Brandon Vera: “That ref sucks.”

Brandon Vera was a very angry man at the post fight press conference, video of which can be found here.

Vera was very disappointed at Fabricio Werdum’s comments at the post fight press conference with Werdum stating that he didn’t want an immediate rematch with Vera and that he should “go to the queue again” which according to Vera is in direct contrast to comments he made directly after the fight.

When asked about his thoughts on the fight and what he thought he deserved after it, Vera replied:

I’ve got a lot to say about that fight. That ref sucks.

I’m kinda disappointed in Fabricio, he said yes, earlier in the cage, right after. At least that’s what I thought. He shook his head like, “yeah, we’ll do it again”. Now he’s telling me to get back in queue. I understand why he doesn’t want to fight me again. I hope you win that title Fabricio because I’m really looking forward to fighting you again. I don’t agree with that stoppage and ah… yeah, I’m pissed.

There are plenty more post fight interviews over at UFC.com  if you want to get the thoughts of many of the other fighter’s on the card.

Read more Brandon Vera  and UFC 85 content  on FiveOuncesOfPain.com.

• RUSH says:

Brandon, you wouldnt have been in so much trouble if you werent such a small heavyweight. Swallow your pride and cut to 205

• king mah mah says:

I agree with Vera on this one. He was mounted, but not really trouble and there was only 15 or 20 seconds left in the round. The UFC is always talking about giving people what they paid for aren’t they? Well then let a guy survive 15 seconds to get to the next round! I could see if he was really getting pounded and was on the verge of being knocked out, but that was clearly not the case.

• Bad Monkey says:

It’s a tough spot for the ref. On one hand you want to try and let the fighter defend himself and get out of trouble, but on the other hand if they let it go on too long and the fighter gets seriously injured the ref is going to catch hell for not stopping the fight sooner.

Either way, Vera definitely needs to drop to 205. I mean, he’s coming into a heavyweight fight around the same weight that Forrest is walking around at before he cuts for a fight.

• sc0o8i3 says:

Ok Vera totally got robbed. Vera was effin owning up to Werdum even though Werdum looks way bigger. Keep in mind that Vera was number one contender at one time and will reach the ranks. But, how do you expect Vera to get there with crappy refs? Vera is fine where he is and can definitely reach championship. The UFC just needs to learn how to pick their damn refs. I mean seriously, 15 effin seconds left in the FIRST round. Vera was obviously not hurt and was covering the hammer shots pretty damn well. Fabricio does not want another fight with Vera because Vera will end up slaughtering him for this win. Later…

• paddiosf says:

Vera wasn’t intelligently protecting himself, Vera is a talented fighter but he isn’t going to ever be HW champ 220, he was quoted of saying he doesn’t like to cut weight? Verdum got him on the ground and mounted him with ease..

• king mah mah says:

What is “intelligently defending yourself ” anyway? I mean Brandon knew he was in a bad position and also knew that there was only 15 seconds left in the fight. So he covered up and absorbed those weak punches with his arms. Sounds pretty intelligent to me.

How about from now on, every time someone gets rocked with a punch the fight gets stopped immediately….. because they weren’t “intelligent” enough to block the punch!

• mike wolfe says:

Vera was up on his feet and protesting the stoppage immediately. He wasn’t stunned or disoriented at all. Hindsight sees 20/20, but that was a premature stoppage.

• king mah mah says:

Left in the round i meant

• king mah mah says:

I say if that went to round 2 then vera wins it.

• mike wolfe says:

#9

Agreed. Vera has consistently beaten bigger, heavier fighters, with the exception of Sylvia, and he had a broken hand in that one.

• Skwirrl says:

Um Vera never fought anybody worth a damn until he fought Sylvia, and Werdums strikes aren’t devastating but the fight would have ended the same way rd 1 2 or 3. You can’t just cover up and turtle to “defend yourself” Hip up to escape or get under or overhooks, sweep, DO SOMETHING, don’t just bitch about it later. Vera is a pussy

• KneeToTheFace says:

Sit down Brandon Vera.

• ctownhood says:

Look, I am not going to defend Miragliotta, because I thought he stopped the fight a tad early. But Vera should be more pissed at his performance prior to the stoppage (and his last fight against Sylvia) more so than the stoppage. He is a small HW, and it’s no secret that he is just not willing to put the work in to get to 205, where he belongs. So stop whining Vera, and be a professional. Plus, I am glad we didn’t see that stupid victory dance thing you do….

• THORAZINE says:

Vera’s small for a heavyweight, but IMO,, he has a much better chance of winning a title in heavyweight than the stacked UFC 205 division… I don’t care for Vera, but that was a terrible stoppage and that ref’ sucks!!

• THORAZINE says:

Vera’s small for a heavyweight, but IMO,, he has a much better chance of winning a title in heavyweight than the stacked UFC 205 division… I don’t care for Vera, he was kind of fighting like a puss against silva, but that was a terrible stoppage and that ref’ sucks!!

• king mah mah says:

To all the people saying he should cut to 205,…………. how much skinnier do you think he can get?! Jesus, he is what 6’5 or 6’6? How about if he drops to 145lbs to fight Faber in WEC!

• king mah mah says:

ok i just looked it up he’s only 6’2, but still he looks like a string bean now, imagine if he cut weight.

• Grape Knee High says:

I’ll all for Vera dropping to 205 if it means he’ll stop the incessant whining. He is delusional. He actually thought he won the first round? What a moron.

• brandon vera says:

WERDUM IS GAY… ( . )\/( . )