LeVon Maynard signs to fight Doug Gordon at Ring of Combat this Friday; 5 Oz. of Pain renews sponsorship

m_88f5474125cb346e11bcd2f85ad2f1d7.jpg5 Oz. of Pain featured MMA welterweight prospect LeVon Maynard has agreed to face Doug Gordon this Friday (May 9) during Ring of Combat XIX in Atlantic City, N.J. at the Tropicana Hotel and Casino.

5 Oz. is also pleased to announce that it has renewed its sponsorship of Maynard.

Maynard, who was 8-1 as an amateur, improved his pro record to 2-0 this past February when he submitted Jay R. Palmer with an armbar at 2:35 of round 1 during Combat Sports Challenge 23.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com was first introduced to Maynard while covering the IFL Draft tryouts in New York this past October. Maynard put on an outstanding display of grappling and striking skills en route to earning a berth on the league’s final list of draft-eligible fighters.

This website has shown a commitment towards providing exposure for young and up and coming MMA prospects since its inception. The decision to sponsor Maynard is an extension of that commitment. As a part of the agreement, Maynard will wear a 5 Oz. t-shirt during his cage-walk entrance.

Ring of Combat XIX is scheduled to be headlined by a USKBA middleweight title match between Nick Catone of Ricardo Almeida’s Jit-Jitsu Academy and Brett Linebarger of Daddis Fight Camps.

For more information on LeVon Maynard, you can click here to read about him in our MMA prospects section. You can also read our full bio on LeVon by clicking here.

• Derek B. says:

good luck LeVon!

• Rich S. says:

i second that!!
    get another a quick one!!

• Reaser says:

I like it…

Plus fighters like him is what the prospects section should be about, instead there are too many guys that everyone knows on there, and they aren’t prospects.

but I like the sponsorship, keep up the good work guys…

• Sam Caplan says:

Reaser, just because YOU know all the guys in the section doesn’t mean EVERYONE does.

• Jay K. says:

Good Luck LeVon!! Hey, regarding those Hooters Chicks, I still got your back, I’ll protect them for ya!

😀

Jay K.

• Adam Morgan says:

Good luck, LeVon!

• Reaser says:

Sam, didn’t mean to put it like that, but I like the old prospects section where the rule was, if they are in UFC they can’t be on the prospect list because they “made it.”

Again, I’de rather see guys on the list that are doing awesome in smaller shows, like local shows, instead of guys you see fighting on Showtime, Spike TV, PPV, soon to be CBS, etc…or guys who fight in the major Japan shows…if you watch MMA then you know most if not all of these “prospects.”

It comes down to what you think a prospect is, it’d have been like saying Adrian Peterson was a prospect still after his first half of the season in the NFL last year. Or like A-Rod, after his rookie year was he still a prospect? He was a prospect before made it to the majors, etc….After your in the “big leagues” then your aren’t really a prospect anymore, in some cases, yes I can see it, but for the most part prospect means you’re on your way to the major leagues/top organization/etc…Not that you’re already there and somehow still a prospect??

This article/column here, this is about a prospect and I like it and wish to see more of it is all I’m really saying. Jacare, and about 80% of the list aren’t prospects to me, but that’s just me I guess…

• Brent says:

Good luck to Brett Linebarger!

• Brian M. says:

Doug Gordon is a monster…did you forget he kicked Gregor Gracies head off on the last ROC Card. Its not gonna be so easy for your boy LeVon. GO GORDON!!!

• Dan says:

One head kick makes you a monster????

No doubt Gordon is a beast, but I hope he knows what he’s getting into when he fights Maynard. LeVon’s a beast and, without a doubt, his conditioning is easily going to be able to handle these 4 minute rounds.

I’m picking Maynard by TKO. (or K.O. or sub, or anything he wants)

WAR LEVON!!!!!

• Dan says:

Any update?

• Brian M. says:

if you didnt know already…Gordon left hook, uppercut, left hook, right hook…good night 2:15 1st rd KO

• Todd F. says:

Levon looked a bit intimidated and out of his element. Good luck next time.

Doug Gordon showed why he is such a great MMA fighter – Nice take down and very nice stand-up! Congratulations.

• Chekosa says:

• LeVon says:

Doug is a hell of a fighter. He had some very nice standup and smooth combinations. I definitely felt out of my element before the fight. I didn’t have the proper mind set going into the fight. This was my first MMA fight outside of Virginia, fighting at a catch weight, and in my opponent’s home area. I am use to feeling the excitement of the audience’s cheers as I go into the ring as it pumps me up for the match. But as I walked into the ring it was quiet and uninspiring. It didn’t feel right from the get go.

During the match Doug threw a punch that skimmed across my right eye and sent my contact flying to the mat (The ref even saw the contact and leaned over to pick it up during the match). At this time my sight was blurry and my eye was unfocused because it felt like I basically got poked in the eye with his glove. I tried to play it off like it didn’t affect me but it did and it was very distracting. I couldn’t see straight with my right eye. After a few moments I couldn’t stand it and had to blink hard in my right eye to try to take care of the blurriness. I soon as I did Doug seemed to noticed and took the opportunity to rush in with a good combination and ended up landing two shots, one being a nice uppercut that made my legs buckle. I feel to the ground on my hands and knees and attempted to reach for Doug’s right leg but the ref rushed in (before I even landed) and stopped the fight (TKO). I thought the fight was stopped early but its not like I can do anything about it. The ref was doing it for my safety so I can’t be angry with him. I was never knocked out and as many of you MMA fans know many fighters make a strong comeback after being dropped on the mat (Just watch Big Nogs last two fights lol) but I wasn’t given that opportunity. Almost instantly after the knockdown my mind was focused and ready to continue. After the fight I had virtually no physical damage. You wouldn’t even think I was in a fight if you saw me.

