Starnes claims he asked for release

Or so he told The Fight Network:

“[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva told me that it usually takes a couple of days for their legal department to complete the paperwork and that he would send me all of the paperwork to indicate that my contract has been dissolved,” Starnes said. “Later on in the afternoon, after I had spoken to Joe Silva, a story was released by some reporter from Yahoo! in which Dana White said that he had released me from my contract. I received no documentation on that, and it came after I asked to be released.”

“Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night,” Starnes said. “He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”

Even if all of this injury news is true I have a hard time believing the casual fan is going to find it in their heart to forgive Kalib for a performance that will go down in the ages. You might have only made $10,000 but try telling that to a guy that shelled out $45 to watch that unfold for fifteen minutes. Kalib went out with a parting shot at Dana:

“All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage.”

Well even if you’re hating Kalib right now you have to admit he’s kind of got him there. I’ve never quite looked at it the same since Dana was talking about a guy (Matt Arroyo?) on The Ultimate Fighter not being a fighter or warrior because he pulled out of a fight with cracked ribs. Yeah, let’s see how you’d do. It’s one thing to know your sport and run it well, it’s another to question manhoods when you can’t do what they do in the first place. Well, except maybe Starnes. I think he could definitely do that.

• C.C. says:

Why is no one holding Starnes accountable for calling Quarry’s cornerman a “faggot?” Even if he has legitimate gripes he loses whatever sympathy he might have gotten from me otherwise for showing himself to be a bigot.

• Kelvin says:

One question…if his foot was broken….how did he run so well? Fuck that fag.

• HexRei says:

• Jay says:

Kalib Starnes is a whiner.

I’m glad you are gone Kalib.

broken foot? wouldn’t have been best to call it quits when it “broke”? That would have been better than running around like a girl for 15 minutes.

• Ian says:

This is one time where I’ll have to defend Dana. While he may not get in the ring or fight, it’s actually his job to analyze fighters and gauge their merit. He also needs to put a good product out there for fans, and I can’t imagine anyone enjoying the Starnes fight for anything other than comedic value at the end.

Likewise, writers and reporters need to objectively cover the story when things like this take place. Some have done that correctly and in the proper context, and some are no better than a Sherdog troll.

I wish Starnes had fought for a variety of reasons, but I just can’t bring myself to question his manhood, anonymously, over the internet.

As a fan of MMA, and particularly of Nate’s, I wish Starnes would have made it a better fight, but until I can kick his ass, I’ll leave it at that.

• HIGH SCHOOL CRIMINAL says:

To Dana’s credit —

On that episode, the doctor repeatedly said that the xray was clean, and there was no crack on his rib. Arroyo later said the exact opposite, and, it seemed to me, lied.

Now, that could’ve been creative editing to make Dana look good. That’s possible. But taken at face value, Dana was correct in calling out Arroyo — because the guy didn’t have a broken rib. He just didn’t want to fight Danzig (I think that’s who it was).

• Gibbs says:

I don’t always agree with Dana White but he’s on the money with this one. After a performance like that you can’t quit you oughta be fired. It should also be noted that Dana was an amateur boxer and while that may not be on the level of a professional mma fighter it’s not like he hasn’t stood across the ring from someone wanting to knock him out.

And good luck Kalib, I hope it was worth it. You may not have received multiple injuries that you’re free Canadian health care would have taken care of, but you did lose a ton of money and credibility when negotiating a contract elsewhere.

• slimm says:

Kalib’s boss (Dana) paid him 10g’s for 15 minutes of work, bottom line if your foot is broke it sucks to be you but hey dont bitch about getting paid only 10 grand for 15 minutes of work (and ya he doesnt get paid to train and that money has to last, but thats why u go and have a great fight,knockout,or sub so u get bonuses), dont answer the bell to come out and “fight” and proceed to run away, soo Dana hasnt fought with cracked ribs… he is the puppett master not the puppett….. Kalib you suck you shoudnt havent came out to fight if you were in pain….. hasnt Forrestt fought with a broken hand or arm and ended up getting the knock out? Kalib you job is to fight, your a fighter thats what u do, stop making excuses of why u looked like a bitch on saturday…. Frank didnt answer the bell when Cung broke his arm, everyone understood that….. if you had broken bones dont come out each round and waste everyones time and hard earned money, and you got paid 10g’s for being a fighter boooo hoooo

• Danny says:

• C.C. says:

I’m pretty sure no one put a gun to Starnes’ head and forced him to sign the contract.

