5 Oz. of Pain on CBS Sports: Interview with UFC welterweight Dustin Hazelett

Amir Sadollah garnered a lot of deserved press last week for winning the middleweight tournament for the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” However, the biggest winner at last week’s finale might have been up and coming welterweight Dustin Hazelett.

Hazelett, a member of Team Jorge Gurgel, won bonuses for both “Submission of the Night” and “Fight of the Night.” Despite the fact that his upset victory against Josh Burkman was not televised, the performance still helped elevate Hazelett’s profile and the event essentially served as his coming out party.

But what do we know about this 22-year old prospect? Not much. So I sat down and interviewed Hazelett for my CBSSports.com column this week and learned a great deal about him as a person.

You can now check out the interview by clicking here. I think it is a great read that you’ll enjoy, but you don’t have to take my word for it. You know it’s a good interview when even Fightlinker is giving us props:

… Caplan’s interviews for CBS are head and shoulders above the “Holy fuck this sucks” level most other interviews are at. Case in point: this awesome interview with Dustin “McLovin” Hazelett. Forget those cliche questions about training and UFC aspirations. This covers shit like worrying about your job… The whole thing is worth a read and really lets you get to know Hazelett as a person. Props.

• JollyDV says:

Great interview Sam! I really enjoyed the personal aspect. Hazlett seems to have a good head on his shoulders and props to him for being so honest and sharing his financial information. Thanks Sam.

• JohnnyRev says:

Sam once again you are the man ! Hazlett is a very interesting guy and his BBJ seems to be going through the roof… I thought Burkman was to rough and tough for him …. boy was I wrong, that arm bar from a standing wizzer was insane . then to hear him talk about theories in the post fight …way cool !

• Buddha says:

this is extremely off topic but, what happened to the article about what Gary Shaw had to say about Jeff Monson. It was on the site last night but now its mysteriously missing. I really hope this isn’t a sign of how much influence the EliteXc or Gary Shaw have on this blog. Unless its a misquote then I see no reason for it being taken down and if it was a misquote I think there should be some sort of retraction. Whats going on with this?

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Oh, geez…

“I really hope this isn’t a sign of how much influence the EliteXc or Gary Shaw have on this blog.”

Not THIS again…

• Buddha says:

Well hey man only a fool wouldn’t think that could be a possibility. A blog that is partners with pro-elite and cbssportsline, Posts an entry about Gary Shaw being a knucklehead and saying stupid things, and it mysteriously dissapears the next morning. There are only 2 reasons for this. 1. The pro elite influence or 2. The validity of the post was in question. Now if #2 holds true, I think the readers of this blog deserve a retraction or some sort of, “oops we fucked up” I just think it is something that could or should be explained, because now I am wondering if Gary Shaw is really as big of an Idiot as he sounded in the quotes about Monson. I mean this site never had no dissapearing articles on the dumb quotes Dana White has said.

To not take this completely off topic, Dustin Hazelett is one of my favorite fighters to watch and I thought he was going to get the upset against Koscheck and I am glad to see him not just beat but put away Josh Burkman with one of the best subs of the year.

• Mike C. says:

Great interview man. Wish it was a bit longer. Can’t really say that about too many interviews.

• HexRei says:

@#5 I agree. If you want readers to respect your integrity, you have to have some sort of transparency in regard to the reasons behind blog postings (along with all the comments as well) being deleted. Simply doing so with no explanation causes speculation that will be more cynical than if a reasonable explanation were provided.

I am glad that as far as I can tell this site doesn’t censor their comments (short of advertising for other sites and such) like mmajunkie.com does. I stopped reading that site when I found Trigg (or at least I assume it was him, as he was the author) deleting comments I left on his article just because they weren’t entirely favorable toward his ridiculous analysis (of why Tank would win the Kimbo fight, lol).

• Banter says:

hmmmm

• Sam Caplan says:

Wow, more incorrect statements. If you aren’t sure about something, why not ask a question instead of uttering a bunch of false nonsense? You’ll save yourself the embarrassment of being wrong:

“A blog that is partners with pro-elite and cbssportsline…”

There is no existing partnership between this site and ProElite Inc., ProElite.com, or EliteXC. To insinuate we are being influenced by EliteXC is a total joke. There aren’t many blogs that have been more critical of the promotion than this one. We have archives. Before spouting off at the mouth, why not educate yourself and have an informed opinion instead of an uneducated one? The world would then be a better place.

There is no formal affiliation between this site and CBSSports.com. I am a freelance contributor to CBSSports.com’s MMA section. End of story. CBS has no say in what gets posted here and I have no say in what gets posted on CBS, other than submitting my weekly story.

