No, Iron Ring does suck

I’m someone that constantly enjoys playing devil’s advocate and arguing with people. But not even I dare defend the utter trash that is Iron Ring. Kid Nate over at BE decided to try and defend the show but basically just said it’s good because it’s successful and has neat camera angles. Well neat flashy camera angles are the reason I can’t watch MTV anymore, I’m getting too old and last time I tried I had a seizure.

the same old whining from MMA fanboys who resent the success of Iron Ring

First of all it’s never good to start any type of opinion piece by stereotyping everyone that disagrees with you into a group lower than you as if to place yourself as superior.

No, I can’t just dislike Iron Ring for the obvious reasons or think it’s god awful, it’s because I’m an MMA fanboy and I deeply resent they’re doing well. I suppose I don’t watch Dancing with the Stars only because I’m a dancing fanboy and I resent their success. It’s not that it simply isn’t my demographic or I’m not a fan, no, there is an ulterior motive.

It can’t be because a majority of the owners and coaches make the show less watchable than one hosted by Kalib Starnes and Tim Sylvia. T.I., which I previously thought was a calculator, saying he “ain’t never been touched” wasn’t obnoxious at all. Especially considering 90% of people in a room with him at any given time could probably throw him through a window. No, I love self-indulgent nonsense, it’s my cup of tea. Stay tuned for BET’s next highly rated series, Iron Rook, where celeb coach T.I. will discuss how Bobby Fischer ain’t got nothing on him.

How about when the Japanese fighter was fighting the black fighter and you heard shouts of, “SEND HIM BACK TO JAPAN!” Where is their Emmy?

Make sure you don’t teach jiu-jitsu and instead point out punching to the head with a kung fu style works the best. Oh and make sure you laugh at the guys warming up because as they stated on the show, you don’t get no warm up for a street fight! Hmm, I thought that’s what all of the cursing and lurching forward like you’re going to hit someone was.

Final side note about Krazy Horse Bennett. At one point he rightfully pointed out he could take the rappers around him in a fight. When called out on it he surveyed the situation and said he was just kidding. I didn’t think a guy who has been arrested 60 times could lose street cred….

Look, watch the show if you want, it’s your prerogative. But don’t call me names because I feel it insults my sport and my intelligence.

• Jarrod says:

Amen! That show and most of the people on it are trash.

• Gabber says:

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Badass. 😛

Iron Ring sucks rocks hardcore. 😛

• CagePotato says:

Thank you for this.

• Gong says:

You’re officially my favourite writer on this site.

• Zantetzuken says:

Yeah its just a bunch of retarded f*uckers. I can’t stand the fact that the coaches are a bunch of nobodies anyway.

• Ian says:

Agree 100%.

I couldn’t believe what I was reading over there.

That show is complete garbage.

• Ross says:

Take it for what it is- street fighting under the guise of MMA. I look at it like a guilty pleasure.

• NealTaflinger says:

Ross, the last thing we all need is “street fighting under the guise of MMA.”

• Jay K. says:

T.I. will discuss how Bobby Fischer ain’t got nothing on him and then get checkmated by the now deceased Fischer in three moves.

//Fixed it for ya!

😀

• JacRabbit says:

They need an episode where the celebs fight. With the exception of Mayweather, I would assume the bunch wouldn’t fare very well.

On a side note, I actually liked T.I. before watching this. After hearing him shout random nonsense, he reminds me of what I acted like back in middle school and high school. Haven’t seen all 6 episodes yet, but I’m hoping Luda doesn’t let me down as well.

• Byron says:

Glad to see I’m not the only one who sees this as crap.

• Derek B. says:

the show is complete garbage if you ask me.

Why are they doing this mma style? It needs to be just strictly boxing because they don’t want to see a fight go to the ground.

• Fujin says:

That show is crap.

• Mike C. says:

The positive write ups haven’t been enough to make me tune in but this has assured I will stay away.

• JJ says:

Anyone know what’s up with Krazy Horse’s contract with EliteXC?

• Mike C. says:

As soon as he stays out of jail long enough to get a full training camp he will fight again.

• HexRei says:

@# 15
    According to Krazy, he’s never trained for a fight anyway 😉

• HexRei says:

@#11 I agree, the choice to make this an mma show is just an attempt to leap on the hype train. It’s clear that they think groundwork is for fags. They should make it a kickboxing show, maybe allow clinches and throws for points and damage but nothing on the ground.

• feffer says:

“street fighting under the guise of mma” IR is like a big breasted blonde stripping bimbo…they are fun for a wehile but never a long term answer.

• keenan says:

omg! terrible show and i was actually lookin forward to it, idiot!. show the fights and stop complaining when it hits the ground! and someone krazy horse or anyone else, punch out that tool ti pleeeeeease.

• Mike C. says:

Hex, I’ve heard him say that but it would have ruined my joke.

• Tazmaniac says:

You’re a 100% right about this one man.. it’s f’n bad for the sport

stupid sob’s running their mouth, trying to be ‘it’… :r

• GoofyMonkey says:

Does it suck?

Iron Ring – yes

Iron Man – no

• Reaser says:

Plus the classic ref in a dress saying “man up” before and during the fights. Also how anytime it goes to the ground everyone freaks out and says stand them up. Not to mention this is one of the most racist shows on one on those most racist TV channels of all time.

Not really sure what show your talking about though, I’ve never watched an Iron Ring but I’ve seen the Ion Wing a few times and its a crap show with a bunch of people who sing for a living acting like they are tough.

• Reaser says:

And did this Kid say that the Ion Wing is better than the IFL???

