Five Ounces of Pain’s MMA Mock Draft: Free Agency

“Oh my God, this isn’t over yet?” No, no it’s not. Each writer got eight free agent picks before making their final card which will be posted in the near future featuring 15 bouts. You will then state who you believe has the best up and down card. Free agency was conducted by a random draw and then each person got two picks at a time, snaking up and down for four rounds. Obviously some of these guys can fight at two weights but they are listed at their most recent or most known weight.

These were the results:

Matt Cava‘s previous picks:

HW: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Aleksander Emelianenko, Jeff Monson, Alistair Overeem

LHW: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, James Irvin

MW: Anderson Silva, Matt Lindland, Paulo Filho, Yushin Okami, Chris Leben, Chael Sonnen, Demian Maia, Denis Kang

WW: Jon Fitch

LW: BJ Penn, Sean Sherk, Nick Diaz, Tyson Griffin, Hermes Franca, Marcus Aurelio

FW: Jens Pulver

Cava’s Free Agents: Rich Clementi, Patrick Cote, Kazuyuki Fujita, Eddie Sanchez, Dean Lister, Travis Wiuff, Hideo Tokoro, Kurt Pellegrino

—-

Sam Caplan‘s previous picks:

HW: Brock Lesnar, Fedor Emelianenko, Josh Barnett, Brandon Vera, Gabriel Gonzaga, Antonio Silva, Dave Herman, Kurt Angle, Bobby Lashley

LHW: Shogun Rua, Ricardo Arona, Rafael Feijao

MW: Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Mayhem Miller, Robbie Lawler, Frank Trigg, Jake Rosholt

WW: Paul Daley

LW: Chris Horodecki, Frankie Edgar, Jorge Masvidal

Caplan’s Free Agents: KJ Noons, Marcus Davis, Hayato Sakurai, Johny Hendricks, Anthony Johnson, Chris Wilson, Matt Makowski, LeVon Maynard

—-

Adam Morgan‘s previous picks:

HW: Kimbo Slice, Ben Rothwell, Cain Velasquez, Cheick Kongo, Paul Buentello

WW: Georges St. Pierre, Jake Shields, Carlos Condit, Diego Sanchez, Matt Hughes, Josh Koscheck, Eddie Alvarez, Thiago Alves, Karo Parisyan

LW: Shinya Aoki, Matt Serra, Gray Maynard, Rob McCullough, Marcelo Garcia

FW: Wagnney Fabiano

LADIES: Gina Carano, Tara LaRosa

Morgan’s Free Agents: Sean Gannon, Nick Thompson, Corey Hill, Thiago Tavares, Phil Baroni, Kala Hose, Marcus Hicks, Rodrigo Damm

—-

Michael Huckaby‘s previous picks:

HW: Andrei Arlovski, Mirko Cro Cop, Tim Sylvia, Fabricio Werdum, Sergei Kharitonov, Roger Gracie, Shane Carwin, Brett Rogers, Semmy Schilt, Pedro Rizzo

LHW: Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, Wanderlei Silva, Rashad Evans, Thiago Silva, Brian Stann, Babalu Sobral, Melvin Manhoef, Jeremy Williams, Houston Alexander, Wilson Gouveia, Dong Sik Yoon

Huckaby’s Free Agents: Lion Takeshi, Masakazu Imanari, Hatsu Hioki, Antonio Carvalho, Marlon Sandro, Akitoshi Tamura, Jeff Curran, Leonard Garcia

—-

Ram Maramba‘s previous picks:

HW: Randy Couture, Frank Mir, Mark Hunt, Jon Murphy

LHW: Rampage Jackson, Keith Jardine, Lyoto Machida, Vladimir Matyushenko

MW: Nate Marquardt, Jacare Souza, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Ricardo Almeida

LW: Gilbert Melendez, Joachim Hansen, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Shaolin Ribeiro, Joe Lauzon, Jamie Varner

FW: Urijah Faber, Kid Yamamoto, Wilson Reis

BW: Miguel Torres

Maramba’s Free Agents: Kazuo Misaki, Roy Nelson, Banha Cain, Martin Kampmann, Yoshiro Maeda, Manny Tapia, Matt Hamill, Kevin Randleman

—-

Sam Cupitt‘s previous picks:

LHW: Tito Ortiz, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Stephan Bonnar, Nate Quarry, Vitor Belfort, Glover Teixeira

MW: Frank Shamrock, Cung Le, Michael Bisping, Tim Kennedy, Kazushi Sakuraba, Rickson Gracie

LW: JZ Calvancante, Takanori Gomi, Roger Huerta, Kenny Florian, Nate Diaz, Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson, Yves Edwards, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Josh Thomson

Cupitt’s Free Agents: Mac Danzig, Goran Reljic, Anthony Ruiz, Manny Gamburyan, Kendall Grove, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Andre Gusmao, Evan Tanner

——–

And that does it. The next (and final) post of the mock draft will be our full 15 fight cards. Your comments on who did the best will and are very much appreciated.

