UFC video game gets vague release date

UPDATE: click for Sam Caplan’s preview of UFC 2009 Undisputed

Publisher THQ has spoken on a planned release date for the UFC video game according to Gamespot.

the publisher also addressed today the Ultimate Fighting Championship game, which has kept an exceptionally low profile since the 2007 E3 Media and Business Summit. That project will now see release in spring of 2009

While the game was originally rumored for 2009 atleast it won’t be in the fall. While that date feels like an awfully long time away, you can see they’re not rushing it out the door unfinished and in a perfect world means they’ll perfect a game engine. Hopefully as the release date draws near we continue to get snippets from the game to wet our appetites.

The MMA world was buzzing after seeing clips from the E3 electronics summit last year featuring Quinton “Rampage” Jackson against Chuck Liddell with next gen graphics.

HT: mmamania

• Dave says:

2009? thought it was a spring 2008 release? I guess that has passed us though. That is a long time away..

• Gong says:

It’s not entirely surprising to get release dates like that. And since we’re such a long while to actually getting the game, I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets pushed back.

Heh. Optimism just isn’t a concept with videogames and release dates.

• Fight Fan says:

Any Idea if its PS3, XBox, PC or all of them?.
    The game looks good but it’s the game play that will be the clincher. The transition from stand up to clinch to take down to ground game is very tricky to get right and the old Pride and UFC games didn’t quite have it perfect in my opinion. So fingers crossed.
    P.S. I hope in character creation they don’t have a Kimbo beard.

• Grape Knee High says:

I refuse to get excited about this game until they release some clips of Sean Sherk and his world famous, pitty-pat rabbit punches from full mount.

• Joe says:

I just hope that in character creation you can have some of this features:
    1.- Half-chest shave. (Kimbo)
    2.- Golden teeth. (Kimbo)
    3.- The moonwalker move (for a certain canadian fighter)
    4.- The ‘roid pump, for characters that resemble to Sherk. This allows the body of the character to go tu super human size in just a day. However, it does not improve its performance, since it will still lay and pray only.

• Derek B. says:

Well with all of the cuts going on. I’m sure the UFC isn’t wanting to put cut fighters in their game.

• Bad Monkey says:

Maybe they’ll can a have a special feature for Tito and Dana to get in the Octagon. Although one round would be trash talk only.

• ctownhood says:

I hope there’s a cheat code that allows you to fight as Kalib Starnes in a track outfit

• sven says:

I’m glad they are taking their time.

That original Spring 08 release date never had a chance in the first place. Building a game like this from scratch on a next gen system takes longer than a year if you want it to be anything more than a buggy POS. Also outside of yearly franchises like Madden or crappy movie licenses game never come out on their initial release date. They almost always get pushed back a little. This one just happens to have been pushed back twice now. But like I said I’m glad they are taking their time.

• Rich S. says:

to #3,
    i believe it’s PS3, and 360..

and i read about a month or two ago that they were going to release more info at UFC 84.. idk.. apparently they’ve already released the info.. but.. they may have some type of gameplay video or more screens or clips..

who knows.

• bjjdenver says:

Considering today’s mma climate, they need to take a cue from Madden and have a promoter mode. You can start your own org, lure fighters away and be crushed by Dana. Also how about a Dana White exhibition boxing feature?

• mo says:

first let me start by saying i know nothing about making video games. but i mean seriously, they have been talking about this game for at least a year now, so what in the world are they doing. I have to imagine the game took some precedent because it should sell well (i bought an XBOX 360 6 months ago for the sole purpose of playing this game), so why would it take a couple of years to create?

• bjjdenver says:

And damn, wouldn’t this be a great game fo the Wii?? lol, kids everywhere getting messed up in their living rooms!

• pr0cs says:

#12 – games take a long time to develop, especially good ones. MMA is going to be exceedingly difficult to develop a game for because there are so many ways to win and making a fun and intuitive game that covers the major points of MMA has got to be really difficult. add in scheduling fighters to come in for consulting and motion capture, etc. adds in time.. THQ is not a big company either so their development team likely isn’t all that big so a lot of work for a few guys means a long schedule.

• mo says:

#14 – thank you. As long as this time frame makes sense, then i need to change my expectations. i honeslty figured they would take some things from other games (their wrestling games or whatever), tweak it a bit and go from there. but i will curb my expectations and go from there.

on a side note, i heard that EA Sports recently expressed interest in making an MMA game. Obviously they can’t use the UFC roster, but i believe they were interested in possibly other promotions. We may get Randy vs. Fedor yet. and i have to think EliteXC can probably score a video game at some point, so they may join up with EA Sports. hopefuly this comes true

• Fight Fan says:

As long as it comes out on PC or playstation I’ll be happy. I’m hanging out for MK8, Soul Calibur and Tekken also but even in those games I just want it to be more like MMA.

