Affliction: Banned to feature Megadeth

250px-megadeth_live_at_brixton_academy.jpg Affliction announced via press release on Thursday that platinum selling heavy metal band Megadeth will be performing live during the clothing maker’s first-ever mixed martial arts pay-per-view on July 19 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

While the announcement may seem a little out of left field, in addition to sponsoring MMA fighters and boxers, the company has also tried to promote its brand through harder rock acts. That being said, the addition of Megadeth to the bill will no doubt be greeted with a negative reaction by many of MMA’s hardcore fans.

Megadeth’s involvement has been rumored for quite some time. At one point, they were initially attached to the card before a source informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com on separate occasions that Korn and Ozzy Osbourne had also been approached as being the event’s featured musical act.

While I will give Megadeth some props since I’ve heard that frontman Dave Mustaine is a big mixed martial arts fan that has trained in the past, I’ve got to be honest in saying that I’ve never been a Megadeth guy. That says a lot coming from someone considers heavy metal his music of choice.

Mustaine is a good guitarist, but I just couldn’t get past his voice. The fact that he also pulled a Jesse Taylor and got booted from Metallica right before they broke big is also something I can’t get past. Some will say this is blasphemous, but I was never into Megadeth or Metallica. For me, it’s an easy call: the greatest heavy metal band ever was Pantera.

In addition to Pantera, I have to say the Deftones and Lamb of God are right up there. Two other heavier acts I always enjoyed that simply never got the due they deserved were the Orange County-based Snot and the Mid Atlantic-based Nothingface. If you’re a fan of either Snot or Nothingface, then I’m a fan of yours.

• Mike C. says:

Wow. Snot and Nothingface are two of my five favorite bands. Good call Sam. So glad Nothingfdace is back with the lineup from Pacifier and Everyday Atrocity. Houck is such a better drummer than his replacement. And Lynn Strait died way too soon. The last song they recorded, Absent, was their best. I can’t imagine what the album would have sounded like. I can’t believe these two bands never caught on. TYhe blow most of the bands that have similar styles away.

• Mike C. says:

Holy typos Batman. I suck.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

ALLLLLLLLready, Sam Caplan!

From an Gnarlington, Tx boy who has met Vinnie Paul and Dimebag plenty of times, let me be the first to bestow upon you these…

\m/ \m/

• Trust Doesn't Rust says:

Rust in Peace– greatest metal album i’ll ever hear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kqvCpyvBw

• jesse says:

What did Mustaine weigh in at?

• James says:

suffocation > every band mentioned. and come on…..lamb of god??? are you serious?

• Brady says:

Nothingface!

get Megadeath out of there…bring on Lamb of God!

• Bryan says:

Megadeth is garbage. I think the new main event should be Vinnie Paul v. Dave Mustaine.

• Joey says:

I love Lamb of God and Nothingface!

• Rich S. says:

i don’t know why, but that’s just the funniest headline!
    lol.

• JJ says:

Sam, I have always enjoyed your articles, but when you stated it was an easy call on the best metal band ever, PANTERA, I have to say you then became the best MMA writer ever.

• Matt C. says:

Children of Bodom will melt your face. But nothing beats old school Pantera.

• Jeremy B says:

Pantera/Deftones=AGREED! R.I.P. Dime! Rock on Sam!

• jesse says:

Almost every day, i see the same face
    on broken picture tube, it fits the attitude.
    If you could see yourself, you put you on a shelf
    your verbal masturbate, promise to nauseate.
    Today I’ll play the part of non-parent,
    not make a hundred rules for you to know about yourself.
    Not lie and make you believe what’s evil is making love,
    making friends and meeting God your own way …the right way.

(Chorus)
    To see, to bleed cannot be taught
    In turn, you’re making us
    Fucking Hostile

We stand alone,
    the truth in right and wrong, the boundaries of the law,
    you seem to miss the point, arresting for a joint?
    You seem to wonder why hundreds of people die,
    you’re writing tickets man, my mom got jumped they ran!
    Now I’ll play a public servant,
    to sevre and protect by the Law and the State.
    I’d bust the punks that rape steal and murder
    and leave you be, if you crossed me.
    I’d shake your hand like a man, not a God!