• seth b says:

“I do however, find it funny that so many people on the internet are raging on him for being a coward. 99.99% of the people taking shots at him don’t have the courage or the skill to set foot inside the cage or ring at even a local promotion, let alone the UFC, and until they do, it’s probably hypocritical of them to call this guy a pussy.”

I can’t hit a major league fastball, but still have the right to criticize (enter name of favorite MLB slugger here) when they strike out. Why, because my money ultimately pays their salary, just as Starnes salary is ultimately paid for by us, the fans, to see a product. That product is the result of their life’s dedication to excelling in their choosen field. You pay your tax person well to do your taxes, if your refund is less than you hoped for do you not have the right to criticize because you could not do your own taxes?

• Buddha says:

This guy has no pride or integrity. He quits on all these fights because of injuries, news flash Kalib, you chose this as your profession, if you dont like the rates you are being paid and don’t feel injuries are worth the risk then go get a different job you big baby! I don’t know how the guy expects to ever make the money necessary to outweigh the risk of paying a doctor bill if hes never going to put 100% into a fight, This is the 3rd time hes gave up on a fight that I’ve watched. Hey Kalib, I hear theres not much injury risk in accounting, why don’t you give that a whirl, or maybe you’ll stub your finger pressing calculator keys and have to leave work early.

• yuushi says:

“I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces.”

Then why didn’t he throw in the towel between rounds after he got hurt? That’s a hell of a lot more honorable/acceptable than what he did.

• JacRabbit says:

…though horribly dishonorable, and disrespective to your fans, in a really awkward kind of way I can see where Kalib is coming from.

He bowed out on TUF when he dislocated his rib and everyone gave him shit for it (including Dana if i recall correctly). Now, here he is in a PPV fight… he probably thought people would give him shit for ducking out, so he instead opted to hang in and attempt to use his jabs? Could have just been poor judgment in the heat of the moment.

• JacRabbit says:

“Dana was an amateur boxer and was going to step in the ring with Tito Ortiz not too long ago. So STFU Starnes.”

Do you honestly think that Tito was the one to back out of the fight? I think it was all a marketing ploy…

• Evan says:

2 things…

1. Dana was a Amateur boxer and Tito says he is pretty good.

2. I bet both Dana and Starnes are right. Right when the fight is over I am sure Dana made his decision and right when Starnes got back to the locker room I bet he decided to quit. Its just a matter of paperwork getting done.

Its all a matter of saving face right now.

• Cabelo says:

the wording emphasizes the problem with his approach, and the reason for the whole debacle. He was thinking about his injury, about getting hurt while he was supposed to be fighting.

How many fighters do you see winning when they’re stressing out about their knee, shoulder, etc? None. He shouldn’t have been thinking about getting knocked out because of his broken foot. He should’ve been thinking about leaving an indelible mark on Dana and Joe, to make them want to give him a higher paying contract. He should’ve been thinking about what a golden opportunity he had, his last fight on his contract being on the televised card….Arlovski didn’t get that chance.

But his lack of focus wouldn’t let him look past the short-term pain of injuries. Any five injuries he could have received would be healed in a couple months…….the damage done to his public fighting profile will never heal. Guess it’s good he’s retiring, cause he sabotaged himself.

And this whole releasing papers deal just sounds like: “You can’t fire me, I quit!”

sounds like more damage control……

• yuushi says:

I doubt it if White actually got a license for the boxing match and they were ready to do weigh-ins.

• Brandt says:

Well, I kinda called it yesterday with my story about the Starnes fiasco and it seemed to be a combination of two things; an injury and an issue with the boss man. I thought it could have been one of four things and aside from those two listed above, his game plan and the crowd could have affected him at the time.

Either way, Starnes isn’t a warrior like some fighters out there and he should probably fight elsewhere.

• Patrick says:

Khalib Starnes must be one tough fucker to run for 15 minutes straight on a broken foot , that or he’s full of shit (look at the fight video, I believe he threw kicks with both legs during the fight…not real kicks, more like taps, hard to kick when you’re running).

Starnes is a liar and a coward.

• Patrick says:

Also in response to these two comments:

I have been in local promotions around my area, and even if I hadn’t of competed in those, it’s pretty obvious that Starnes handled this like a grade A pussy.