• Tenchu says:

C,mon Dana get off your ass, and get this game OUT! your losing money by the day!

• mmanutt says:

I’ve been waiting for an mma game for sometime now. I’m gonna be pretty pumped when I’m in control of Anderson Silva knockin’ chumps out left and right. Just sucks I have to wait till next spring.

• Kelly says:

Will this be out for PSP or PS2???

• JKR says:

It will be out for PS3 & 360 4 Shure !! watch the new UFC dvd’s special features it shows the scanning of fighters.. i can wait as long as it takes for this game people said SHERK VS PENN they will announce everything it was BS ! i do know mark lamon is workin with THQ on the ground fighting in the game so it should be up to snuff !! i know Wanderlei,Liddell,rampage,griffin,stevenson,anderson silva,brock lesnar,bisbing,hughes,minataro an mark lamon all will be in the game 95 % Shure . i know it will be a kickass game the old ufc games sucked where wicked easy but that wasnt THQ the pride game witch is the BEST MMA to date is a THQ product and that was years ago so i know IT IS WORTH THE TIME we wait for the game cuz it will out sell GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 or any other game due to UFC Being the LARGEST & FASTEST growin sport ever !! WATCH AND SEE IT WILL BE JUST AS GREAT AS WE ALL EXEPECT !JKR FROM MAINE ~ p.s. i hate couture & silvia there chumps cant hang with the TOP DOGS ufc will get FEDOR its a matter of time !! thats probly one of the reason’s thq and everyone is takin there time they dont want to put it out an miss havin a new superstar not on it !

• tapthat says:

I have found a release date for this, its out on ps3 and xbox360 and its released on friday 27th February 2009.

• Kelly says:

So no PSP or PS2

• Kelly says:

NO PSP or PS2

• dubs says:

im only 14 but i love mma me and my brother who is 23 watch it all the time every season of ultimate fighter, he orders every ppv, and we watch it on spike like every night. cant wait for this game cause the old one sudden impact was the gayest thing ever

• poopsicle says:

this game is amazing, i’ve already had wet dreams about it, can’t wait, OHHHHHH YEEEEEAHHHHHHH

• Im really really really happy this game is coming out. I love mma.I hope this game is in as deep detail as you can get it. It doesnt matter to me or my 100 friends how long it takes for the game to come out because I really want them to take all the time they need to make this game as perfect and deeply detailed as they can get it.I hope every fighters fighting style isnt the same.I hope they all dont have spartan 300 abs because all the mma fighters (while you cant doubt their skills) are not all chiseled.mma is a very very very very great and wonderful,technical,and deeply detailed sport with lots of transitions intelligence and things which is why I literally pray every night that this game is above and beyond because you have know idea how good I [need]this game to be.I hope that when you are playing the game like say you are playing with tyson griffon vs clay guida that the two people who are playing with them have to actually understand mma and wrestling ( because griffon and guida both have wrestling backgrounds) to come out the winner. I hope the players actually have to play with serious fight strategies to win.I pray pray pray pray that the fighters are how they really are.Like matt hughes is really strong and can slam you real easy where if you played with say karo paryisan he cant slam people nowhere near like matt can but his strength is in his good judo throws and stuff .iUI hope you make it to where say someones playing with hughes vs a less talented fighter and matt gets deep in a takedown he pretty much gets it because we all know that usually when matt is deep in a takedown hes got it because of his outstanding wrestling background. thanks for listening and heres to the greatest fighting game ever.!!!!!!

• Tough Guy! says:

I can’t wait for this game to come out. I have been trying to get an actual release date for months. I am actually losing patience. I wish someone would send me a way to contact someone who could get me a copy early. For now I’m anticipating the Feb. 27th release date. If any longer than that I may have to find Dana White and Tap his ass out until I get my copy. I think everyone is so hyped for this release! I believe if they wait too long though it will lose the excitement. The fans deserve for them to get on it and have it ready for us A.S.A.P.! So THQ and Mr. White…We understand and appreciate the hard work you are putting into the game. But for God’s sake just release the game. It won’t and can’t be perfect. And I’m sure you will have a chance to make several future versions. Please, just let us play it! I can’t wait any longer!