twitter google

Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin added to Affliction undercard on July 19 (UPDATED!)

061206belfort.jpg

Update: FiveOuncesOfPain.com spoke with Keith Kizer, the Executive Director for the Nevada State Athletic Commission, earlier this afternoon. According to Mr. Kizer, Belfort’s suspension ended in July of last year, increasing the possibility he will get licensed in California. However, Mr. Kizer indicated that Belfort has not yet satisfied the required $10,000 fine that was imposed at the time of his suspension. There are plans to notify the California State Athletic Commission that the fine has not yet been paid. Also, Mr. Kizer indicated that Belfort’s decision to compete in the UK for Cage Rage even though he was still under suspension by NSAC is only likely to affect him if he applies for license again in Nevada.

Affliction: Banned is quickly becoming MMA’s version of Woodstock.

As if the July 19 card wasn’t already stacked enough, the promotion’s website is indicating that a middleweight bout between former UFC fighters Vitor Belfort and Terry Martin has been added to the card.

According to the Affliction website, the Belfort vs. Martin bout is not guaranteed to be broadcast.

The 31-year old Belfort has not competed in the U.S. since losing to Dan Henderson at PRIDE 32 in October of 2006. After the bout, Belfort tested positive for a banned performance enhancing drug.

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, ignored a suspension imposed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and went to the UK to compete for the Cage Rage promotion, where he compiled a 2-0 record.

There has been no public report that has indicated Belfort has satisfied his suspension with NSAC. It remains to be seen whether the California State Athletic Commission would ignore NSAC’s suspension, assuming a deal has not been reached to reinstate Belfort.

Following two consecutive losses in the UFC, Martin tried his hand at professional boxing. There have been conflicting reports in regards to Martin’s status and whether he was on hiatus from the UFC or had been released. However, it is pretty apparent that he no longer has a valid contract with the UFC based on his involvement with the Affliction show.

Martin is also scheduled to appear on Monte Cox’s Adrenaline MMA show scheduled for this Saturday at the Sears Center in Chicago.

22 COMMENTS
  • matt says:

    Honestly, I’m gonna be angry if he’s allowed to fight. It will set the precedent that a suspension for steroids only means you can’t fight in the US, you can go overseas and come back when it is over.

  • bjjdenver says:

    Good to see Vitor back, hopefully he can put the tragedy in his life to rest.

  • mike wolfe says:

    Boy, if Comcrap doesn’t offer this, I’m gonna … well,… um… I could always… hmm. I’ll really piss and whine. That’ll show ’em.

  • JoHn says:

    once again, i hope affliction doesnt blow its wad on the first show, it is a great card, but what can they do with the second card

  • bjjdenver says:

    #4, they can put the big name fighters they are using, in better match ups.

    Fedor/Barnett, Aleks/AA, Babalu/Lil’ Nog, etc…

    Plus, they can add some lighter weight fights (please!).

  • Evan says:

    #5…I hope not. I will buy this card but not the same card twice with a reshuffled line up.

  • bjjdenver says:

    #6, Evan, like i said, hopefully they will add to it, and if they are serious about succeeding, I’m sure they will.

    But are you saying you don’t want to see Fedor/Barnett or Babalu/Lil’ Nog or AA/Aleks?? I think those are the far superior matches. IMO, Affliction is using the big names to draw the fans in, then intend to put on the bigger actual fights to bring them back.

  • Jackyl says:

    I think it’s a great show. One of the issues people have raised with Affliction is how are they going to sustain these fighter gaurantees. I think that has been answered with Donald Trump’s involvement. This show is building up a lot of buzz because it has some blockbuster matchups. The aforemeantioned matchups like Fedor vs Barnett can be done on the next show. Throw in Tito, maybe at heavyweight. If they can put together a couple nice shows, it’ll rock. I think the problem with the IFL is fighter recognition. Affliction is stacked with names that hardcore to semi hardcore fans all know and love, and they just keep stackin on more.

  • Evan says:

    “But are you saying you don’t want to see Fedor/Barnett or Babalu/Lil’ Nog or AA/Aleks??”

    Of course I want to see it but I am not sure many will be willing to pay for a reshuffled card. Considering how much I pay monthly for PPV already I think I would simply wait until the fights hit the internet the next day.

    Unless of course there is a nice long gap between cards.

  • bjjdenver says:

    Yeah Evan, I see your point, but I think it will be a couple of months at least, and hopefully by then, they have a deal with HDNet.

  • Evan says:

    Hope so bjj but they may have burned their bridge with them. Remember this was supposed to be in Dallas and with HDnet.

    I know we’re looking too far down the road but thats what overly obsessed fans do. hah

  • JoHn says:

    it would be such a long layover between cards if the had the same fighters fighting different opponents, they cant have just 2 cards a year, that would be rediculous and by then you would have nothing but die hard fans watching the sequel, because all the casual fans would have reverted back to the other orgs, ufc, wec, and that gary shaw kimbo slice organization known as elitexc, i wish shaw would promote lawler and cung le as much as they do kimbo

  • bjjdenver says:

    #12, I think you may be getting to used to the UFC only having their guys fight twice a year. Depending on how the fights play out, it wouldn’t be stretch to see some of the same guys fight again in 2 months.

    Cung Le is a Strikeforce fighter, not EXC. He was shown on the co-promoted cards that SF and EXC did, but that agreement has ended now, unfortunately, though it looks as if HDNet is now showing Strikeforce cards and they be going live on NBC soon.

    I personally think that Lawler/Smith 2 will headline whatever EXC it is put on.

  • Rich S. says:

    are you serious?
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS
    VITOR’S BACK!
    he’s one of my favorite fighters.
    i hope he pulls a “Vitor/Eastman” on Terry’s ass!

  • JoHn says:

    #14 aggressively training for a specific fighter would take longer than 2 mths if you want the fighters to be at the top of their respective game, fedor cant train for sylvia and then fight couture 2 mths later and be at his peek performance, especially if injuries occur, even a cut to the face, so no, i dont think that can logically happen… if they do put a card together you will see a replay of the ufc 85 card where the whole card gets changed midstream

  • JoHn says:

    sorry i meant #13

  • bjjdenver says:

    #16, unfortunately, they are not in a position to wait. Imo, the bigger obstacle, will be using fighters like Sylvia, who is actually signed to Adrenaline. i’m sure They will be looking to use some of these same fighters on their upcoming cards as well.

    And i disagree with your assessment as to how well they can train for a specific opponent. Most fighters spend only a certain portion of their training camps focusing on those specifics. Though, i do see your point, and I agree, 3-4 months would be better, giving us 3-4 fights per year.

    It isn’t about what I want, but what would make their promotion the most viable.

  • Evan says:

    “Cage Rage – even though he was still under suspension by NSAC is only likely to affect him if he applies for license again in Nevada.”

    I thought the CSAC and NSAC tended to honor each other’s rulings?

  • DPK says:

    Even if CSAC would let him fight against NSAC’s suspension, as a new organization I wouldn’t want to get on the NSAC’s bad side.

    Hope Belfort can get this cleared up, it will be good to see him back in action

  • […] Thats something I’ve been mentioning everytime his name comes up. Here’s an informative update from Sam Caplan about that situation. […]

  • Nate says:

    OMG! Victor Belfort might be back! How can anyone not be begging to pay for this card?

    As much as Victor has completely trashed his MMA career (seemly intentionally almost), when he is “on” .. he is truely awesome.

  • pretty boy pete says:

    vitor is back nsac have no say in csac rulings difrrent bodys altoghter

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.