“Kelvin: So, how many times you broken your foot? trust me, if someone is walking you down to beat the crap out of you, you can still walk on a broken foot, just like you can still punch with a broken hand- it just hurts like hell and will probably be worse in the end as a result.”

So you get the fight called and you don’t aggravate the injury by running around and hopping on the foot? Foot and hand are very different by the way, handling a foot injury is a lot harder than something done to the hand (because unless you’re hopping on one leg, you put a lot of pressure on your foot, especially if you’re running/doing boxing footwork like he was trying to do). Whereas with a broken hand during a fight, a lot of people just don’t throw that hand and just keep it plastered up to their head or down by their ribs essentially, Khalib was running, kicking, jumping, hopping, away from Quarry. The foot being broken is BS, watch the video, and if he had any brains at all he just wouldn’t of come out of his corner after the first round if he was so injured.

So add idiot to the list of things that Khalib Starnes is.

• Mike Wolfe says:

No. 11 Seth b. is correct; the argument that only fighters can criticize other fighters is silly. Using that same logic, only former Presidents can criticize sitting Presidents and only child abusers can criticize other child abusers.

• HexRei says:

@#13 yuushi Says:
    April 22nd, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I have never seen any actual record of White boxing. There is record of him owning some boxing gyms but from what I’ve read and been able to find documented he never fought a single actual boxing match.

And who cares what he said he would do with Tito? For all we know he would have chickened out at the last second.

Hell, I’ll say I’d fight Tito right now (even though I’m sure I’d lose). Now I doubt Tito would fight me, and for the same reason he didn’t fight Dana (no money in it), but that doesn’t mean that just cause I SAY I’ll fight Tito that I’m some kind of tough guy, and neither is Dana who up until the TUF show debuted was just a skinny ,balding, timid corporate representative.

• HexRei says:

@21 Thanks, doctor patrick. Nice situation you’ve put yourself in there, even if he proves he’s not a liar with an X-ray or doctor you get to fall back to calling him stupid. Was it stupid of Vera to continue to fight with his broken hand? Couture with his broken arm? How many times have we seen a fighter bust out of a tough heelhook and end up limping away from the ref after the last round?
    Starnes thought he had the heart to continue fighting and found differently in the ring, cut him a little slack there unless you’ve actually fought on a broken foot before.

• BJJDenver says:

You know, I really don’t like fighter bashing. HOWEVER, any of you guys that have frequented Sherdog, know what a condescending A-hole that Starnes can be. So it is ok for him to bash other fighters and fans, but when we criticize him he gets his panties all bunched up? Sorry, I thought he had a ton of potential coming out of TUF, but he proved me wrong.

Also, I like how he takes the stance that he was proving a point about fighter treatment, but has no concern about how he screwed Quarry. Dude trained his ass off and was basically left without a fight and has lost a chance to make an impression on White and Silva.

• Rln says:

“Kalib Starnes claims to have asked for his release after sustaining injuries early in the fight against Nate Quarry that stopped him from being effective from that point forward. He claims for the paltry $10,000 he was making that picking up five injuries just wasn’t worth it.”

I think you’re mis-interpreting what he said a bit. He asked to be released well in advance of his fight and knew going into it that it was his last fight for the UFC. To me it looks like some dude that was trying not to get injured because he has/had something else lined up already and just wanted to collect a paycheck.

Take a look at this gif of Starnes’ kicks in the first round when the injury was suppose to of happened. The proof is in the pudding:

• cyph says:

I’ve sprained my foot before and I was limping for a week. A broken foot and he was running around like Roger Rabit? I don’t have to be a doctor to know that you can’t stand let alone run around if you have a broken foot. A broken hand is different from a broken foot… the latter has constant pressure, in this case 170lbs pushing down on it. Not only is Starnes a coward, he’s also an epic liar.

And before anyone ask me if I’ve ever step into a ring, you can stop right now. Unlike Starnes, I don’t get paid to fight nor do I pretend to be an MMA fighter. Starnes should stop pretending as well.

• Patrick says:

HexRei, if he was injured then he shouldn’t of been a complete grade A moron and jumped around on his injury for 15 minutes, embarrassing himself and his trainers.

