5 Oz. of Pain Presents: The DUEL

THE DUEL

And here we are with another edition of the THE DUEL!~ This week we again have the superstar known as ME, Huckaby, battling the superstar known as Randy Harrison. Again, if you care to feel free to vote on the left side of your screen for the winner of the battle. Poor Harrison does a great job and seems to get screwed over. I hope this continues as I out argue him handily in this battle.

Let’s go:

1. B.J. Penn will remain a lightweight for more than one more fight.

Harrison: FALSE. I don’t even think that he’s going to stay at lightweight for even one more fight. BJ seems to have a thing where the title that he can win is more attractive to him than the title he can defend, so I fully expect him to move up to try and win the Welterweight Title from GSP, should he get past Jon Fitch at UFC 87. BJ feels like there’s nothing left to do at this weight class for him as he beat the thorn in his side that was Jens Pulver, won the title and then eradicated the guy that he feels like he should have won the belt from in the first place. This new, motivated BJ is going to be looking to cement his place in history by winning as many titles as he can in in as convincing a fashion as possible. Buoyed by the knowledge that he nearly beat GSP in their first fight with a suspect gas tank, he must be salivating at the though of facing him now with his newfound fire for the fight game.

Huckaby: FALSE. Though I will disagree and say he’ll take the winner of Huerta/Florian (see: Florian) and then call it a career at the weight. So I feel that alone should get me the point from the voters. I personally can’t wait for Penn/GSP II, as someone brought up to me recently I thought Penn won their first fight or at the very worst it was a draw. N00bs (sorry to say that) at the time didn’t understand the hype of Penn while we had to watch him lose to GSP and Hughes and just look bad and be mocked. I believe in this Penn just like the last Penn, he’s ready for GSP. Will he win? No. Penn can’t take him down, GSP has the better striking, and GSP can get up if they’re on the ground. Penn had a better chance the first time. But I love the heart and BALLZ of Penn to want to fight the biggest and best guys possible. God bless the man, put him in the Hall of Fame.

2. Lyoto Machida deserves the next light-heavyweight title shot after Forrest Griffin.

Harrison: FALSE. It’s not because he’s not talented and not even because he has the stigma of being a boring fighter. My reasoning is that he hasn’t faced anyone on a top level in the UFC yet to warrant a title shot. Sure he’s 5-0 in the UFC and he’s beaten fighters like Rich Franklin in the past, but his only name win in the UFC is over Tito Ortiz, who ceased being a name that meant something in the division rankings at least a couple of years ago if not more. I say that if Machida can get past the loser of the Griffin/Jackson fight, then he’d be more than worthy of a shot. To me, he’s one of the most talented fighters in the world and is one of the best at Light Heavyweight, but he just needs to get one huge win against an opponent that means something in the division before I can.

Huckaby: TRUE. I can see your points but who else deserves it? I say in real life form Machida fights the loser of Rampage/Forrest and then would get his title shot. Like my friend Adam Morgan, I enjoy and will defend Machida. He dominated Ortiz, he beat (a young) Rich Franklin, (a young, over his head) BJ Penn…. Machida can confuse ANYONE. Forget Ortiz or Heath or anyone, he can do that to Rampage, he can do that to Forrest. It doesn’t matter. He might not be the most exciting but he’s amazing to watch as an MMA fan. Machida is a star and with the four other divisions being dominant (see my article later this week) I’m glad the LHW division can be fun and interesting. Give Machida a shot, let him win, and see who can figure him out first. He’s like any guy in the Mike Tyson Punch-Out Nintendo game. Let’s see who game figure him out.

3. Urijah Faber will dominate Jens Pulver on Sunday.

Harrison: FALSE. I know that there have been a lot of other guys that everyone thought was going to give Faber his toughest test and they ended up falling way short, but for some reason Jens seems like he’s at home in the featherweight division and a lot more confident there than he was at lightweight. Even when he was the UFC champion at lightweight, he didn’t seem as fully comfortable with himself and his game than he is right now. Watching the WEC preview show, Jens seems to be incredibly motivated by the chance to win a title belt in his natural weight class and I think that it’s highly likely that this is going to be a fight that pushes Faber to the brink, only for Faber to push that much further and get the win. If the question was whether Faber would win or not on Sunday, I would have had to say true, but because it’s whether or not he’ll dominate, I have to say false because Jens is going to be one of, if not THE toughest opponent that Faber has ever faced.

