twitter google

Report: Torres vs. Maeda for WEC bantamweight title set for June 1

wec-logo.jpgA planned WEC bantamweight title defense by Miguel Torres against Manny Tapia that had been scheduled to take place on June 1 in Sacramento, Calif. has been scrapped, according to the official website of the WEC.

Tapia was forced to pull out of the right after sustaining a knee injury during training. While the WEC has not officially announced a replacement, MMAMania.com has broken the news that Torres is now expected to defend his title against Yoshiro Maeda.

Torres has one of the most impressive records in MMA at 32-1 and won the WEC bantamweight title in just his second match for the promotion. He submitted incumbent champion Chase Beebe with a guillotine choke at 3:59 of round 1 during the WEC’s show in Albuquerque this past February.

Maeda, a veteran of Japanese-based promotions PRIDE, DEEP and Pancrase, also made his WEC debut on the same show. He recorded a first round knockout over Charlie Valencia after connecting with a vicious kick to the body.

The WEC’s June show in Sacramento will take place at the Arco Arena and will be headlined by WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber defending his title against former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver.

5 COMMENTS
  • mike wolfe says:

    This promises to be another ouststanding WEC card. Two snaps up!

  • slimm says:

    i cannot wait for this card, i bought my tickets right when they went on sale, hell the compared to the UFC the tickets were super reasonible cant wait and the card keeps getting better and better

  • Tom says:

    I wish the UFC would absorb the 145 and 135 pound weight classes… these are PPV worthy fights/fighters. I want to see these types of fights more than every 3-4 months…

  • Kelvin says:

    WEC is THE shit!

  • A.C Slater says:

    Nah, let WEC hold down the little-man fort. I like that I can catch these amazing fights on Versus.

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.