not mean that the match-up of former Pride stars is a given, but it certainly means that fight is a distinct possibility.

Barnett, though, is not looking past Pedro Rizzo on July 19th.

I don’t look any further then the fight in front of me. I can do all the wishing I want,” said Barnett, “The only thing that is guaranteed is the fight in front of me.”

What Barnett’s quote tells me is that a fight with Emelianenko is definitely on his radar. However, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that a potential fight between Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski could do a bigger number in the U.S. – based on Arlovski’s popularity. I would personally be pleased with either match-up. but I think Barnett’s advanced ground skills could make for a better match-up with Emelianenko than Arlovski’s stand-up strengths.

• Like when they said the winner of the Fedor/Sylvia fight will fight the winner of the Barnett/Rizzo fight?

• DPK says:

I think Barnett would get the first shot at Fedor, and Arlovski would be right behind. If Rizzo wins, then I’d bet that Arlovski would fight Fedor before Rizzo.

• Nick says:

I don’t know how any knowledgable fan could rather see Fedor vs Randy than Fedor vs Josh. Josh is the only heavyweight out there with a decent shot at beating Fedor in my opinion. Randy will get his clock cleaned unless its in a cage, which I am sure Fedor’s handlers will not allow.

• butman says:

HWGP Anyone?

• Gabber says:

I have a hard time believing Fedor is going to cruise through Sylvia. I think “Cage Humper” is going to give him fits with the jab and I doubt he’ll be quick to rush him on the ground like Hong Man Choi. Sylvia is probably doing alot of work to try and avoid the takedown or get the fight back standing. At least if his handlers, err, trainers have a brain in their head. 😛 This isn’t a fight in Japan for the hero either, Fedor cuts and bruises easy, the California doctors could call it early.

• bjjdenver says:

Fedor/Sylvia, Fedor/Barnett and Fedor/Arlovski are all fights I would rather see than Fedor/Randy.

However, if there is going to be a Fedor/Randy fight, I would like to see it asap due to Coutures age.

• brocken colon says:

fedor vs anybody will always interest me

• godzillad says:

Affliction won’t be around for a second show. You don’t “hold off” on big fights, especially if you’re an upstart and they’re the only fights you have.

That’s like saying “Yeah, we can give you these awesome important fights but we don’t want to”. That’s a slap in the damn face as an MMA fan.

• Ian says:

#6 – I feel the exact same way, to the letter.

• Xemi says:

I want to see that fight badly, so Fedor and Barnett better win. Arlovski vs Fedor would be cool too. If Fedor beats Sylvia, Barnett and Arlovski will haters stop questioning Fedor’s status as the GOAT?

• Nate says:

Fedor vs anyone will always interest me as well. There are so many people on this card I’d be interesting in him fighting, I’ll be happy for a while.

I also want to see Randy fight soon because of his age.

• PokerFace says:

Where is Dennis Kang and Overeem, and all of the others that could potentially make a good championship run through their weight classes with Affliction.

• maddog says:

#8
    you are right. look at there payroll and take a high guess at ppv. the trump will not want to lose $ just to keep it going. the trump should had tito advertise this fight before he kicked him off his show.

i would also be happy just to fights out of fedor.