Huckaby: TRUE. That’s your problem Harrison, you watched the hype show. I give you, Faber is no Penn. But Jens Pulver, though UNDEFEATED AT FW, just can’t handle the best of the best in any division. Faber is special, he’s top two in the entire world and Pulver can’t match him right now. Pulver might have the standup, MIGHT, and that’s it. And I don’t see Pulver knocking him out. Faber should dominate the pace and break his will just like BJ did. Faber is stronger, Faber has more stamina, Faber has a better chin, and Faber has many less losses on his record. I know Pulver has been around but all that means is you get fluked by Joe Lauzon (or was it?). Pulver, and I like him, isn’t the top of the heap. Urijah Faber is the top of the heap and he’ll get the job done and I think handily.

—-SWITCH IT UP—-

4. Wanderlei Silva is “back.”

Huckaby: FALSE. Whew, hard to answer because I’m not sure he was ever gone. One thing is for certain and that’s a quick knockout of Keith Jardine really doesn’t prove that much. That fact of course known to the thousands of us that picked that very result. You bumrush Jardine, trade shots aggressively and you’ll win brutally. Wandy, maybe more so than anyone else right now, is a mystery when it comes to who he will fight next. There is a potential list of opponents and none of them seem right. Perhaps and the Rampage/Forrest loser? The argument of whether he was gone in the first place aside, I think it will take more than a predictable win over Jardine for everyone to come back around.

Harrison: FALSE. There’s nothing about beating Jardine that says whether Wanderlei Silva is “back” or not because he was expected to win. If he gets in against someone who actually has a chance against him and wins, then I’d say that he’s “back”. Jardine didn’t have a chance because his style, despite being an awkward style to defend against, plays right into Wanderlei’s strengths, as shown on Saturday night. He’s fought at such a high level for such a long time that people expect that high level from him every time out. When he went through his losing streak, he wasn’t losing to scrubs, so I’d be hard-pressed to say that he was ever gone, but for him to be considered “back” in terms of being in contention for the title at 205, he’s going to need a bigger name win than Jardine to get there. Whether that comes with a fight against the loser of Rampage and Forrest or it comes in a fight against another top-five LHW, he that more win in a tough fight to show that he’s got his mind, body, and most importantly, his fighting heart all working as one again.

5. Gina Carano will bring more mainstream viewers to EXC on Saturday night than Kimbo Slice.

Huckaby: TRUE. Do me a favor and go to elitexc.com right now and tell me who is pictured first in the lineup and has their profile link immediately after the fighters. That would be Gina. The pretty girl sells. Tell me the second most hit internet search that came to fiveouncesofpain.com? That girl that was on a series on NBC sells. Plenty of people will tune in and check out Kimbo but when it comes to the mainstream viewers I think the EXC commercials and site know best when it comes to marketing Carano as a star of the show that people need to see. EXC knows they have a few things going for them but first and foremost would be the star making they’ll be doing with both of those fighters. To answer the question however it’s all about Gina to bring in non-MMA fan males that might not have checked out the sport before.

Harrison: TRUE. She’s got the mainstream exposure that comes with already having been on a network television series, she’s doing something different in terms of being a woman in a man’s world, and she’s gorgeous. Once Kimbo can do any of those three, I’d be able to say that he’s bringing the mainstream viewers, but so far, the marketing of the show is heavily leaning towards Gina being the bigger star. To me, this is a brilliant move because there is actually a huge and somewhat untapped market when it comes to female MMA fans and to have Gina be the fighter that they can relate to and they can flock to watch is going to be a huge boost to the mainstream appeal of the show. To me Gina’s mainstream appeal crosses gender, but she’s going to really help bringing new female fans to the sport by fighting on this national stage. Add to this all of the men that will tune in to watch the pretty lady throw hands in the cage and she’s going to end up being the biggest star out of this show, win or lose.

6. Joey Villasenor will drop Phil Baroni to a career .500 record.

Huckaby: TRUE. May I make a suggestion? You know how before the fights they always show fighters training in the back and hitting pads to warm up? Yeah, could Phil Baroni’s trainers not do that with him? Between that and walking to the cage it’s the Baroni equivalent of running a 26.2 mile marathon. Perhaps a water station halfway down the ramp? I’ll give Baroni some props, he had Hose where he wanted him for three or four minutes and really put everything into it to finish the fight. Except he couldn’t. You have to understand Phil, we just don’t get your stamina problems. Run on a bike, jump some rope. It’s the same way we look at Shaq shooting over 10,000 free throws in his career and only hitting 50% of them. I can get 80% of mine and I have little to no athletic prowess whatsoever. What the hell is wrong with him? We just can’t wrap our minds around your complete lack of stamina and fighting an aggressive wrestler in Villasenor, while not a horrible matchup, just isn’t in Baroni’s favor.

