Ecko Unltd to make MMA apparel push?

ecko1.jpgecko2.jpgThe Ecko Unlimited apparel company is the latest major brand to get involved in MMA. They recently rolled out a line a fight shorts (seen sporadically on some UFC fighters on the last few events) and Five Ounces of Pain also hears Ecko Unltd may be launching a full line of gear specific to MMA.

If you’re a fighter (or just want to look like one) you can snag yourself a pair of the newest ECKO fight shorts HERE.

This could be as big or bigger for MMA than the UFC/Budweiser adv deal – Ecko would by far become the biggest clothing wholesaler to specifically target mixed martial arts.

Before some of you start shouting, “what about TapouT?!?!” here’s a comparison:

• Marc Ecko Enterprises does over $500 million in sales a year;
  • TapouT brought in over $25 million in 2007 (up from $6 mill in 2006).

That’s like a candle in the sun – that shit don’t even out. We’ll keep you updated…

• Evan says:

I was just thinking…what MMA needs is another clothing company.

Sarcasm aside, this is a good thing thing.

• Ecko has been getting more and more involved with MMA … Ecko’s mag Complex features MMA articles regularly and they were also featured prominently during the M-1 Global press conference.

• Danny says:

Nice Jay-Z lyric at the end there Matt C. lol

• NealTaflinger says:

Douchebags everywhere are excited about having more options in their ugly “fight gear” collection.

• Matt C. says:

Interesting point Neal, but with a company like Ecko that runs several multi million dollar brands, would they produce “more ugly fight gear”.

If they roll out an MMA line, it may be something totally new to the space.

• Jesse says:

Saw a dude at a bar the other night, mohawk, affliction shirt, tapout shorts. I asked him where he trains at, he said, “train what?” I’m sure he’ll have Ecko MMA socks next week.

I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

• woooburn says:

they better not stray from the sacred skulls/angel wings/chain link fence trifecta. mma merchandising gold!

i’m holding out for the new mma line from skidz, personally.

• Evan says:

• BJJDenver says:

LOL @ “MMA SOCKS”!!

I’m a Sprawl guy all the way, but I promise I would buy Ecko any day as opposed to TapouT.

Now, we just have to wait and see how long before Ecko is promoting their own show, lol.

• BJJDenver says:

“MMA gear is appallingly hideous…it reminds me of 80’s metal shirts. But I definitely think Ecko will bring something easier to the eye. I am surprised Nike hasn’t hopped on board as you would think it would be a drop in the bucket for them to dip in their toes.”

For the most part I agree. That is one reason I stick to Sprawl (quality the other). I do like the Ecko stuff better than most for sure. Along with Nike, I’m surprised UnderArmor hasn’t jumped in to the mix. I think Nike is involved in some of the Japanese promotions, but only as sponsors.

• Josh says:

Awesome stuff. Ecko is known for quality

• Davey D says:

#7 woooburn, your part about waiting for Skidz MMA gear was effin’ hilarious. I could’ve died laughing ya’ know.

Personally, I’m waiting for USED to make it’s long awaited return and throw it’s hat into the MMA world. Fighter’s will look like they just got into an all out war backstage before they even hit the cage. Those would be some gnarly threads.

Anyways, I went to Champs at the mall the other day and seen their new TapouT wall and I gotta say that it was pretty frickin’ sweet man. I found a hat that I wanted and have to wait til’ payday because it’s $40.00. It’s a little expensive but it sure was sweet. I don’t have any TapouT gear so I’m glad I was able to find something nice. Plus, it’s some sort of flex-fit hat that fit’s perfect and those never, ever work for me.

By the way, when the hell is Osirus going to come out with their Rampage shoes? Matt C., I tried everywhere under the sun. Could you or anyone for that matter please help me out?

• Davey D says:

Forgot to mention. In regards to the Ecko shorts, the red ones are cool. I like them better than the camo ones.

• Realone says:

Big Ecko collector since 93.Big MMA fan and fighter.This is awesome.