Is Sean Sherk ready to fight again?

Even though Sean Sherk took a fifteen minute pounding at the hands B.J. Penn at UFC 84, he already has a certain date circled on the calendar for his return to the cage.

I want to fight in Minnesota (August 9),” said Sherk.

August 8th represents the UFC’s first trip to Sherk’s home state of Minnesota for UFC 87. With a loaded card already set, it would seem difficult to find a spot for Sherk. However, the UFC has never been shy about putting hometown fighters on the card when the show is local.

And taking a look at the rumored line-up, there is an intriguing opponent available. Frankie Edgar is scheduled to appear on the show. Currently, his opponent is still the unpredictable TBA. Wouldn’t an Edgar vs. Sherk matchup be a very interesting addition?

• slimm says:

Sean fight after two months of recovery sure why not….. its in his home area up against Edgar though idk i wouldnt be that excited for that fight personally… but hell whynot let Edgar or whomever in August…. to they test for steroids in his home state? haha i know they do just being a dick i guess cheers…

• RT says:

That fight would kick ass. I hope they do it.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Would look a lot like Maynard v. Edgar but I guess after Sherk scores himself a decision win it will convince Edgar to visit the WEC’s 145 lbs. division.

• koolpaw says:

i was wondering the same thing. Fighting in own home town must have special meaning for any fighters. plus UFC can sell more tickets without doubt.

all depend on Sherk`s condution and Frank Edgar`s decision though. we will see.

• DPK says:

Would be good fight, and line him up to fight the winner of Florian/Huerta when Penn vacates the belt.

If Edgar can make the cut, 145 is probably in his future. Maynard beat him at his own game (wrestling), and I imagine that Sherk would beat him even more convincingly.

I wish UFC would bring in the 145lbs and 135lbs weight classes, and use WEC as a minor leagues to develop fighters not quite ready for UFC, or guys looking for a second chance.

• Kelvin says:

I’d watch that fight….Sherk wins that one IMO.

• Patrick says:

DPK… I don’t think Penn is going to vacate his belt. Especially not before he destroys Florian or Huerta.

• DPK says:

I hope Penn doesn’t vacate the belt, but if he wants to go fight GSP and Hughes at 170, then someone is going to be the champ at 155