“Was it stupid of Vera to continue to fight with his broken hand? Couture with his broken arm? How many times have we seen a fighter bust out of a tough heelhook and end up limping away from the ref after the last round?”

Like I said before and others have echoed, a foot is different than a hand or arm man. Look at the fight again, he’s not even favoring one foot, he’s putting full pressure on both feet and using both to backpedal and run away. Vera and Couture obviously favored their injured parts during those bouts, we see none of that from Starnes, so either he’s tougher than Couture and Vera…. (uhh no.) or he’s full of it man, maybe he meant broken toe nail. Another point, a heel hook isn’t going to instantly snap you, it’s going to strain pretty bad and yeah you’ll get up limping, but a limp isn’t synonymous with a full on break.

• UncleBoogie says:

I’ve broken my foot. I’ve broken my ankle. I’ve also badly sprained my foot on multiple occasions.

Starnes is full of shit. No way did he break his foot and run around like that.

• Patrick says:

Also, good catch Rln.

• Rich S. says:

@ #3,

“So, how many times you broken your foot? trust me, if someone is walking you down to beat the crap out of you, you can still walk on a broken foot, just like you can still punch with a broken hand”

Maybe.. but.. you notice when a fighter breaks his hand in a fight.. he stops using it.. almost 100% of the time.. well.. Starnes breaks his foot.. and he decides to walk it off?? it doesn’t make too much sense..

Call me crazy.. but am i the only one who wonders why Starnes didn’t get the fight TO THE GROUND?? I mean, if i broke my foot early on… i would NOT walk… rephrase.. run around on it for 15 more minutes.. i would probably wait out the round.. and have my corner stop it in between rounds.. that’s why something’s fishy here.. just picture this: Well, i’m kind of a free fighting style facing a SUPERIOR striker with KO power.. Ouch, i just broke my foot.. well, I might as well stand with him for another 15 minutes… ON MY BROKEN FOOT!!

that’s just not believable..

oh, and… to #28,

“a heel hook isn’t going to instantly snap you, it’s going to strain pretty bad and yeah you’ll get up limping, but a limp isn’t synonymous with a full on break.”

LOL @ THAT STATEMENT, here you go buddy:

notice how in both of these videos.. the second the hook is actually APPLIED, the victims scream in pain.. and tap..
    with enough force.. it can definately break fast.. that’s why.. you don’t F with kneebars and ankle locks..

• Sam says:

I’d like to see the x-rays

• Heatwaves says:

# 9 Danny Says:

“I’m glad they got rid of starnes but i will say that he is right when it comes to the money that these guys r making. 10 grand, thats it! if a guy fights 3 times in 1 yr, thats only 30k. cops make more than that. and on top of that, they still have to pay taxes. these guys r some of the most hard training athletes in the world. somebody needs to start rewarding them 4 such hard efforts.”

I agree with statements that Josh Barnett made a while back. Paraphrasing, he said that the lower-tier fighters are actually overpaid. No one buys a ticket to see Brad Morris, Mark Bocek or Khalib Starnes. It’s basically the 4-7 guys on a fight card that pay the wages of the other 13-16 fighters. You buy the PPVs or the tickets because of big name fighters, not unknown or average ones. If you’d like every fighter to earn $75K a year fighting and are willing to pony-up $100 per PPV or $500 for bleacher seats, have at it. Everyone also knows that the low and mid-tier fighters main income doesn’t come from the promotions anyway. Two-thirds of their income (and sometimes more) comes from sponsors.

• no need for long paragraphs and explanations, this was an easy call.

• Hustler says:

the only reason i can see for a shitty performance like that – is if he and his family was threatened by mafia who made a huge bet on Quarry… and was told by those guy not to even touch him.

about foot i don’t believe

• Kogepan says:

Dana White is a piece of crap yellow bellied coward.

• Rich S. says:

“UFC will be destroyed by the Japanese promotions and HDNET/Elitexc/affliction by the end of this year.”

ya.. you bank on that..

• Patrick says:

Make you a bet that they won’t be Kogepan.

• Kogepan says:

Fedor vs Sylvia…July 19th –> HDNET/affliction

DREAM LW GP –> DREAM

The BEST fights are ALREADY happening OUTSIDE the UFC. All you UFC nuthuggers can blow your $45 watching garbage like gurgel, lutter etc etc on UFC.

• Fight Fan says:

Starnes is worse than Hitl…Starnes is bad.

