Random Ranting about TUF 7 Finale

Las Vegas, Nevada — Due to the beauty of a timing mechanism, I am able to post some of my thoughts about last night’s TUF 7 Finale while I am on a plane heading back to Philadelphia.

Enjoy my random rantings.

— I’m still kind of shocked as to why C.B. Dalloway was so stunned when last night’s fight was stopped against Amir Sadollah. When I started watching MMA in ’93, I thought the universal method of submitting was three taps in succession. However, a lot of rules that I thought were written never actually were, and a lot of rules that I have seen written have been changed over the years.

Regardless of what the written rule is for a submission, fighters are taught to be extremely deliberate of their actions when they are in trouble. They are not supposed to give the referee any room to stop a fight. If Dalloway didn’t want out of the hold then he had no business making that gesture with his hand. There’s no reason to tap even once in that situation if you have any aspirations of continuing to fight.

Furthermore, I believe the unified rules of MMA afford the referee the right to stop a fight via technical submission (stopped a fight while a submission hold is being applied even though a fighter has not submitted). We saw such a thing when Tim Sylvia had his arm broke by Frank Mir and Herb Dean stepped in and stopped it. We saw it last June when Frank Shamrock choked Phil Baroni unconscious. Even if Dalloway didn’t mean to tap, he was done. When Sadollah re-committed to the hold and started cranking again, he had the armbar in so tight that I don’t see how it would have been possible for Dalloway to escape.

If you don’t think that Dalloway was on the verge of tapping, behold the following quote he gave during the post-fight press conference:

“I was definitely thinking about tapping,” said Dalloway. “I did hit it once, but I thought the rule was you had to do it (multiple times). Just as I hit once, I felt that I was in a position where I could get my arm out.”

— I believe Sadollah is going to emerge as one of the UFC’s biggest stars. I just want to know though, where did his jiu-jitsu game come from? It seems like it just evolved overnight. Looking long-term, I can’t help but wonder though if Sadollah’s best competitive weight might be 170 pounds.

Evan Tanner’s demeanor during last night’s fight was somewhat perplexing to me. Granted, I am not a mind reader, nor even a “body language expert,” but there were times during last night’s main event in which Tanner looked completely disinterested in the fight. Watching the damage he took during the fight wasn’t an easy thing to do. In light of Tanner’s candidness about his financial situation, I can’t help but be concerned that he might only be fighting at this stage for no other reason than it’s a way to make a paycheck.

— Can someone please explain why last night’s main event was a split decision? How can one judge score the fight 30-26 in favor of Kendall Grove and then another judge score it 29-28 in favor of Tanner? Grove deserved to win that fight via unanimous decision.

Grove was professional in his response when asked by Joe Rogan about how he felt not being awarded a unanimous decision. However, I won’t be so diplomatic. Judge Al Lefkowitz is the judge who scored it 29-28 in Tanner’s favor and I think the Nevada State Athletic Commission needs to evaluate his future performances with great scrutiny. If his poor performance becomes a trend, he should cease to judge MMA events.

— Apparently there is a significant amount of people that did not enjoy last night’s card. I was there live so I can’t comment on the telecast. However, I thought the fight quality of the main card was excellent. I felt the main card was good but I felt that the undercard was great. The Dustin Hazelett vs. Josh Burkman and Matt Brown vs. Matt Arroyo fights were incredible. I highly recommend checking them out when you get a chance.

— Regarding the cancellation of the Tim Credeur vs. Cale Yarbrough fight, I have mixed feelings about it. Apparently Credeur has a legitimate medical need for Adderall and apparently he notified the commission ahead of time. The thing is, just because you have a prescription for a drug and have notified the commission, it doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to have it in your system.

If a substance is on a commission’s banned list, it means it can’t show up in your urine sample. That was part of Nick Diaz’s problem in California prior to his March 29 fight in San Jose. Just because a civilian is allowed to use marijuana in California if they have a card, it doesn’t mean an athlete is allowed to use it. Athletes are held to a different standard than civilians. I believe that some of the standards are unfair, but they are written in plain English. I don’t think fighters should be tested for marijuana or be flagged for Adderall if they have a prescription, but until the rule is changed, a fighter can’t test positive for it or give a commission reason believe they are under its influence.

— If you’re a regular reader of this site, you know I have a bias for Philadelphia sports teams as well as Philly fighters. So I was excited to be able catch an HBO replay of last night’s battled of undefeated heavyweights between Chazz Witherspoon and Chris Arreola. I am a big Witherspoon fan as he’s best boxing prospect, but I had been told that Arreola was no joke. Well, those people were right. I was extremely impressed with Arreola, as the guy is a big-time hitter who isn’t afraid to brawl. I think he’s the kind of fighters that MMA fans will learn to appreciate.

