EliteXC Press Conference Recap

EliteXC held a conference call today for the media. Featured guests were EliteXC promoter Gary Shaw, headliners Kimbo Slice and James Thompson, as well as Kimbo’s trainer and MMA legend Bas Rutten.

By far the most entertaining bit came at the beginning of the call. A reporter asked about Dana White’s comments that BJ Penn would “destroy” Kimbo in a fight.

Gary Shaw: Dana White is a jerkoff. That’s what Dana White is, a fucking idiot, and you can quote me on that. If he cared about mixed martial arts and the sport instead of caring about his big ass swimming pool and his own personal gains, he’d understand that statements like that make someone into a jerk. First of all, I love BJ Penn and he is a friend of mine. Kimbo Slice, one shot, would knock BJ Penn out, a 155 pounder. But they are never going to fight, it is an idiotic statement from a complete idiot… Dana White’s an idiot. And if he wasn’t an idiot, May 31 would have been the UFC instead of EliteXC. I rest my case.

Kimbo Slice: You know, it’s a free country and everyone can have their own opinion.

Also of interest was Gary Shaw’s feelings on co-promoting with Affliction as well as the status of an EliteXC heavyweight title and who is in the title picture.

Gary Shaw: Would I work on them in a fight? Yes. I would work with them in a fight. Will I let fighters wear Affliction clothing on our telecast? No. I don’t allow them to wear competitors’ clothing on our telecast. Would I work with Affliction in a co-promotion? Yes.

Right now we’re close to doing a heavyweight title. We’ll probably do a heavyweight title in 2008. Kimbo’s there, James Thompson’s there, obviously (Antonio) Silva is right there at the top.

Thompson also shared his biggest concerns in fighting Kimbo.

Thompson: The beard. I don’t want to get that awful beard rash. No, honestly, he’s a fantastic stand up fighter. I’ve got holes in my stand up defense. I’ve got to make sure I’m tight. I don’t want to go a three round standing war with Kimbo. Eventually I want to get it to the ground.

As did Kimbo about Thompson… he doesn’t have a concern.

Thompson stopped training at Xtreme Couture and is now training in London because “The problem was Shawn Tompkins was a coach and had done a lot of work with Bas and Kimbo. I had done a lot of work with Shawn. I didn’t want to put him in such an awkward position.”

Other than that, there were a few more Kimbo tidbits and not much else. Kimbo wants to fight for the boxing heavyweight championship one day. Gary Shaw believes Kimbo has a soft, gentle side that makes him a good babysitter. Kimbo refrains from drugs, alcohol, smoking, and sex while he is training for a fight (which gets one thinking… Kimbo should probably only babysit when he’s preparing for a fight).

• Jye says:

I’d take BJ if the two ever had a fight

• Patrick says:

Ya know… I think B.J. would take Kimbo. I don’t think Kimbo could hit B.J., B.J would get a take down one way or another and just destroy Kimbo on the ground.

Honestly think that Dana is right in that Kimbo would lose a fight to B.J., hell… If B.J. went more than 1 round with Kimbo, Kimbo’d be gassed and falling over anyhow.

• Vern says:

Huckaby could beat Kimbo. I have zero doubt in my mind.

• Cobra Kai says:

“Kimbo refrains from drugs, alcohol, smoking, and sex while he is training for a fight (which gets one thinking… Kimbo should probably only babysit when he’s preparing for a fight).”

that is hilarious. I like this guy.

• Caleb Newby says:

I’m with ya Jye and Patrick. Vern, I respectfully disagree.

• Venom says:

How can anyone believe that BJ would beat Kimbo? I Love BJ and have the utmost respect for him and his MMA abilities, but you really think he can beat, even take down a 250-pounder. Come on, guys! Have some sense! Kimbo is definitely a raw talent that needs ALOT of work on his MMA game, but he’s no stranger to fighting. But to say that he would lose, even be embarrassed by BJ is just ludicrous!!!! That’s like saying Uriah Faber could beat Fedor! WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!!!

• necrodeath77 says:

Are u guys complete frekin morons? Or just half-wits? I will say what i’m about to say with all due respect to bj penn, and what he has done for mma, but if kimbo landed just 1 square jab to bj, the fight would be over. Say what u want but its just comes down to the sheer force and physics of the blow taken. Sure bj could evade kimbo at the start of the fight and/or try different submissions but I’m just saying if kimbo landed 1 decent punch throught the entire fight, it would be lights out for Penn. Not a steller knockout punch even. Thats all it would take. However this will never happen and its pointless talking about it any further.

• Donk says:

If Penn can take Machida to a decision there is no way Kimbo would go through him. Penn by total domination.