(Chorus)

Come meet your maker boy, somethings you can’t enjoy.
    Because of Heaven/Hell, a fucking wive’s tale.
    They put it in your hand, then put you in your bed.
    He’s watching – say your prayers.
    ’cause God is everywhere.
    Now I’ll play a man learning priesthood,
    who’s about to take the ultimate test in life.
    I’d question things because I am human,
    and call no one my father who’s no closer than a stranger.
    I won’t listen !!

(Chorus)

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

Fucking Hoff-style.

• joe says:

how can u consider yourself a metal head and not listen to megadeath sam? they are really great and the least ant selfrespecting metalman can do is have their greatest hits.

• JoHn says:

# 3 Sergio G. Hernandez Says:
    June 20th, 2008 at 5:12 pm
    ALLLLLLLLready, Sam Caplan!

\m/ \m/

• matt pdx says:

man, i expect a lot of heat…but…i love megadeth, and this just put me over the top for buying that ppv.

Dont get me wrong i love pantera too, but megadeth was doing it before, and are still doing it. Darrell abbot was offered a spot in megadeth but passed on it because he wanted to play with his brother and dave already had a drummer. (this would have been for rust in peace…imagine what that record would have sounded like…but we wouldnt have had pantera then).

Snot and nothingface? are you serious? those bands are terrible. I never quite got the deftones thing. My friend has played with them alot and i just never really got it. Also i dont think the really should be in a conversation about metal.

Just coming off gigantour, megadeth is in top form…this should be a nice added attraction.

matt-

• Two Toes says:

Tommy Lee was probably busy on the 19th.

• fightfan says:

SWEET!!!! Never seen it coming from you Sam Caplan.

But I have to agree, Pantera is, by far, the ABSOLUTE best most energetic music ever created!!!! You know what I mean if you are a Pantera fan. You want to get pumped up, just throw in any PANTERA DISC!!!!!!!

I like a lot of music and lot of bands. There may be 10 or so a close 2nd, but NOTHING compares to PANTERA!!!!!!!

• DPK says:

Now I will definitly buy the pay-per view; just kidding. Who cares, I want to see a fight, not time wasted by a band whose music I’ve never cared for.

• jaimie0678 says:

your taste in music is a joke… greatest heavy metal band ever? pantera? youve got to be kidding me? and the deftones??? they arent even metal.. and they suck…
    greatest metal band ever???? black sabbath, hands down. no contest… moron

• Erik W. says:

Megadeth! That’ll be awesome!

(The above message brought to you in a time machine from the year 1993.)

• mattio says:

I think Shortest Straw, Blackened and Freyed Ends of Sanity from the And Justice For All album are the best metal songs available. Everything else is weak compared to those three songs.

As for Megadeth performing at the Affliction show, that is kind of sad. It seems kind of goofy and out of place. It seems even more goofy that they are going to keep popping up throughout the night instead of performing a set in the middle of the show. I don’t think it’s going to be looked upon kindly by the online media the day after.

• mike wolfe says:

Buncha scrawny punks. Dropkick Murphys, y’all.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

“PANTERA ROCKS, as does there fully nude bar in dallas off of manana, sergio i live in rockwall tx. , its crazy knowing you live relatively close”

HAHA! My friend has the BEST story about The Clubhouse involving death metal band Cattle Decapitation and… TOBY KEITH!

• king mah mah says:

megadeth is the shit! I hope they play some stuff off the so far, so good, so what album. peace sells is another classic. come to think of it, i like all of megadeths shit! Flame if you want, but I grew up on that shit.

• king mah mah says:

This only makes me want to buy the ppv that much more!

• DBW says:

“Damnit Pantera, this beer’s warm!!!”…anybody??

Sam – love this site, and as much ass that Pantera kicks I have no idea how you never got into Metallica. “Kill ’em All”, “Master of Puppets”, “Ride the Lightning” and “And Justice for All” are all absolutely Hall of Fame material.

