UFC 85 fight card UPDATED

The UFC 85 fight card has been shuffled somewhat, with James Irvin replacing the injured Chuck Liddell (torn hamstring). The UK crowd is still in for a solid show on June 7th. Several fighters (Vera, Irvin, Swick, Leites, Tavares) can take a big step up the ladder with convincing victories.

Main Card

• Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin
  • Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves
  • Michal Bisping vs. Chris Leben
  • Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum
  • Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick
  • Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites
  • Martin Kampmann vs. Jorge Rivera
  • Ryo Chonan vs. Roan Carneiro
  • Luiz Cane vs. Jason Lambert
  • Thiago Tavares vs. Matt Wiman
  • Paul Taylor vs. Jess Liaudin
  • Antoni Hardonk vs. Neil Wain

Not all fights confirmed by UFC.com

Check out more UFC 85 content on Five Ounces of Pain.

• Evan says:

Still a solid card…just missing a headliner. Definitely should be a spikeTV card.

• Jim says:

Definitely a good card, but not a travel-outside-the-country worthy card. This is one of the few chances the company gets to make an impression on European soil, and they really need to deliver. I’d be surprised if they didn’t add something extra to the card.

• seth b says:

ESPN on ABC presents the triumphant return of Wide World of Sports featuring UFC 85!!

[sigh] A guy can dream, can’t he…

• Zack says:

Bisping v Leben is also rumored

• D says:

I can’t believe that they can’t move one of these fights from 84 to 85!

Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida
    OR
    Light Heavyweight bout: Wanderlei Silva vs. Keith Jardine

UFC 84 and 85 are only a couple of weeks apart.

• A.C Slater says:

I don’t know if I’d drop 45 bucks on this.

• Shaun says:

irivn is good but not on evan’s level yet, maybe never. only fight i want to see if davis versus swick.

85 isn’t a good card without liddell

• Danny says:

SILVA VS OKAMI!!!!!

• Zack says:

If you move any of the fights you end up pissing off the people that paid to see 84. Better to just patch together what you can in London.

• RustyNailz says:

I can’t see myself paying for this

• GoofyMonkey says:

Good idea “D”… That would defiantly make a full card.

• Mike C. says:

“Several fighters (Vera, Irvin, Swick, Leites, Tavares) can take a big step up the ladder with convincing victories.”

Swick will lose this fight and help Davis move into the spotlight. What does a win over Wiman do for Tavares? It is also a big fight for the winner of Kampmann-Rivera.

• ufcfan says:

ha ha i’ll rant and rave about not paying but i’m sure my ass will be
    on the couch, with a 44.95 charge 1 month later on my cable bill.

stupid mma addiction!

there are some solid fights and it only gets better with bisping/leben…
    i agree it should be on spike t.v.

silva/okami was a thought for me too…but okami broke his hand back at ufc 82 so i doubt he’d be in condition to fight.

they can’t move a fight from 84 cuz that sure would piss a lot of ppl who’ve already paid for their tickets

yes no title fights or major names but sometimes these cards can be pleasant surprises

• Davey D says:

The loss of Chuck Liddell does put a hit on the card but he can’t fight in his condition so I understand. I am interested in seeing Irvin vs. Rashad. I think Rashad will win, not sure how yet. The rest of the card looks good to me. The addition of Bisping vs. Leben would be outstanding.

I’ve been planning on going to a local bar called The Tap Room to watch this in the afternoon, which is always fun. Watching the UFC at 3:00 pm (EST) is a good time, if the card ends up being anything like UFC 81 was. I’ll go back at night to see it again.

• GirlyGirl says:

” i’ll rant and rave about not paying but i’m sure my ass will be
    on the couch, with a 44.95 charge 1 month later on my cable bill.”

not me…this is when i hit up my friend who has a dish and i get to see it for free!

the card just sucks now. it really should be free on spike.

• Chuck says:

leben will/would “handle” bisping … bisping is a guy who seems to like to strike … if he stands with leben, THE CRIPPLER will KHTFO !!!

i can’t see rashad “standing” with The Sandman … rashad will take irvin down and ride him to a decision … unfortunately, it will be boring

• Dan Uk says:

This is a solid card, no, it was when Chuck vs. Shogun was announced and I paid £140 plus for my seat, now we get this crap announced at the top of the card, there must be another main event cus right now I feel totally screwed out of my money.

• Jackyl says:

This card has some good matchups, no doubt. But this card has the potential to very lackluster. Coupled with a low buy rate due the usual broadcast time being tape delayed, this could expose the UFC as not being able to deliver the best events all the time. I’m sure this card would stack up against a high tier Elite XC card. If people notice that they can get similar quality elsewhere, they will go to it. I watch the UFC because they have the top fighters and usually the best matches. But I’m not paying for this one and I didn’t pay for Serra vs St Pierre. I would think anyone that paid for that was not too happy. The main event was a good draw but all the other matchups were….meh. Some decent fights but everything went about as we all thought it would.

• All undercard fights IMO! Not interested anymore, unless it’s on Spike for free.

• Nick says:

I agree with #1, a good card, but not pay per view worthy.

not too excited for the Irving vs Evans fight. I don’t see Irving pulling it off.

Bisping vs. Leben though, would be dynamite!!!!

• D says:

@9 — Even losing one of those fights, UFC 84 is still stacked and has a title fight with a lot of bad blood. Soukoudjou/Nakamura could even get moved up to the main card for the PPV.

• keenan says:

ya heard leben/bisping too

• screwface says:

im like 1 of 7 rashad fans and even i dont want to see this. hopefully dana comes to his senses and gets a bigger name in there for evans. im tired of evans fighting these nobodies. the only way hell get some respect is to take out one of the fanboy idols.

• seth b says:

There are seven of us now screwface??? When did we get the new members?

“the only way hell get some respect is to take out one of the fanboy idols.”
    I doubt even that would get him the respect he deserves, it would be passed off as a lucky punch, or lay and pray, or his opponent did not prepare (because how do you get motivated to fight Evans).

• Nick says:

Rashad Evans is the most boring fighter on the UFCs roster. The fact he was a main event at UFC 78 made me not buy that event, and I won’t buy this one either. He will take IRvin down and lay on him for 15 minutes. I have better things to do with my 15 minutes, like take a good shit. Thank god UFC 84 is fn awesome, make up for the snooze fest in june.

• BJJDenver says:

They will have to start pushing Werdum/Vera as the main event.

This is a very non-exciting looking card. Of course you never know, it may end up being very good.

84 will get my money directly. 85 will get it from a bar for sure.

I’m surprised UFC didn’t go for big names on a summertime card like this. There is so much else to do that I can see the casual fan bypassing it.

• Fight Fan says:

Don’t touch UFC 84.

• isnt chonan the last guy to legitamely beat spider silva?

• DG says:

WHAT HAPPENED TO SHAUN GAY?