Harrison: TRUE. I know that I’ve sounded like Huckaby’s parrot for these last three, but I have different reasons, as usual. While I think that stamina will indeed be a factor in this fight, Villasenor’s wrestling and his heavy-handed ground and pound is going to be the larger problem he’s going to have. Phil doesn’t do well on his back and that’s where Villasenor is going to keep him for the majority of the fight. Once he starts dropping in those hard elbow strikes and is able to push Phil up against the fence, it will end up just being a matter of time before the fight is over and Phil is at .500 for his career. I think that for Phil to win this fight he’s going to have to catch Villasenor early with a hard shot, and with Villasenor’s chin and his stand-up defense, I just don’t see that happening. The stamina won’t even come into play because honestly, I see Villasenor stopping him in the first or early in the second anyhow.

——–

Join us next week when two new MMA columnists battle with six new statements. Remember, if you care, to vote for the winner on the left side of your screen. We love victories.

• HexRei says:

huckaby loves bj’s balls! XD

• Is this where I make a stamina joke?

• Bic says:

This is the first duel that really didn’t have any difference in opinion. I know there was a little but for the most part it was agreeing but moving the words around a little. Maybe it was the questions, but I’ll still be looking forward to the next Duel

• cyph says:

GSP has better striking? Please, Penn took GSP to school in the striking department in their first fight. I don’t know who will win in a rematch, but GSP outstriking Penn is laughable. He can’t even outstrike Matt Serra!

• Nick says:

This wasn’t a duel, more like a pattycake session. Did you guys cuddle when you were done?

• Well we’re not going to make up arguments just to debate sides. What is this, an ESPN show?

• the Levi says:

a draw a first iwas going to vote Huckaby but you guys agreed toomuch

• Schwa says:

#4
    I think that GSP does have better overall striking, he’s much more versatile then Penn. Penn has very effective hands but rarely uses kicks or sets up with the threat of kicks.

GSP was doing fine on his feet in their fight until he got poked in the eye. Even after that he was landing leg kicks and jabs on Penn, but Penn must have cowhide for skin because he doesn’t seem to ever show damage. He also jacked GSPs nose with an uppercut which was more superficial damage (I actually noticed it looked like Penn used the same combo to put Sherk on the fence for the knee, except the punch connected).

He has only been using strikes to set up the takedown or the takedown threat to set up strikes because no one has been able to handle his top control and guard passing so why wouldn’t he stick with it?

• bjjdenver says:

kiss your sisters…it’s a tie.

• Jesse Denis says:

“No. Penn can’t take him down, GSP has the better striking”

• Hardcharger says:

“BJ has way better striking, the only thing GSP has on him is better kicks. But last time BJ basically won the striking portion of the match decisively, he sent GSP to the hospital that night from all the damage he did to his face.”

This is one of the biggest exaggerations from that fight that continues to be perpetuated by ardent Penn supporters.

GSP went to the hospital because he had his eye poked by Penn and was blinded for most of the first round. Given that having good vision is a pretty important trait for a pro fighter, going to the hospital to make sure you don’t need surgery on your eye is anything but a big deal. Somehow, Penn fans make it seem like it was some great feat that GSP went to the hospital to get his eye checked due to an eye poke.

In addition, GSP landed more overall strikes than Penn in that fight, due to the multitude of kicks he landed.

“GSP will do better against Penn now, but basically because he refuses to strike with anyone. I doubt he’ll decide to use his stand-up again on a guy who damaged him so badly last time.”

This is another absurd claim. GSP stood with Koscheck the entire 3rd round and picked Kos apart standing until Kos shot for a TD. GSP won the standup against Serra in their 2nd fight. Just because he mixes up his TDs and ground game with his standup doesn’t mean he won’t stand up. If his opponents could stop his takedowns or his guard passes or GNP, maybe they would last long enough for GSP to show his striking in Rd 3, 4 or 5.

• justafand says:

My lucky day. I always wanted to meet the first person on the planet that thinks GSP has better striking then Penn. And he is a MMA authority at that, oh boy this is the most credible website out there.

• D says:

Yeah, where’s the draw option?

• cyph says:

Patently false. GSP beat Koscheck at his own game…wrestling.

GSP won the standup against Serra in their 2nd fight.

What? Are you serious? There’s no point in arguing since you obviously see something no one sees.

• andy says:

GSP won the standup against Serra in their 2nd fight.

– just because they weren’t standing the whole time doesn’t mean there wasn’t a “stand up game” to be won. GSP clearly got the better of EVERY exchange during the 2nd serra fight – even if it was just the repeated jabs in the middle of the 2nd round. Serra had his hands at his waist because he was so fatigued (from the up/down pace GSP set). Serra landed nothing except for that attempted flurry in the 2nd – little of which actually touched GSP.