• Mike says:

If the reason that Khalib “fought” the way he did was because he was unhappy about his pay, that is just unacceptable. I would jump at any opportunity to fight for the UFC whether it was for $1,000 or $100,000. I would just be happy that the UFC wanted me to represent them, and if Khalib doesn’t feel the same way then we are all better off without him.

• yuushi says:

DREAM LW GP –> DREAM

DREAM just lost their TV deal. You remember what happened to PRIDE when that happened . . .

• yuushi says:

HexRei: If you think he’s tougher than Starnes then congrats, you bought the hype just like Dana wanted you to.

I’m just using facts to dismiss Starnes bulls**t.

And you’re being an apologist for a backpedalling, excuse-making, non fighter like Starnes. Congrats to you as well.

• AH says:

so what happens if Sylvia beats Fedor? They just lost their biggest (and only) draw. The event is co promoted by an FN clothing company.. come on. Elitexc is a joke. Kimbos going to be fed cans for his entire career and no one will take him seriously. The Dream promotion is the only one worth seeing but will not compete with the UFC. I dont see any nuts to hug on the UFC logo. I watch UFC because the best fighters are there.. not all of them but a large majority. I also go and watch the small events such as WFC and RFC here in Tampa. so no… UFC is not MMA … but its the GSP/Anderson Silva of MMA.

• AH says:

oh and Starnes is BS…. dudes got talent but no heart. Who knew that Quarry was a stand up comedian. The last 10 seconds of the fight was one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

• Shaun says:

Facts:

Starnes might have been injured but plenty of fighters fight with injuries. Franklin fought with a freaking broken hand and won. Rampage with an injured wrist and won. Frank Shamrock with an injured knee and won. In the end it’s a good reason but also an excuse.

Dana does know about the fight game and he was trying to be a boxer back when he was a bell boy, but it’s true to a certain extent that he hasn’t gone through the same thing Matt an Kalib did so it’s kind of a double edge sword.

• mike wolfe says:

Last night I watched a replay of the Starnes/Leben fight from UFC 71 in May 2007. Starnes had more muscle mass than in his fight with Quarry, and also appeared to have better cardio. Looks to me like his problem in the Quarry fight was subpar conditioning.

• Jay K. says:

I still can’t figure out how Starnes was able to run the Marathon and not trip over his skirt???

Anyone?

• Evan says:

Perhaps you should wait until they show they can hold a PPV first?

And HDnet will dominate as “MMA Media” and likely not an actual fighter organization itself. HDnet will be the ESPN of MMA.

• GirlyGirl says:

Who does this Dbag think he’s kidding?

I’m glad he’s gone. Let him go whine in the IFL.

• GirlyGirl says:

And if Starnes was SO upset about UFC not paying his medical bills from the injuries sustained LONG before this fight, why wait til now to complain about it? Because he’s f***in p***y.

• keenan says:

shut up and get out starnes

• yuushi says:

Starnes’ apologists can’t use the “UFC didn’t pay for his medical expenses” crap as an excuse. He said so himself that the UFC pays for the fighters medical expenses . . .

• Shawn says:

One difference is all that matters: Dana’s job is not fighting. Kalib Starnes is. Dana White’s job is promoting and agree with his decisions or not, he gives his life to that job and fights tooth and nail to the end to do what he thinks is right. I do not think we can say the same for Kalib Starnes in respect to his job.

I will say that Kalib Starnes has done an amazing job in making himself one of the top heels in MMA today (along with Tito, Big Tim, and Gilbert Yvel). Complaining about money Kalib? A lot of people are going to be paying to see you get KTFO’d.

• Grant Anderson says:

What else would you expect Starnes to do but come up with an excuse for probably the poorest performance in the ostagon ever by anyone! Let the poor fucker dissapear into oblivion and forget his embarrassing display! Whether he’s bullshitting or not..who cares..he’s a loser!!!As for others not being as brave as him…this was his chosen profession..and he proved his merit…or lack of!!!

• James Latter says:

Kalib threw a punch 10 seconds into the fight. The rest of the match is a running match. And I quote (exactly 1 minute into the fight) “Quarry is bringing this fight to Kalib, Kalib was running away from him at one point, and turned into a running race…..”. Kalib, you’re an embarassment to the sport. Your lies are disrespectful to your fans.