WEC 34: “Faber vs. Pulver” Results

WEC 34: “Faber vs. Pulver” takes place tonight from the Arco Arena in Sacramento, California. The event is being headlined by WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber and challenger Jens Pulver. The televised portion of the card takes placed at 9pm ET and is being broadcasted live on The Versus Network. Stay locked onto Five Ounces of Pain for all your WEC and WEC 34 content!

Main Card

• Urijah Faber def. Jens Pulver via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-44, 50-44)
  • Miguel Torres def. Yoshiro Maeda via TKO (doctor stoppage – Maeda’s eye was swollen shut) at 5:00 of round three
  • Mark Munoz def. Chuck Grigsby via TKO (strikes) at 4:15 of round one
  • Rob McCullough def. Kenneth Alexander via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
  • Undercard

• Donald Cerrone def. Danny Castillo via submission (armbar) at 1:31 of round one (though the time announced was 0:30)
  • Mike Thomas Brown def. Jeff Curran via unanimous decision (30-27)
  • Will Ribeiro def. Chase Beebe via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
  • Tim McKenzie def. Jeremy Lang via submission (triangle choke) at 0:40 of round three
  • Alex Serdyukov def. Luis Sapo via TKO (Sapo unable to continue) at 5:00 of round one
  • Jose Aldo def. Alexandre Franca Nogueira via TKO (strikes) at 3:22 of round two
  • Dominic Cruz def. Charlie Valencia via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
  • Patrick says:

10 mins till it starts… I cannot wait. Some of the fights on this main card are great, I really wish Versus televised the undercard… but i’ll catch it online later i guess.

• koolpaw says:

omg Alexandre Franca Nogueira got KOed????

• JOe K. says:

Was the undercard televised?

It’s starting!!!!!!!!!

• jaydog says:

Today, I went to a bookstore and one of the workers there was talking about MMA. Guess who it was? Joe Silva’s mom! We chatted for a moment. I told her that her son puts together some exciting events. She said his biggest challenge is finding replacements for injured fighters. No kidding! How bizarre for the Sunday morning after the first Saturday Night Fights on CBS.

Jens Pulver is moving to my hometown, Richmond, VA after the Faber fight. So, I’m rooting for the guy to put on a good showing. That should help him kick off the gym he’s opening here. Nonetheless, I don’t see why this should go much different than Penn/Pulver II.

• Paul Balsom says:

No, but we may see some of those quick ones on the broadcast (i.e. Cerrone’s 30 second armbar)

• Paul Balsom says:

Jaydog, I know you’re from Chi, where was this???

• jaydog says:

Paul, I’m a Virginian. This was Richmond. I wrote that Levon Maynard story a few months back. I don’t wanna give away the name of the bookstore chain, though.

• Paul Balsom says:

Hmm.. My mistake.

• jaydog says:

The “Razor” ain’t lookin so sharp.

• Paul Balsom says:

Ha! They’re chanting “Fight! Fight! Fight!”

• JOe K. says:

Forrest did the same thing after coming off that loss to Jardine.

• Paul Balsom says:

Except Forrest threw punches and kicks.

• JOe K. says:

Forrest admitted he was timid and scared of getting knocked out.

I thought Grigsby had it until Munoz continued to reign down those diving punches. That was brutal! I wanted to see Grigsby pick him apart but, oh well. That was a nice fight.

• woooburn says:

not that it really matters, but i think that cerrone’s win was more like 1:30, than :30, even though that’s how it was announced.

surprised to read that both beebe and curran lost. looking forward to another clinic from torres

• JOe K. says:

Cerrone is a force to be reckoned with. His jits is exciting and effective.

• JOe K. says:

Round 2 of Torres/Maeda was possibly one of the most exciting rounds I have ever seen

• egad81 says:

Torres is NASTY!!!

• The House says:

I can not believe this maeda/tores fight. The second round just ended and I was actually standing yelling for one of them to tap. Just amazing. Round three here we go.