The main event of last night’s fight card was a welterweight (145 lbs.) bout between Andre Berto and Mikki Rodriguez. Berto remained undefeated with yet another dominating performance. I’m a fan of Berto’s, but the guy has never really been tested. His record is meaningless to me because he’s yet to fight a top level guy and he’s had over 20 fights. The good news is that during Berto’s post-fight interview with Max Kellerman, it sounded obvious to me that he will step up in class for his next fight.

— I see a ton of ads for the fast-food chain Sonic while watching TV. The thing is, there aren’t any Sonics near me. However, there is one across from Palms Place in Vegas and much to the envy of my wife, I went there last night to see what the big deal was about. While the food was solid, I wasn’t blown away. I’m not a big fan of fast food, so by me saying it was solid, I guess that was really saying something. The hamburger I had was two notches above what you get at McDonald’s, but a notch below of what you get at Wendy’s.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Sonic, apparently, is pretty clean as far as fast food joints are concerned. At least, that’s what a former manager of one told me.

Fast food is garbage no matter where you get it from, though.

The fastest food I get is a veggie sub from Subway. THAT is delicious.

• bjjdenver says:

Ranting about the rants:

–CB started to tap, I have seen many instances where competitors have been trying to tap but were unable to do so, so the ref steps in. CB, if you are going to leave your arms out there, your UFC 185 career will be short, take a look at the roster.

–I dpn’t think Amir has great bjj, but it is solid and effective and somewhat sneaky. Add that to a good strking game, and you have a guy that wins a lot of fights.

–Evan Tanner has been passed by. I hate to say it, but it is true.

–Al Lefkowitz should not be judging anything after that mess.

–Other than the lack of fights shown, the card was pretty good.

–If a banned prescription is in the system, the fight should be cancelled, but no suspension or further discipline, just my opinion.

–Philadelphia sports scene is only good for disposing of used batteries.

–Sonic is only good for its wide variety of garbage to clog your arteries.

• Zack with a ck says:

Sonic is all about the tater tots and their huge drink selection – especially their Cherry Limeade.

• bjjdenver says:

mmmmm…cherry lime-ade!

• HexRei says:

The last three paragraphs in that article weren’t even relevant to the article topic…

• koolpaw says:

aw

yeah that split decision was strange,

but as long as Tanner has will to continue fighting, has contract with UFC, doeant have serious damage on his body, i will keep watching his struggling to win in the octagon.

Even in undercard, non-televised, it doent matter. im just looking forward his next fight.

• YoBMC says:

To #5…that is why it is called a rant!

• keith says:

I was a little confused by Tanner as well. I think the guy just needs to settle in with a good camp to get him up to speed. I can’t help but to feel a little sorry for the guy. His first tune up fight was to Okami and it really didn’t look like he has been sparring with anyone remotely close to Kendall’s frame. Tanner really seemed frustrated with Kendall’s reach and height and had such a hard time dealing with any of it. He has the heart and he’s game but someone needs to be Evan’s filter here and point him in the right direction. It would be a shame to cut him but give him a little more confidence. He’s already marketable.

Very impressed with Amir. Bravo to Ultimate Fighter this year. I agree. I think he’s poised to make a big impact audience-wise. They got their new Forrest Griffin this season. I think the fans latch more to the guys that are humble and can see them evolve not only as a fighter but also mature as a person too. Start this guy slow, give him a journey, and watch him become a megastar when he gets some high caliber upsets. Sound familiar?

• Brian says:

You have to get the extra long cheese coney, not the hamburger.

I can’t believe there was a split decision for the Tanner/Grove fight. The judge who gave it to Tanner should never be allowed to judge again, then again he would’ve probably been the type of judge that would’ve given the fight to Bisping in the Hammil fight.

I hope Amir is the real deal. He’s a very calm, cool and collective individual that could make a lot of money in sponsorships due to his personality. As far as the “tap out” goes, I’m not too sure how I feel about it. I always thought it had to be a “multiple tap”, or else a lot of things could be considered a “tap”.

• mo says:

i think Rogan said it pretty good with the CB tap. He said something along the lines that CB looked more shocked that he actually lost rather then upset about the tap. It just looked like he couldn’t believe he lost again.