After the fight I got a chance to talk with Doug and his coach Jeff Mitchell. I didn’t even say the word and both of them told me that they would like to set up a rematch sometime soon at the regular 170lbs weight limit. They said they appreciated that I took this fight on short notice at a heavier weight as a replacement for his original opponent. By the way they spoke with me it seemed that they were not happy getting a victory as it was set up.

I learned a great deal from this fight…I don’t like to lose and this fight has made me even more determined than ever. My spirit has grown stronger and I feel bad for the next person that I fight in the ring or cage. My agent is working to set me up with a fight in New Jersey at Battle Cage Extreme on July 12th. We have been talking and it is very possible that in the very near future I will be rematching Doug Gordon and I can guarantee you that the results of that match will be completely different. Stay tuned for “MaYnMan’s Revenge”. ;p

• Chris B says:

“This might have been a different story if LeVon’s contact lens didn’t popped out during the match.

But hey a win is a win right? However, many are yet to be convinced that Gordon is a better fighter than Maynard, including Gordon himself and his camp. It is no wonder that despite the win, the Gordon camp is eager to express their intention to set up a rematch…or maybe Gordon is just faking, just as he fake his being Puerto Rican.”

Nice!! Make a personal attack on someone who just whipped your boys ass. Maynard looked scared and he should have been. He would be wise to steer clear of a rematch as he might get dropped even quicker. There is no shame in losing to Gordon as he was, is and will continue to be the better fighter!
    Oh, your right—directly after the fight; Doug and his camp convened to discuss how lucky he was to win a fight against such a superior fighter (in 2:15 of the first round after pushing him around the ring like a little b!tch)

• Chekosa says:

Chris B,

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get your panties all up in a bunch.

• Mr. Nice Guy says:

Dang Chris B. you are like school in the summer time…no class. By the way you put down LeVon and his fight with Doug I am willing to put down money that you have never even stepped foot in a MMA fight. There are many top fighters who have had a bad night and lost whether or not people think he/she is a better fighter (I think GSP recently proved that with his rematch with Matt Serra). LeVon by no means looked scared but just out of his element during his match. His hands did not fly as much as I have seen in his previous fights. I know LeVon will comeback even stronger than before. I would love to see a rematch between him and Doug. I know the true “MaYnMaN” has the potential to out work any top level welterweight out there. He is truely a well rounded fighter. Go get ’em LeVon!!!

• Mr. Nice Guy says:

Dang Chris B. you are like school in the summer time…no class. By the way you conduct yourself and put down LeVon and his fight with Doug I am willing to put down money that you have never even stepped foot in a MMA fight. There are many top fighters who have had a bad night and lost whether or not people think he/she is a better fighter (I think GSP recently proved that with his rematch with Matt Serra). LeVon by no means looked scared but just out of his element during his match. His hands did not fly as much as I have seen in his previous fights. I know LeVon will comeback even stronger than before. I would love to see a rematch between him and Doug. I know the true “MaYnMaN” has the potential to out work any top level welterweight out there. He is truely a well rounded fighter. Go get ’em LeVon!!!

• Chris B says:

Mr. Nice Guy,
    Maybe you should preach to Chekosa about class and losing with dignity instead of making excuses and attacking the other fighter personally. He appears to represent himself as part of Levon’s entourage considering he is privy to such backstage information. I hope Levon bounces back and I am sure he will as he appears to be an excellent athlete. Doug took the fight to him and Levon never landed a hand on him. I don’t know what your definition of dominating a fight is? Lets just agree to disagree.

• Mr. Nice Guy says:

Chris B.

I am not part of LeVon’s entourage but I did get a chance to meet him at a a MMA show awhile back and I can say that he is truely a class act. He doesn’t give excuses for making a mistake nor does he show any disrespect to his opponents. He is truely one of the humblest and nicest guys (let alone MMA fighters) I have had a chance to meet. I believe his attitude and personality exemplify what a MMA fighter should portray themselves as. I do agree that Chekosa could have been more tactful in her comment but I do feel the same way about your comment. It is obvious that both of you are really close to your fighters to defend them in such a manner. But I think your comment went a little too far. Calling LeVon a “little b!tch” or portraying him as a inferior fighter is not what this sport is all about. These fighters put everything on the line in the ring/cage to follow their dreams to make it a living. It takes a lot of heart to put yourself in a ring in front of 1000+ people (often times friends, family, and loved ones) to fight against a person you have never meet before. Not knowing whether or not you could leave the fight seriously injured or disappointing people you care about after not winning the match plays on your mind and it takes a lot of courage to get your butt in there and fight to the best of your ability. I know that feeling because I have fought many times and I think that is why your comment struck a cord with me more than Chekosa’s.

I am by no means a LeVon fanatic and I just call them as I see them. I had the chance to watch this fight very closely and Gordon definitely looked good in the fight but I would not say he dominated it. The only real solid shot he landed was the uppercut that ended the fight. The shot was well placed and appeared to catch LeVon on the chin or jaw right between his guard. I did think the fight was stopped rather quickly and I question the ref standing the fight up fairly quick while LeVon was working submission off of his back halfway into the fight. But things like that happen all the time in MMA because it is so dynamic and anything can happen at any given time. Nobody expected Matt Serra to TKO GSP in their first meeting but after he did GSP regrouped, fought, and earned his title back in a rematch. I would not say either fighters were “scared b!tches or inferior fighters” it just was not their night to shine. Thanks for responding in a more encouraging manner and as you say let’s just agree to disagree…