EliteXC announces contract extension with Kimbo Slice

kimbo-vs-tank-032.jpgElite Xtreme Combat announced a multi-fight contract extension with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson late Monday afternoon.

Terms of the deal have not be disclosed.

Slice is scheduled to headline EliteXC’s network television debut on CBS on May 31 in Newark, N.J. An opponent for Slice has not been officially announced, but NBC Sports’ Mike Chiapetta reported last week that Slice will be taking on James “Colossus” Thompson.

Slice, 2-0, made his professional mixed martial arts debut this past November at EliteXC’s Renegade in Corpus Christi, Texas, where he recorded a first round submission (punches) against Bo Cantrell.

His second career win came this past February at EliteXC’s Street Certified event in Slice’s adopted hometown of Miami, Florida. Slice needed just 0:43 to knock out Tank Abbott.

Prior to making his MMA debut, Slice gain notoriety for participating in unsanctioned street fights that were made available on YouTube. Before signing with EliteXC, he defeated former professional boxer Ray Mercer in an MMA exhibition last summer while competing for the Cage Fury Fighting Championships.

EliteXC also officially announced extensions with Gina Carano and middleweight champion Robbie Lawler. FiveOuncesOfPain.com first reported Lawler’s extension last month and sources have indicated that Carano’s extension was negotiated several months ago.

• slimm says:

so much for Chuck v Kimbo

• Evan says:

I think he is about 4 fights away from needing a big test, so this is probably best. The problem is that EliteXC has hyped him so much they probably need to give him a big test sooner than later.

• glock says:

Another great test of Kimbo. I guess Butterbean still looked too risky or wasn’t available so they get a guy that the Bean KO’d in 43 sec’s .

kimbo slice legendary.

• JEFF THE DRUNK says:

any word about when tickets will go on sale for the 31st in newark ? the card isn’t listed on ticketmaster yet

• HexRei says:

glock, im not riding the slicewagon or anything but cmon, its kimbos third mma fight and thompson is definitely a step up from tank and cantrell. not a big step, but a step. i realize shaw is pimping slice like the second coming but the truth is the guy is still kind of new to sport mma and he is wise to be working his way up slowly, even if it doesn’t fit with the hype.

• Matt says:

Jeff,

I would imagine that they are going to wait to announce Thompson first as Kimbo’s opponent and then put tix on sale. I’ve been checking http://www.PruCenter.com each day, and they actually have the fight announced and show Kimbo on their home page, but nothing is listed obviously still when you click the “Buy Tickets” link.

• the one says:

go elitexc and strikeforce!!!
    get also tito and andrei!!!!

• Rich S. says:

Thompson’s going to suffer a COLOSSAL Knock Out…

• Fight Fan says:

WARNING
    The following contains overly dramatic material.

First let me say that I don’t mind Kimbo, in fact I wish him all the best after he loses and we kill the BS hype. He may be a good fighter in the future but this fight will prove nothing. So please, please, please…please let the fix go wrong and have Kimbo Ko’d in under 10 sec’s it would be the best thing for MMA and Kimbo. Otherwise we will have more and more of this artificial bolstering of pay per veiw winning fighters.
    Does anyone else see that they can’t afford Kimbo to lose, so he wont, and I think they would want to make it as sure as possible, so I realy wouldn’t be surprised if Thomson was offered a very good pay day (if you know what I mean). I would be extremly suprised if Kimbo loses this fight…extremly surprised.
    This will kill MMA cred…it already is, just like Don King and his mates did in boxing.

• A.C Slater says:

Fight Fan, are you saying that you wouldn’t be surprised if they paid Thompson to take a dive?
    Or did I misread that…

• glock says:

Pretty accurate in my book, not dramatic at all. I’m not a kimbo hater I hope the guy adds some competition to the HW world.
    It’s just REALLY bothers me when there are so many guys that DESERVE the promotion, that have had really tough roads to get the cred, and don’t get the breaks .
    I don’t fault kimbo for being the right package at the right time, or for taking full advantage of the program that’s being laid out for him, but I ain’t gonna help sell the illusion for (as OddTom said so well in the other kimbo thread) a slimeball in a tracksuit.
    HexRei
    Thompson is a step up no doubt, but it’ll be a one dimensional MMA bout….. As was Cung Le’s…..but it’ll be nowhere near as interesting.

• BadMonkey says:

Who else has heard about Forest knocking Kimbo out with a kick in sparring recently??

• mike wolfe says:

Anybody who has watched MMA for more than a year knows that Thompson comes out throwing and has a glass jaw. He’s tailor made for Kimbo’s highlight reel. Some day Elite will put him in the cage with a fighter who has a legit grappling game and we’ll see how Kimbo does. Maybe he wins, but I have my doubts. Meanwhile, I’ll watch as long as it’s free. Won’t pay hard-earned money until he’s proven himself against more formidible fighters.

• Evan says:

“Anybody who has watched MMA for more than a year knows that Thompson comes out throwing and has a glass jaw.”

It drives me insane. I just kind of groan and say “here we go again” as he rushes to his own demise.

• NoRegrets says:

Read comment 22 that i posted on the Dana wanting liddell to fight kimbo it pretty much sums everything up that is being discussed here.

• Matt says:

Per PruCenter.com website:

Tickets go on sale Friday morning (4/18) @ 10 AM

Prices range from $18-$1,003.

I am not going to buy the $18 seats, as the nosebleed seats in the Prudential Center are in the exosphere, and I’d be better off trying to watch it on my couch.

• Fight Fan says:

# 10 A.C. all I said is that Kimbo wont lose…wink, wink, nudge, nudge know what I mean.