• woooburn says:

HO-LEE-SH*T. perfect fight, despite the stoppage. hope we get a rematch. absolute definition of mixed martial arts.

• The House says:

I think that might be one of the best fights I have seen in a while.

• Zack says:

give me the lighter weights all day long

• pitbull17 says:

damn, faber is an animal

• Zack says:

He’s a human badger. Are we sure Faber isn’t the #1P4P? Nobody fights like him.

And Jens might be the toughest SOB in MMA…

• Paul Balsom says:

I’d sleep on the #1 pound for pound comments… this happens when any top 10 p4p fighter fights.

• pitbull17 says:

i have all kinds of respect for pulver after this, but faber is just a machine, i wish this card would have been on cbs last night

• Ian says:

Dear WEC,

I love you.

• Paul Balsom says:

if this would have been on CBS, the country would be sold.

• woooburn says:

pretty entertaining main event. as much as i like pulver, i wasn’t expecting him to hang in that long. he seemed nervous as well (like when he fought bj). also got the impression that faber wasnt fully taking it to him (maybe out of respect? and fear of that left hand?). expected him to pounce on him quicker. probably doesn’t help that jens has a kevlar chin either. and speaking of bj… i wouldnt mind seeing faber fight him. or torres even.

• pitbull17 says:

no doubt, these are two very classy guys, i’d watch faber-pulver II

• roomservicetaco says:

WEC is fantastic. Torres/Maeda will be hard to top. Love everything about the WEC – lighter, more technical fighters, production, announcers. Wish Torres/Maeda had been on CBS.

• koolpaw says:

lost words after watching great 2 wars of WEC….

oh wow….

• Trsigley says:

When Elite XC can produce anything even close to that then we can talk about taking them seriously. Wow what a war with Torres and Maeda. I have never seen anything like the double ankle lock. I almost had to turn away when Maeda was cranking his ankle. How did he not tap? It was nice to see both champs get tested. Pulver you may not be able to compete physically anymore, but your heart and chin is amazing.

• Patrick says:

Can I just say… Those two main event fights were absolutely phenomenal. It’s a DAMN shame that the crap from Saturday night introduced people to MMA because if this card was the one on network T.V. with that WAR between Faber and Pulver headlining… so many more people would be psyched about the sport.

The Torres fight, and the Faber fight were easily some of the best so far of the year.

I think that the Faber/Pulver fight proves a lot of things about both fighters:

Faber really can go 5 rounds and just be the same quick strong great fighter he is in the first round in the fifth round.

Faber can do more than whirlwind wrestle.

Jens doesn’t quit, Jens can take damage like a mad man and keep throwing down, and that Jens deserves his place in MMA history, he’s a great guy and a great role model just like Faber said.

Color me f*cking impressed with that featherweight war, that was awesome, simply awesome.

• Patrick says:

Also just noticed from an earlier reply to this, Jaydog any ideas on where his gym will be at in Richmond? I just graduated and am back in V.A. (more towards D.C.) and am trying to find some quality places to start training at again.

• Brent says:

WEC just took a giant, steaming sh*t in ProElite’s mouth.

• Evan says:

“WEC just took a giant, steaming sh*t in ProElite’s mouth.”

bwaaaaaaa hahahahahhah

• Evan says:

Mark Munoz has my attention. That was awesome as well as the main events!!!

• glock says:

All of the above… Just frickin wow. Damn shame “the masses’ didn’t see this instead of the crapola last night.This was MMA the way it’s meant to be. This clearly shows the difference between the Majors and the farm leagues . Between UFC/WEC and everyone else – I have a whole new respect for Pulvers chin – Always respected his skills…..

• king mah mah says:

great fight, but where was the point deduction on faber when he repeatedly hit pulver in the back of the head? I thought 50-44 was a bit harsh for pulver.