• Kelvin says:

Dana White>Gary Shaw

• mike wolfe says:

Ok, let’s hear it. Every day somebody posts some serious smack about Dana’s statements and how tactless they are. The same people need to step up and say the same thing about that fool Shaw or STUF, permanently.

• mike wolfe says:

Er, forget what I just said. What I really meant to say was STFU. As you were.

• Jye says:

Comparing Kimbo and Fedor is a joke man, sorry but Kimbo has not been tested at the highest level while BJ has. If a fight between the two even remotely touched the ground then it would be all over. And there’s no reason to suggest that Kimbo would demolish BJ on his feet, jesus all Kimbo has done is pretty much knock out Tank and all of a sudden people think he’s this incredible standup fighter.

• Jye says:

Put it this way, can we all agree that St-Pierre would demolish Kimbo?

• Jye says:

And by the way, all the UFC haters that are into EliteXC now, remember that Gary Shaw has stated that he one day wants Kimbo to compete in boxing for the Heavyweight title, how can you support this guy or his company when it’s obvious that he’s just into MMA for the money and once he builds up his main star he’s gonna convert him into a boxer. Could you ever see Dana doing something like this???………. Probably not hey

• DPK says:

I can’t wait to see the Elite XC heavyweight rankings… seriously that is a joke. Affliction has all the best heavyweight division in the sport right now and they haven’t even put on a show yet. UFC is close behind and seems to be signing all the top young prospects, nobody would care who was the Elite XC champ, it would be as worthless as most of the alphabet soup titles Gary Shaw helps promote in boxing.

• the one says:

dana sucks

• Procannonfodder says:

Dana White=Success
    Gary Shaw=Retread boxing promoter

• Bad Monkey says:

Shaw is just a fatter, whiter version of Don King without the cool hair. Dana, for any shortcomings, genuinely loves MMA and wants to put on good fights. Shaw’s just in it for the $$$$.

His golden Gina is gonna get smashed by Caitlin Young on the 31st as well. Oh well, back to American Gladiators.

• JohnnyRev says:

Kimbo would get owned by BJ. Period. Penn by my accounts has never even been stumbled by a shot . He fought Ryoto and took several shots right to the chin and never even flinched. Kimbo better think about boxing cause he is not going to beat a legit heavy MMA fighter

• JacRabbit says:

I’m def. not an expert on Lyoto, but in the few fights of his that I have watched, he just doesnt seem to exhibit much knockout power. Karate focuses more on timing–hence Lyoto’s excellent timing and evasive abilities.

Anyhow… I’m a BJ fan like the rest, but if a fight took place at their current weights (BJ didn’t fight Lyoto at 155), logically you’d have to give the 1up to Kimbo. BJ is sick, but not super human… the physics just don’t work in his favor. All Kimbo would need to do is perfect the sprawl, and there wouldn’t be much BJ could do other than tire Kimbo out.

• Michaelthebox says:

Shaw is such a hypocritical tool. Regardless what you think of Dana, Shaw doesn’t deserve half the respect Dana deserves.

• Simon Cason says:

Kimbo is the worst thing to happen to mma since Gary Shaw stuck his grubby fat fingers in the mix. If he is as good as Bas and Fatty Shaw say’s he is, then why is he not fighting Bigfoot Silva? Because Fatty Shaw sees in Kimbo his meal ticket to the fame and recognition that he never got while he was a low level boxing promoter. Im sick of Fatty Shaw trying to justify this expose Kimbo is getting by saying he can beat anyone you put up against him. If that was the case then Fatty would have set up Sean Gannon for Kimbo’s first couple of fights instead of the 2 chumps he’s fought so far. BTW, I know im not the only one who saw 2or3 phantom punches thrown by Kimbo against Bo Cantreal. If this is the route Fatty Shaw is going to take, then by the time EXC is on cable T.V., everyone of the people watching on that night will see a show that is simular to pro-wrestling. A little bit of overacting and alot of fake fighting. This is not good for the sport of MMA, nor is it good for the true, hardcore, original fans of MMA. Im sick of it and so should you. Where Is The Outrage?

• lates says:

It is funny to read, uninformed posts by supposed MMA fans. Talking about the physics of Kimbo punching Penn, etc.. If you new anything about the history of MMA. Royce Gracie at around 185lbs was destroying fighters 70 to 100 lbs more than him through technique and skill. Two aspects of fighting that Kimbo has yet to show, fighting a couple of cans! Kimbo is a joke until he defeats someone with talent in MMA. Gary Shaw has no intention of that happening. I don’t understand how Bas let’s Kimbo continue to fight these cans.