• Rich S. says:

ok..
    first of all..
    if CB didn’t want to tap.. he shouldn’t have even moved his hand.. and tapped once.. beacuse.. in a move like the armbar, the ref will be trying to stop it THE SECOND YOU TAP.. because.. three more taps is enough time for it to break.. he tapped once, so, logically, the ref thought more taps were coming.. it’s not a ref’s job to look for a certain amount of taps.. it’s just to look for a tap, or taps.. bottom line..

secondly,
    the judge that gave Tanner the win… isn’t THAT crazy.. because, i don’t know about you guys, but i gave the first round to Tanner.. the takedowns did it.. now, most would say that Kendall dominated the last two rounds.. but.. when i was watching [and i suggest you re-watch] it looked like in the third round Kenall was starting to gas and Tanner just started firing away, he was swinging like a mad man in the latter parts of round 3 and there was no response from Grove.. so.. i could see how a judge would sway his way for that round.. but.. the second was definately groves.. and i would still probably give the 3rd to Grove.. because he got more done..

thirdly,
    with the way Hazelett’s going.. i wouldn’t be suprised to see a FOTY candidate come from him before the year’s end..
    his fight with Kos was astonishing, and apparently, so was his fight with Burkman, i haven’t seen that one yet..

fourthly,
    i was so glad to see Matt Riddle beat the crap out of Dante Rivera.. Riddle looks so much better since the show ended and he just dominated that fight.. ever since Rivera pulled all that crap in the house about how it was impossible for Riddle to beat him, and he would retire if Riddle beat him.. and then when they fought, Dante didn’t have control during a single part!
    oh, man, that was awesome..

• Rich S. says:

“ever since Rivera pulled all that crap in the house about how it was impossible for Riddle to beat him, and he would retire if Riddle beat him”

insert: i’ve wanted him to get pounded

and back to:

“and then when they fought, Dante didn’t have control during a single part!”

• Zack with a ck says:

Dustin’s transition from wizzer to armbar is the craziest jedi/ninja/lord of the rings elf shit I have seen in MMA. Just when you thought the Aokiplata couldn’t be topped, it gets left in the dust a week later.

• HexRei says:

@#7 You might want to look up the meaning of rant…

• mike wolfe says:

Riddle’s ko to get into the house was so brutal that I always thought he was the real deal. Now that he’s in a decent camp he could really develop.

The fight between CB and Amir was a pleasant surprise; I thought it was going to be three rounds of Amir on his back with CB laying on him. Hats off to Amir for beating CB, especially with an arm bar both times. I wonder if Amir will drop down in weight. I don’t think he’s really big enough to bang with guys as big as Jesse and Riddle, and sooner or later he’s going to run into somebody big who can defend his submissions.

• mmaking says:

In my opinion the biggest winners the following:

– grove: he showed mental toughness something he lacked against cote and rivera. He looked hungry and showed good knees and elbow. The ufc should set him up with a stand up to test his chin and to see if hes back or last night win had more to do with tanner being a washed up over the hill fighter. Tanner is definently fighting for the wrong reason.

– in a loss, stephens will bounce nack and be a contender in the future, the kid is young and has serious skills.

– amir showed he has all the potential to be great. He has heart and his skills improved over night. Reminds me of forrest. I wont be surpised to see him fighting for a belt in a year or so, but it will have to be done in a lower weight class. I dont see him pulling out wins against any top five 170!

– Im my opinion the biggest winner was ridell, this kid looks like a beast. Of all the fighters last night, he looks like he has the biggest upside. Good wrestling base, good bjj and solid stand up with some pop. I wont be suprised at all to see him competing for a title shot with in a year. Glad to see he has a camp now and looks determined to be great.

Any thoughts!

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

*RANDOM* Ranting about TUF 7 Finale

• mmaking says:

In my opinion the biggest winners from last nights fights were the following:

– grove: he showed mental toughness something he lacked against cote and rivera. He looked hungry and showed good knees and elbow. The ufc should set him up with a stand up fighter to test his chin and to see if hes back or to see if last night win had more to do with tanner being a washed up over the hill fighter. Tanner is definently fighting for the wrong reason $$$$

– amir showed he has all the potential to be great. He has heart and his skills improved over night. Reminds me of forrest. I wont be suprised to see him fighting for a belt in a year or so, but it will have to be done in a lower weight class. I dont see him pulling out wins against any top five 170!

– hazlett looks awesome and has crazy skills. Like stephesn, hes young and looks hungry to become a serious contender. I like hes chances against most fighters. I think hes for real.

Any thoughts!

• HexRei says:

@#16 One might think it might in fact be RANDOM rant ABOUT TUF 7 FINALE. Not, you know, about the TUF 7 Finale, plus also a boxing match he happened to catch on HBO, and also about whether he likes Sonic Burgers or not. Admittedly the unrelated stuff was only about 1/5 or 1/6 of the article but it was enough that it could have been its own article. TUF 7 FINALE != HBO Boxing and Sonic Burgers

• Dizzle says:

Can’t believe you didn’t say anything about Dustin’s arm bar. That was one of the sickest transitions i’ve ever seen, and i’m not just saying that because Joe Rogan came when he saw it. Watch out 170 hard to count this guy out of any fight….

