5 Oz. of Pain on CBS Sports: Defending Affliction

bigfist3.jpg

For my CBS Sports column last week, I did an op/ed piece on some strong feelings I have about those that have been focusing more on Affliction’s business model in MMA as opposed to the quality of the first card they have put together.

You can check it out right now by clicking here.

See what I have to say about the cynics out there who are failing to see that Affliction’s lineup for its debut show on July 19 is one of the deepest cards in recent memory.

Heavyweights Josh Barnett and Ben Rothwell both went on the record as well to give their thoughts on the topic.

• Patrick says:

I agree the card is great… however bringing up the point of “how in the hell are they going to pay for all of this without an established history of running MMA shows”? They don’t seem to have the big deal sponsors, they don’t have a lot of access to the very “casual” fan, they don’t have the marketing for it (have yet to see Affliction put anything on t.v., and they’re relying almost exclusively through very very specific and unique modes of communication to their customer, they don’t have a broad range.

Again, great card, but it’s fair to point out that they are pouring a lot of money down here and it can potentially ruin them. Using all of their best talent on the first show (their only talent actually) is going to make future cards way more difficult.

• bjjdenver says:

“Using all of their best talent on the first show (their only talent actually) is going to make future cards way more difficult.”

I respectfully disagree. They need to get these guys exposure for future shows. And let’s face it, they are not putting the best match ups on this card.

I’m sure they will sign more talent and they can do better fights.

Randy/Fedor–you know they are counting on this being big for them.
    Josh/Fedor–long awaited fight
    AA/Aleks
    Babalu/Lil’ Nog

and there are many lighter weight fighters out there with non-exclusive contract/co-promotion/free agents.

Atencio has stated that he doen’t expect to make money right away. Imo, the question is “how long are they willing to lose money, counting on future success?”.

I think they NEED to get a decent TV deal and I’m sure they are rooting for EXC on Saturday.

• egad81 says:

As i see it this a step in the right direction. A promotion putting on a good show for the fans and not just to line their wallets.

If the UFC did $3.7 million at the gate…. What do you think it cost to put on their last show?
    Not to mention the MILLIONS of people that watched that PPV at $45 a pop.
    Then add in all the SPONSORS and Advertising.

The Affliction card is by far the BEST Heavy weight card in the last 5.
    I bet they will be fine and if the show is a hit…. They will have all the fighters they can handle.

Affliciton also has a HUGE clothing brand that is worth a few mill.

ELITEXC and AFFLICTION are the new school big boys! Watch out!

• Ian says:

I’m right there with you Sam, and at the end of the day, the bottom line is, who cares what they are spending. Unless they’re robbing you or your grandma to pay off Fedor for arm barring Sylvia in less than a round, why are you so concerned with what they are paying their fighters.

I’ll tell you why Dana is concerned, and why his corresponding internet parrots are taking issue with the amount of pay.

It scares him. If you don’t think he’s worried about losing more top tier talent to large paydays from a company like Affliction, you’re high or delusional. Or both.

Also, people like me, who would never in a million years by an Affliction product if not for this card, will actually buy the least hideous item in their collection.

I might wrap it up as a present for a less desirable relative. But that’s beside the point.

• Zack says:

I like to have my cake and eat it too – I think the card looks incredible and I also like to laugh at Affliction’s business model. It’s double your fun for the price of one.

• Bad Monkey says:

Why did my comment get deleted?? No sense of humor or what??

• Mike Wolfe says:

They should run in a promotion in which any fan who gets an entire Affliction shirt tattooed onto his/her body gets free tickets.

• Kogepan says:

yeh, I don’t really care if the multi-millionaire owners of Affliction lose money on this fight. I’d rather give them $50 for the PPV than for one of their crummy tshirts.

And actually, I don’t really think they will lose any money at all.

Fighter Payroll : ~7 million, according to the rumors
    Arena rental: unknown
    marketing: unknown

less:

Live gate : ~3.5 million, if they can match UFC 8.4
    PPV: 200,000 buys at $50 = ~10,000,000 assuming they sell 1/3 as many buys as the most popular UFC events
    Affliction TV shirt sales = Unknown

So really, I don’t think they lose that much money. The fertittas make money hand over fist by grossing $25+ million on a PPV show and paying less than $2 million to the fighters.

• Kuch says:

The reason people talk about the business model is because they really want to see another organization create competition and not just a proverbial flash in a pan. People want a reason to believe Affliction might be around for a second or third show. Sure, they’ll enjoy it for as long as it lasts, but what would be the point of getting their hopes up for future bouts/battles when the whole thing only lasts for one show?