Filho vs. Sonnen II expected at WEC’s Sept. event

The long-anticipated rematch between WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho and Chael Sonnen is now slated to take place during the WEC’s September 10 event.

The report comes from print version of the June 23 edition of the Wrestling Observer.

Filho and Sonnen had been scheduled to rematch this past March but the fight was postponed after Filho checked himself into a Brazilian rehabilitation center in order to seek treatment for depression and substance abuse.

Filho, a former veteran of PRIDE, is a perfect 16-0 with notable victories in his career over Kazuo Misaki, Murilo “Ninja” Rua, Ryo Chonan, Yuki Kondo, and Akira Shoji. He has not fought since his Dec. 12 submission win over Sonnen at WEC 31.

Sonnen was dominating the fight until Filho caught him in an armbar from bottom position. The outcome of the fight was somewhat controversial, as Sonnen claimed he didn’t tap. However, during replays, Sonnen could be heard yelling as the bout was called to a stop.

Sonnen, a former veteran of both the UFC and BodogFIGHT, last fought in March for the WEC. After the bout with Filho fell through, he agreed to fight Bryan Baker instead. Sonnen recorded a one-sided unanimous decision win over the young middleweight prospect.

• He could be heard yelling “TAP TAP TAP TAP” if I remember correctly.

Sorry, still sore about that complaining after the fight. He made 80% of the internet believe he wasn’t in trouble.

• Jesse says:

Yeah Huck, I have that one recorded and watched it a few nights ago. No doubt he was caught. That salts me too. Just admit it and get on with life.

• Lethal says:

I wonder if they’ll have another title fight on this card as well. A Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown FW title fight would make a great addition to the card.

• Wildgoat says:

Wow! Huckaby and Jesse, I am watching the end of the fight right now and while yes he did yell, but, not once did I hear him say Tap. Maybe you have a special copy of the fight. Could you forward it to me. Is it possible you two have a man crush on Filho? If Filho is truly the number 2 in his weigh class then he should have no difficuty with Sonnen.

• bjjdenver says:

It is acceptable for a fight to be stopped when a fighter is caught in a submission and then yells out.

Even in grappling/bjj tourneys, we are warned that this can cause the fight to be stopped.

Either way, it was a good fight with Sonnen looking good and Filho a little lackluster. i expect improvement from both sides in what should be an exciting sequel.

• CaptainAmerica1967 says:

As long as Sonnen stands, Fhilo will get destroyed again.

• Jesse says:

@#4
    maybe you should read my comment again. I never said that he yelled tap. He yelped out loud while being caught in a tight arm bar. It’s the ref’s obligation to stop the fight before serious injury occurs. So before you make statements like someone has a man crush on a fighter because they have an opinion on a fight, get your facts straight. In fact, I don’t really care for Filiho at all. Moron.