• Rich S. says:

first off.. i here by nominate Torres/Maeda for FOTY..
    second off.. i want to say that Chuck Grigsby may have the worst ground game i’ve ever seen.. Butterbean would’ve been better off in his place.. ok.. maybe not Butterbean.. but still..
    he had the armbar and the triangle right there on the tip of his fingers.. and it seemed as if he didn’t even know what either of those were! just sat there in the guard.. and when his foot was being held from the standing position.. he just kinda.. rolled half-way over.. and took all the abuse.. horrible..
    third off..
    i think with a few more shots/shots landed, Jens could’ve gotten the upper hand.. he barely even punched until Urijah lured him in with those oppossum antics.. oh.. and i thought it was rather ridiculous that he was letting faber hit him with those telegraphed/charged up shots.. and then he would smile.. and get hit again.. Jens.. i was rooting for you.. but.. smiling when you get hit, and then getting hit again… doesn’t win matches.. heart and good gameplans do.. you had the heart part.. overall it was a good fight.. with a few back and forth parts.. but it was full of action.. and that’s what the crowd wants..

i liked this card..
    and i want to see Urijah/Jens II pronto..

• slimm says:

im just leaving the Arco Arena, wow what a great night of fights completely impressed with the WEC, far superior to Elite XC….
    hey only one guy the taser used on him in the crowd, speaking of the Sacramento crowd in the earlier fights the were randomly booing and complaining yet after most of the drunks didnt have the energy to boo there seemed to be a rather knowledgable crowd here.. aplauding reverses sweeps,real technical fighting…. o and the section i was in were the harshish towards Tito….

there were absolutley great fight to see and to be here in person made it even better…. Cowboys sub was sick and he got very little love for doing what he did to the hometown fav… Big Frog was very dissapointing for me im a fan of his and he didnt look anywhere on his game…. Chase Beebe ehh it was and ok fight nothing too exciting…. the Torres fight o my god what a war how did Torres not tap that was nasty the crowd respected that back and forth battle and it was awesome that both fighters showed sooo much respect to one another….. great show of class…
    Lil Evil is a tuff son of a bitch and Faber is a animal the show boating and all what a war if they fight again it will be another classic, Jens i believe will get his chance at the man again….. for my first major event i had a great experience cheers…… such a great night all respect to Zuffa and WEC thx for making such a great card free on tv and reasonible for tickets…..

• Brent says:

amazing televised card…. amazing

• Mike says:

Now that was how a fight card should be. Imagine is this would of been on CBS. WEC put EliteXC to shame.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Awesomeness.

Two minutes into Maeda/Torres I said to my brother, “ah… this is so much better than elitexc.”

• roomservicetaco says:

Loved Mir and Harris during the 2nd round of Torres/Maeda. They sat silent for about 30 secs, then Mir just says “this may be the best fight I’ve ever seen.” Let the action speak for itself…no need to hype a gem like that. Take note Mauro, Goldie, Bill Goldberg, and sometimes Rogan.

• Punishark says:

Hope they end up showing the McKenzie vs. Lang fight on tv sometime soon. That was an AWESOME fight. ARCO was bedlam tonight. Loved it. Plus some nice tussles in the stands!

• JOe K. says:

Was the undercard televised?

That Maeda/Torres fight was unreal. The 2nd round of the fight was possibly the best round of MMA I have seen to date. That double heal hook was crazy. I didn’t even realize that I had got up from my bed and was standing with my hands on my face! Torres is a bad-ass but Maeda is my new favorite bantamweight.

does anyone know what happened at the weigh-ins? The announcers kept alluding to some confrontation.

The Faber/Pulver fight was solid. I wanted Pulver to win just to see if Faber could be beat. Has Faber had any fights go past round 2 while he has had the belt? I like Faber but I will always root against him until he loses.

• king mah mah says:

does anyone think faber should have lost a point for strikes to the back of the head?