• I just realized no one took Mike Swick in 180 picks. That has to hurt.

• RNC Joe says:

No Ryan Schultz, Jay Hieron or Bad Brad Blackburn, unless I missed something.

Thanks for putting in the time – this has been an interesting and amusing experiment.

• Scott B says:

I was looking at sams picks and noticed Kurt Angle and Bobby Lashley…What organization do they they fight in . I didnt even know they were fighting. I know Kurt wanted to but his neck was too jacked up.

• matt says:

Guys just a suggestion which I think would be fun. Do this draft once a year. It’ll be nice to see where you guys rank fighters year to year as the fight game changes over that time as well.

• Jeremy says:

Ram and Caplan did well for themselves. Interesting what Huckaby did with his picks. Only drafted HW and LHW, but stocked up on some good lighter weight fighters in the free agent pool.

• Vern says:

Fuck Mike Swick, where the fuck is Pedro Stony Hands?

• THAT IS A GOOD POINT!

And he’s lost his last couple fights, Pedro Stony Hands has lost the small, three person support he once had.

• D says:

yay, you guys finally organized them by weight class! Now we just need logos, graphics and theme music and your orgs will be complete 😉

• Not “you guys,” I took the time dammit. I want full credit for listening to feedback and delivering what the four of you wanted.

• MMAStation says:

No matter what Huckaby does his card will be the best out there. The talent at heavy and light heavy is just too great and no one else has a talented weight class as deep as his two.

• MMAStation is my new favorite person. I just wanted to put that out there.

• Al says:

Jon Fitch and Paul daley are gonna be some hella lonely…

• Matt C. says:

where’s all the love for my picks? In the first few rounds, the readers were lovin my pick-ups. Now… crickets and tumbleweeds. 5 Oz readers are a fickle bunch.

• matt says:

Matt C, I think it’s the lack of depth at WW that you have. I like the Free Agent picks. But I maintain that this should be an annual thing, as the landscape of MMA changes year to year.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

MMAStation is right.

Huckaby went the Affliction route and loaded his org with heavy- and light heavyweights. While completely lacking in 155-185 talent, there are more than enough match-ups in the fighters he’s got to make due.

However, his master stroke are his Free Agents. He added a FULL and STACKED division in one fell swoop.

• Sergio G. Hernandez says:

As a postscript, Cupitt’s got the second best draw.

• David says:

Enough with these free picks, where are the news about Dana’s huge announcement?

• Lotfi Sariahmed says:

Vive Huckaby

• D says:

Credit –> Huckaby :)

You have a nice big boy league Huck, you’re the “Affliction” of 5oz.

What’s up with the overall lack of WWs (cept for Morgan’s org)? Maybe next year you should have the orgs pick one contender from each weight class per round. That way you have more well-rounded orgs. Or maybe each org could focus on 3-4 weight classes of their choice, e.g. Huckaby would specialize in MW thru HW.

• I AM LOVING THIS GLORY!!

• Numba1Stunna says:

Caplan and Cava

• Numba1Stunna says:

BTW, I recieved my Ecko shirts yesterday in the mail so thank you very much sam and matt!

• Vern says:

Huckaby wins but unfortunately in the MMA ref draft he got Cecil Peoples.

• Goomba says:

My personal opinion on each of your picks.

Cava-Nice MW division. I think you wasted a pick on Fitch and Urijah though.
    Caplan-Too much on useless HW’s, but a nice MW division.
    Morgan-Took the best WW division, and I hate seeing Kimbo in any organization.
    Huckaby-The best picks. With such a limited amount of picks, you didn’t waste time picking good fighters for each division, because then there would be 4-5 fighters each, and constant rematches with no competition.
    Maramba-Nice picks, but after a few shows, there wouldn’t be any new matches, causing way too many rematches.
    Cupitt- Best LW and nice LHW. Possibly 2nd best.

• croyalporter says:

I second the motion that these drafts become an annual event!

• Scott B says:

I was looking at sams picks and noticed Kurt Angle and Bobby Lashley…What organization do they they fight in . I didnt even know they were fighting. I know Kurt wanted to but his neck was too jacked ..Come on tell me wheres the love.