twitter google

Saturday’s “Godz of War” event postponed

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned from multiple sources speaking on the condition of anonymity that this Saturday’s “Godz of War” event that scheduled to take place at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, Carolina has been postponed.

Ticketmaster.com is no longer accepting ticket orders for the event and indicates that the event has been postponed. There is no word when or if the event will be rescheduled.

The event had been scheduled to air on pay-per-view through limited distribution.

One source indicated that poor ticket sales was the primary culprit but that injuries sustained by both fighters in the originally scaled main event was another setback.

The event was initially supposed to be headlined by a heavyweight clash featuring Kevin Randleman taking on Jeff Monson, however, Randleman was forced to pull out of the bout due to injury. He was replaced by former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez.

But the new main event of Monson vs. Rodriguez was compromised after Monson was injured fighting Josh Barnett during a World Victory Road show in Japan last month.

Monson was supposed to fight Mike Russow in the main event of Adrenaline MMA’s inaugural event this past weekend but was forced to pull out and was replaced by Jason Guida.

One source indicated to Five Ounces of Pain last week that the promoters of “Godz of War” learned early last week that Monson would not be available for their event either.

In addition to Monson, Randleman, and Rodriguez, a middleweight bout between former UFC middleweight champion Murilo Bustamante and UFC veteran Josh Haynes had been scheduled. Bouts involving Luiz Azeredo vs. Kamal Shalorus, and Milton Vieira vs. David Gardner had been on tap as well.

6 COMMENTS
  • Evan says:

    I can’t believe they were charging PPV.

  • kazja says:

    I told everyone it would not take place. Here is how the UFC kept pride out of California.

    # kazja Says:
    February 7th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

    Ever wonder how the ufc kept pride out of california? Well when the rules were going through again in 2006 even though they were approved in 2000. Kirk Hendrix attorney for the ufc was at the meeting and so was I. The commission of california was saying that if we approved the boxing ring for pride it would hold up the process. We all commented and said we will wait because no one wanted the ufc to take full control of the sport in the state where it was originated. Kirk Hendrix kept on saying the octagon was for the safety of the fighter. He was using the same reasons I used in Las Vegas to get the Octagon I originated approved. I was for the octagon but I did not want the UFC to have control of the sport I wrote the rules for and of the octagon I originated. I spoke up and said that ” Why do you allow the boxing ring for the Russian mixed martial art of Draka and the Japanese Art of San Shou which uses throws and take downs the same as MMA. After my speech they approved the boxing ring. Well Kirk Hendrix got a special meeting two weeks later which I also attended and there were all new commissioners. The old ones either quit or were replaced. The new commissioners shot it down. I then started to contact all the government officials and the boxing ring was finally approved. Well once the boxing ring was approved the ufc bought pride. I originated the octagon if you check out http://www.kagekombat.com you will see all the proof. Why can’t the ufc stop me from using the octagon or stop me from promoting the Octagon Contenders if I did not create the octagon. If you want proof of these allegations I can be reached at [email protected]

    http://www.cagetoday.com/fertittas-file-suit-against-former-pride-owners/

  • neil says:

    It’s not really suprising that this would happen. With Monson fighting so much in a short span of time, it was bound to happen eventually… and let’s face it: without a “somebody” like Monson, they weren’t going to have many buys, or sell a ton of seats.

  • Brandon says:

    Seriously how many MMA events in the past two years have advertised having Jeff Monson fighting and then in the end he pulls out and the show doesn’t go on…. this has to be like the 5th time at least…

  • Evan says:

    Brandon…I would say the only person who has been listed on cards more than him has been “TBA”

  • Gladius says:

    Well, that sucks and worries me about the event’s overall stability.
    BUUUUTT,..maybe now they can fix the fight better, I mean some of the guys on that card near are a freaking joke. That ROGER CARROLL douche is a bum and doesn’t really qualify to fight by NC boxing commission standards. This is MMA,….NOT the Special Olympics!

    If this event is going to leave a GOOD impression then let’s get some good fighter’s!

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.