– do you really think that one could argue Serra won the “stand up game” in the 2nd fight? my friend if you think that, then you see something no one else does. just because it wasn’t a kickboxing match doesn’t mean anything – the few exchanges they had GSP very clearly won.

• cyph says:

No one is arguing that Serra won the stand up game. There was no stand up fight for Serra-GSP II. Just like GSP has no stand up game any more.

GSP is one-dimensional now because he knows what his bread and butter is. He was out struck by Penn and he was out struck and KOed by Serra. GSP’s kryptonite is the stand up game and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. GSP 2.0 is a better version of Matt Hughes. He’s good, but he’s not the multi-dimensional fighter than so many people believe him to be. His fans need to stop crediting him with qualities he doesn’t possess.

• revjames says:

Prediction for GSP/PENN 2

Penn weighs in at 166-169 lbs without cutting any weight. He is in the best shape of his life. GSP weighs in at 170-170 1/2 and is what he always is, a huge 170 in phenomenal shape. The stare down is even more intense on Penn’s part than the Sherk fight, but GSP smiles it off.

Round 1: They come out and touch gloves. GSP circles away while Penn stalks him. Penn works his jab while GSP fires off leg kicks. Both are somewhat successful but no telling damage is done in the first minute or so.

GSP ducks a straight right from Penn and shoots. Penn does that triangle position with his leg and defends the takedown, but GSP backs him against the cage with his momentum. Penn circles away immediately and fires off a couple strikes. It opens a minor cut below GSP’s eye.

GSP regroups and ratchets the pace up a notch. He fires off some head kicks which just miss doing some real damage. Penn stays in the pocket and they trade. GSP lands a good hook, but Penn actually advances after it and they clinch. Penn tries to trip him but GSP maintains his balance.

The round winds down with neither able to score a takedown or do significant striking damage. GSP has a small cut, but otherwise the round was very even. Penn takes it due to the cut on two of three scorecards. The other judge gives it to GSP for landing the hook later in the round.

Round 2: GSP comes out like he’s all about striking for the first few moments, but then transitions into an all out bid for a takedown. Penn holds him off with incredible displays of balance but GSP is relentless and he gets the takedown. Penn pulls rubber guard immediately. GSP tries to work his GnP from inside Penn’s guard but he does little to no damage. Penn attempts a triangle choke but GSP gets out of it and he stands up. Big surprise, he wants no part of Penn’s guard. Penn stands up and they resume their striking battle.

Penn looks less fresh than GSP but it is nothing particularly telling. GSP fires off kicks to the legs and head. Penn checks most of the leg kicks and avoids anything upstairs. Penn’s jab finds a home a couple times but nothing significant opens up for him there. GSP goes for a spinning back kick. Penn grabs his leg and takes him down.

Penn tries to hold GSP down and inflict some damage. GSP avoids anything severe and explodes up after less than a minute. In the final moments of the round, GSP scores another takedown, but Penn reverses it in the last seconds as the crowd goes wild.

Penn gets the round on two of three cards. The other judge gives it to GSP for the extra takedown.

Round 3: Penn is breathing heavier but not looking gassed. GSP looks more winded than usual but is definitely the fresher of the two. The round starts slower than the first two. They circle for awhile trading blows. Penn has the more effective jab, GSP the more effective leg kicks. After a straight right finds its mark Penn advances, looking to put GSP away. It doesn’t happen and GSP takes him down.

GSP holds Penn down for the bulk of the round by doing enough work to stay busy and not get stood up right away. Penn doesn’t find any openings for a sub, though he avoids much damage. GSP lands some knees when he transitions to side control. Penn gets him back in his guard and they get stood up in the last 30 seconds. Penn looks a tired but GSP is cautious and doesn’t rush him in the stand up.

The round ends as they circle each other and GSP gets it on all three cards.

Round 4: Penn comes out all business for the forth round. He’s still got gas in the tank, just not as much as GSP. But he’s not messing around and after landing a couple solid shots GSP wants no part of the stand up.

They clinch and GSP backs him up to the cage. GSP picks him up and slams him to the mat. The crowd goes nuts. But as GSP tries to mount Penn reverses him and takes his back. GSP tries to scramble away but Penn has his legs locked around GSP’s mid section and is applying the pressure. GSP defends the RNC well at first while Penn fires off shots to the side of his head. Penn tries to use his leg to hold down one of GSP’s arms. GSP’s scrambles out and reverses him. Penn pulls instant guard. GSP rains down a couple blows but Penn grabs his arm and locks in a triangle choke.

GSP taps out with less than a minute remaining.

Penn is declared the number 1 pound for pound fighter in the world by many, though Anderson Silva is right there.

Talk about BJ fighting Anderson begins immediately.