Saw Megadeath at Roseland in NYC in ’97(?) – good show.

More importantly, War Amir tonight!!!!

• Davey D says:

Snot is one of the best bands A LOT of people have never heard of. They were just about to blow up when Lynn Strait passed away (and Dobbs too). They would still be around if that had never happened I believe.

System of a Down, Limp Biskit and Korn all looked up to Snot when they were playing shows with them over 10 years ago. It’s like they are “Musician’s Music”.

Songs like : “I Jus’ Lied”, “The Box”, “Snot”, “Absent”, the list goes on and on. They were just that damn good. I listen to their ablum at least once a week. I still get goosebumps when listening at times because they are so intense. They also have the Snot Tribute CD and the Alive CD but the Self-titled one is the best.

One of my favorite concerts here in Detroit was when I got to see the Deftones, Pantera and Black Sabbath. That night was effin’ crazy.

Sevendust and Snot are my two all time favorite bands. But, “pound 4 pound”, Pantera is the best Metal band ever. They were the best in the World for a long time and no one can convince me otherwise. Metallica would come next. Then Shawdows Fall and Lamb of God next.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell and James Lynn Strait. Even though you are gone, your music live on forever.

Sam, I never thought I’d get to say these things on an MMA website. Thank you very much.

I will second BDW before I go, WAR Amir!!!

Cheers!!!

• Jay K. says:

Sam,

Step up to Slayer and then SIX FEET UNDER!!

Pantera suddenly seems not so important anymore…

Megadeth’s best album wasn’t Rust in Peace. It was Peace Sells and Nobody’s buying.

The Best song ever to come out of Megadeth was Wake up Dead.

Live it, Memorize it, Learn it.

Jay K.

• king mah mah says:

It’s called Peace sells……but who’s buying?

• The reason no one ever heard of Snot was because they stunk. It is amazing how much better that band became once the singer died. To mention them and Deftones in the same sentence as Pantera is metal blasphemy. While the Deftones are a good band they have a discography that is very uneven. I did love the fact that Chico said that they reason the band is not as heavy is that he is not as angry since he got older.
    Don;t get me started on the American hating d-bags System of a Down. (Someone else mentioned them.) They are just as band as Rage Against The Machine. B’ing and moaning against everything while working for a major label, charging full price for shirts and concerts.
    Finally, you cannot have a greatest metal band conversation without mentioning SLAYER!!!!

• tricky dicky says:

awesome… 650 bucks is seeming like a bargain to take this all in at ringside.

• wormed says:

Figures someone would post bands like Nothingface or Snot as being considered metal. Hell, the fact you even mentioned those redundant, repetitive, down-tuned drivel ad nauseum bands in the same article as Megadeth or Metallica *IS* blasphemous.

You are not a fan of metal when you have absolutely no clue what it is. If you think bands like Korn, Nothingface or System of a Down are prime examples of metal, you are just about as ignorant as the thousands of other mindless sheep who believe garbage like Britney Spears or Girlicious are quality musicians.

Here’s a hint… if they aren’t on http://www.metal-archives.com, they aren’t metal. So pretty please, with sugar on top, why not download the latest Arsis, or maybe Psycroptic, and then you might have an opinion worth a damn.

• Ralph says:

Deftones is a great band, and I have all their records, but they are not even close to the league where Megadeth stands.

Dave Mustaine >>> any band mentioned in this topic.

• Brujo says:

Dave would smoke a DIME any day!!!! Lamb of God??? come on!!!!

• Kevin says:

Deftones are fucking garbage. Mustaine > Dimebag

• Andrew says:

of the mtv type mainstream metal bands, megadeth is probably the best. pantera were mediocre posers, meh not a bad band but certainly not the best ever or any name i’d drop if i were trying to pass myelf off as an actual metal connoisseur.

dimamonf darrel lance was a technically good guitarist but not incredibly inspired, where mustaine and friedman particularily are guitarist’s guitarists, and i would have to call “rust in peace” the best guitar album of all time in a way that it’s a great guitar album that’s also a great rock/metal album.