• j mac says:

# 40 I totally agree with you how the hell was jens letting himself get hit with those punches faber was measuring him and maybe after a couple you’d think he woulda at least moved his head and then pulver got outboxed by faber that didnt make any sense pulver was timid with his punching faber has outrageous cardio would like to see faber pulver 2 but only if jens throws more punchs. Torres fight was amazing that kid is a killer wil definately watch any fight involving him anytime great jits but never backed down when standing WEC great job!!

• Kogepan says:

WTF at the cornrows??? Faber -1000

• Kogepan says:

yeh, except NOBODY watches VERSUS. Ask the NHL, which basically committed suicide by aligning with that crap network.

• el boxeo says:

the main event was a great fight…mabye its time for dana to set up shop somewhere else for the wec other than versus.. cause these weightclasses are damn exciting…

tonights card was def better than last nights but it was also better than the last ufc card too….

• Hawaiian Kid says:

It was a great fight. uriah dominated the fight from start to finish. Pulver is a warrior but I dont think he could handle uriahs speed and quickness.

• Andrej says:

Kogepan I don’t watch Versus in Canada. Thank god TSN carried the live event without interuption. Hopefully WEC stays on TSN for awhile know.

• Hawaiian Kid says:

I also have to say pulver was very classy in defeat.

• Nate says:

How can Pulver not get knocked out????? Insane!

Faber, Pulver and Torres amazing. THANKS WEC, I would have easily paid $40 for that fight… but it was free… sweeeeet

• Jackyl says:

Excellent card . Go WEC! All the fights were enjoyable. The Torres fight rocked, and Faber vs Pulver was a fight that lived up to the hype. With the sport being what it is, we don’t always get to see fights that live up to expectations. This one was great. I would have liked to see Jens pull out the win but I don’t think he lost any respect last night. Jens would also probably destroy any of the other FW. So how about Torres moves up to 145 and we get a superfight with Torres and Faber?

• JollyDV says:

Fantastic, exciting card last night. The final 2 fights were probably the best I have seen this year. Maeda/Torres was just non-stop action, I almost thought at times it was on fast forward. I do hope they plan a rematch.

Faber/Pulver: I was rooting for Jens, but thought Faber would win but after the pre-fight interviews I really listened to what Jens was saying, and had me believing that he was going to win.He said so matter of factly, “I want that belt”, “I need that belt”. I was drawn in hook, line and sinker, Jens is gonna win this fight. Though he didn’t win, he sure hung in there. Faber is phenomenal, props to him. Love Jens though. I do hope to see a rematch of these 2 as well.

Just a super show to watch. Thanks WEC. When it was over, I found myself sitting there just smiling, alone, sitting on the couch thinking, “oh my gosh, that was crazy good”.

I did not see one go-go dancer, did anyone else?

• woooburn says:

“Evan: Mark Munoz has my attention. That was awesome as well as the main events!!!”

definitely. although it looks like the dude could be fighting at 185 no problem.

and this would probably never happen, but why doesn’t tito sign with the wec? he’s apparently in love with the fertitta brothers, and only wants out of the ufc because of dana (who if i understand correctly, doesnt have as much control in the wec). if he fought there, he’d be a big fish, and be able to prolong his career a bit longer. not that i really care to see him fight, but it might make sense. seems to have revitalized pulver’s career.

• ufc69inTX says:

pulver should definitely be moved up in the rankings, i dont know if there is another featherweight that can beat him, he will be the gatekeeper for faber until faber/pulver 2, outstanding display of standup and heart, kudos men, torres/maeda all i can say is WOW, elitexc is just plain bad for the sport, but i do have to say i was pretty impressed with the ladies, as well as the lawler/smith brawl, but thats all it was

• Patrick says:

Yeah Pulver definitely needs to be higher ranked in the featherweight top 10. Especially with so many of those other featherweight top 10’ers inactive.

• Rich S. says:

i really do think that Torres/Maeda outs Alvarez/Hansen.. so.. if you ask me, we have a new FOTY on our hands..