• SteveXtreme says:

HexRei just to remind you this is Mr. Caplans blog and he can pretty much say/blog about whatever he wants, just like you can be an ass about the article that he wrote. All things said, good points made on all topics Sam.

• HexRei says:

@#20

Mr Caplan also makes money off of this blog thanks to my frequent visits (I even click sponsors sometimes, do you?) so I feel fully justified in stating my opinion about his article. And unlike you I managed to do it without resorting to namecalling.

• RT says:

Theyre showing the Burkman vs Mclovin fight for free on UFC.com

• RUSH says:

I thought the fights were good but the show sucked. Too much filler instead of fights, and it wasn’t even the usual “5 minute long Rambo preview then interview”, they just moved everything real slowly.

• Caleb Newby says:

Personally, I want more food reviews. I’ve put the request in with Morgan and expect him to give us all the lowdown on In-N-Out Burger, Hardees, and A&W shortly.

• Adam Morgan says:

Hardees has a good burger but you’ll need to take a raging dump as soon as you step foot outside the building.

• sol says:

CB was screwed from the get go in my opinion, in his first fight with nick klein he seemed extremely prone to submissions. Amir has a very good stand up game, I felt like he may win the first time out, but the second time out I was sure he was going to win.
    He has good stand up and good submissions, 4 subs across the span of the season, that is good by any means, I do think he will be the next Forrest, which will be awesome.

Hazelett’s transition was crazy, with most fights I can kinda see what Sub a fighter is going for, but I just did not see that coming, same with the Palhares one last month.

Sanchez’s stand up was good but anytime he has faced a larger fighter he seems to struggle.

The show had some good fights but as a show in itself, it seemed very dull.

• Vern says:

All that fast food and the blog will be renamed fat asses of pain

• Mark K says:

Go to Sonic for the drinks…try the cherry limeade…in the route 44 or 66 whatever it is it is great….

• Trust Doesn't Rust says:

#11

exactly. the decision wasn’t as crazy as some others i’ve seen. grove definitely won the fight overall, completely dominated the second round, but it’s not too farfetched to give rounds one and three to tanner with the takedowns and the way he forced the action. the problem is the system more than the scoring in my opinion.

• hindsightufuk says:

anyone seen the matt brown fight care to opine?
    wanna know if he looked any good
    ta

• MMAFan says:

I strongly support the recommendation to have the Nevada State Athletic Commission evaluate the performances of judges whose decisions and scores are obviously questionnable. I can think of at least one other MMA judge who, in my opinion, makes poor calls with too much frequency. The same problem exists in boxing to the point of appalling the comentators who make their predictions before the judges’ results are announced and the fans who react with sound disapproval on hearing these results. On one such occasion, Teddy Atlas stated outright that perhaps it is time for the Commission to start judging the judges. Right on!

• CrazySpic says:

Amir is a SAMBO BLACKBELT, that’s how come he’s got ground game/submissions

• T476 says:

Now I live in Canada and I’m going to have to say that I haven’t eaten at Sonic’s. The only real experience I’ve had in American fast food is when I got stuck missing flights in a 28 hour epic to Vegas (should have been a 6 hour trip tops). Anyways, Canadian McDonald’s specifically the Angus burger just ruins any food that I tried. And the service was better. Now I’m not just saying that because I’m a restaurant manager at McDonalds.

On the finale,
    I’m more impressed than I was for the last seasons finale. Maybe because I cared about Amir winning. What if CB had won, would Dana have contracted them both because essentially it would have been a draw?

• mike wolfe says:

#25 and #26

Fat Burger all the way. Hardee’s is weak.

• Two Toes says:

“Apparently Credeur has a legitimate medical need for Adderall and apparently he notified the commission ahead of time. The thing is, just because you have a prescription for a drug and have notified the commission, it doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to have it in your system.”

Fighters are obligated to notify commissions about any and all prescription drugs they take when they do their pre-fight physical. As well, I haven’t seen one person say it was ok for him to have the drugs in his system. If it was ok, wouldn’t he have been allowed to fight? Kind of a silly rant on your part.

• Dawny says:

I agree with others here that the split decision for the Tanner-Grove fight is not that farfetched. Tanner was pressing the action in the first round and got the take downs, he was also pressing the action in the third round. If anything give the guy some credit, the only reason Grove won is because of his length, otherwise Tanner was hanging in there. I think Tanner has more fight left in him and this fight proved that.

• JTM says:

I wanted to see more of the TUF fighters on the undercard – Daniel Cramer versus Gerald Harris would have been good. Is it purely because the UFC is cutting back on contracts at the minute that it didn’t give the some of the other fighters their 15 minutes (or less) of fame, or were there other circumstances such as injuries affecting the decision?

• sub says:

@HexRei

you are an annoying twunt.