And while I probably shouldn’t speak on behalf of CBS, there is no editorial association between ProElite and CBS. Are they sister companies? Yes, technically. But do they work together in an editorial capacity? No they do not. ProElite has no say in what gets posted on CBS’ MMA section. My editor, Denny Burkholder, would never allow himself to be influenced like that.

2) No manager, fighter, or promoter can influence what is written on this site. We are an opinion-based site though. That’s right — WE HAVE OPINIONS. Just because a writer sits down and enjoys a UFC event doesn’t mean we’re swinging off Dana White’s nuts. Just because we sit down and possibly enjoy an EliteXC show doesn’t mean it’s because we got a phone call from someone. I hate to burst people’s bubbles, but I think I’ve spoken to Gary Shaw about six times in my life and it was all related to asking him to comment on stories in an on the record capacity.

Sometimes opinions here will be favorable to a certain fighter or organization. Sometimes the opinions here are less than favorable. There is no quota. There is no agenda. The opinions that are expressed here are our sincere viewpoints and are not influenced by anyone else. If it seems like sometimes we are less favorable towards a certain organization, it’s because we perceive them to be making more mistakes than others. We are balanced. But balanced doesn’t mean we have a quota where we sit around and say “Well, gee, we said 2 negative things about fighter X this week so that means we need to say two positive things.” If we don’t see it, we don’t express it. Balanced means fair. It doesn’t mean contrived.

3) The U.S. actually landed on the moon. It was not filmed in a television studio. Get over it.

Are there any more conspiracy theories I can debunk?

Last night’s post by Adam Morgan regarding the Jeff Monson situation was taken down because it was factually incorrect. Adam attributed a quote made by Jared Shaw to Gary Shaw. After reading it, I determined that even if I correct the name, it still wouldn’t be fair to keep it up because Adam was calling Gary Shaw’s body of work into question as the theme of the post. If Adam wants to question Gary Shaw’s MMA judgment, that’s his right. But it’s not appropriate to do it in response to words that didn’t come out of his mouth. I don’t legislate the opinions of any of the writers on this site. Adam’s post was flagged because of concerns over accuracy. As a publisher, I have a responsibility to make sure what appears on this site is accurate.

• Jesse says:

Sam, did Gary Shaw make you write that rebuttal? :)

• HexRei says:

I mean, no one likes to not only admit they or their org made a public mistake, it’s insult to injury, but exactly what you just told us would have prevented the speculation and necessitation of what you posted- and as you noticed, it ended up drawing out a response regardless of the fact that this situation has been addressed by you a bunch of times now.

No one is likely to doubt the reason you gave (once you gave one), but yours is a popular site now Sam! People respect the umbrella of authors you have, you personally, and the style of news 5oz represents. And when a dozen (or a hundred) regulars dump comments on a thread and watch it disappear, this WILL happen. Why not just beat them to the punch with the exact explanation you’re going to end up giving anyway?

• Sam Caplan says:

“@#10 None of that explains why a given article such as the latest one in question (which attributed the quote to the wrong Shaw) could not be either corrected, or in case the opinion portion reflected strongly upon the inaccurate portion of the article, let the article be replaced by a brief explanation of the reason it was removed…”

HexRei, you are incorrect. I clearly stated in comment #9 that I did not feel a simple correction would be justified since the crux of the post was questioning Gary Shaw’s MMA track record, when in fact it was a statement made by Jared Shaw.

• Rich B says:

#11. There’s the door. Don’t let it hit you in the ass on the way out.

• Echolocating says:

Not only did Sam do an awesome job on the interview, but Hazelett seems like a really good guy as well. Smart questions and great responses.

I totally agree with your reasoning for pulling the Gary Shaw article, Sam, but there must be a way to inform your readers about the decision… instead of us asking in the comments section of an unrelated article. I’d like to think that most of the readers here are mature enough to handle your decisions, Sam.

Those opinion pieces can be tricky business, eh? 😉

• Patrick says:

Hazelett seems awesome, I’ve definitely enjoyed his fights a lot, even though he lost against Kos it was still an amazing bout.

His fight against Burkman… well we all saw how freakin awesome that was. That armbar is just ridiculous, he’s extremely coordinated obviously and the long limbs are definitely a plus for being able to execute things like that.

Can’t wait to see his next fight, also serves as a great example of possibilities considering I’m his age… makes me work way harder haha.

• Procannonfodder says:

Sam, you always do an amazing job and when it comes to integrity, very few are in your class.