Last time I read anything he writes, that was a waste of time…

• Buddha says:

Kid Nate chose the wrong season to stop watching TUF, this season has been great so far.

• D says:

Iron Ring sucks! The whole “owner” concept sends shivers down my spine. Say what you will about TUF, but at least the (head) coaches are fellow fighters – they know what they’re talking about and the environment they’re fighting in.

• JacRabbit says:

I think Kid Nate makes some very valid points… but all-in-all, this sends the sport closer to WWE style antics, and further away from professional and tactical appeal of say boxing or Olympic wrestling. Great for filling execs pockets, not so great for the people who actually cared about the sport from the beginning.

• Rich S. says:

I EFFING HATE THE IRON RING!!!

it’s a disgrace to MMA.. bottom line..

i remember at the beginning.. all they would talk about was “getting the knockout”… oh, knock him out.. even if your a sub’ist.. knock him out..

these damn coaches don’t know what the hell they’re talking about.. and there’s nothing worse.. in this world.. than watching a fight.. and having to listen to Juelz Santana scream “Yeah, son! Yeah, son! He told me had to get out the hood!! Yeah Son! he told me he had to get out the hood! yeah son! he said he had to get out da hood!” I SWEAR ON MY LIFE.. IF THERE IS SOME SORT OF RECORD FOR MOST TIMES ONE THING WAS REPEATED IN A SENTENCE.. HE’S BROKEN IT LIKE.. 36 TIMES ON THAT SHOW!!

oh, and for the record:

“Rich S. Says:

March 17th, 2008 at 3:04 pm

why do i have the feeling BET’s gonna give MMA a bad rep…
    we’re gonna hear a bunch of:

“YEAAAAAA, SON!!!”

“AHHHHHH HELLLLL NAHHHH”

“WHAT NIGGA?? WHAT??”

totally called this happening.. on CAGEPOTATO.. a few days before the premier..

i’m good..

• NealTaflinger says:

What’s sad is that BET could have had intelligent, knowlegeable black coaches with a sense of style and class (Team Shonie vs. Team Din?) and had fights in a Contender-style arena with your celeb appearances by TI and Luda. But in classic BET fashion they figured shuckin’ and jivin’ would be the best way to go. Not only does BET cater to black America’s lowest common denominator (again), it wasted an opportunity to tap into a growing market segment.

• THORAZINE says:

# 25 Reaser Says:
    April 24th, 2008 at 3:50 pm
    “What about the show where we got 2 to 5 minutes of what Floyd was picking out to eat then watching him eat. Or when he said that all MMA fighters are amateur fighters because its an amateur fighting style…”

I haven’t watched this show, I wasn’t even aware of it until reading this blog… but if it has Floyd Mayweather? talking trash about MMA fighters… I could care less about this show, he’s a little piece of shit… any wrestler, could KO him after a quick takedown, no prob. Imagine what a fully trained MMA fighter could/would do to him…he’d be covering up, taping out… screaming”” stop! Stop! I would LMAO!

• orlando says:

Ill put it like this….i dont think its intented for the mma fan….honestly its intented on the people who havent really been too exposed to mma….as in that african american community….yeah its shown very rough, and tough and in your face, and who knows if any of those people will ever make it to a big show, but they are doing what they have to, to come up. Come on…im not a kimbo nuthugger, but in reality how many of you guys really thought he was going to do mma….he started training at my old gym along with charles mccarthy, and i saw him in and out of there but i didnt think much of it. In reality ive seen the show twice the best part was mayweather saying he could buy shonie carter with his credit card….man thats still funny to me. In all honesty like i said its showing it to a whole nother group of people who dont see it. This is a sport that they always say oooh white males from 18 to 36 watch it…yeah okay but what about eveyone else….whatever mma is going to become mainstream guys, and everyone is jumping in the pool right now, because not only is it starting to make money, but its also going to be on cbs in about a month….guys thats mainstream, and holy shit if fedor gets his 2 mill per fight everyones gonna start making crazy request….give it time though because he might be the one to start making fighters get paid million to fight….sooo whatever like i said the pool of mma is getting packed quick….its getting so you cant swim anymore….but everyone is seeing the sport…to me its beautiful because maybe this will help people grow in the sport, and learn thats not about the k.o……even though yeah thats what they are showing but people will learn quick that its more then that….give it times guys….not that show, but mma as a whole…hold on because its gonna be a longggg road, and yeah i do know my mma i train pro fighters, and whatever its all good…if you wanna see my product look up danny perez on youtube….take care guys.. yeah i know i got alot of run ons and no quotations but yeah just read my words…..put a comma where you want to…

• Zantetzuken says:

Stop beating around the bush, the show is full of, on a network full of, and intended for IGNORANT F*CK FACES!

• iron ring, isnt that on the food network.

• Reaser says:

#34, another site is saying your racist, haha….

Title of the blog post, “Are Iron Ring Haters Racist” and shows your post…

I still don’t know what this Iron Ring is, I know of an Ion Wing which is the most racist show on the most racist network…

• elclavo says:

the show blows almost as bad as mayweather does! he is an ignorant cocksucker!i wish Shonnie would have smoked his ass for his comments.FUCK FLOYD MAYWEATHER!

• knightrida says:

How about when right before the fight was about to start, the fighter was in his corner hoppin around, staying loose, and his corner told him to stop moving around cause he’ll lose all his energy? HAHAHA WTF! Call me crazy, but I think they do that in boxing too. And track, and basketball, etc… it’s called “warming up.”