Open Discussion: Fair or Foul?

There have been some rumblings and discussions about last Wednesday’s aired preliminary bout between Manny Gamburyan and Jeff Cox at UFC Fight Night 13. At the start of the bout the two went to touch gloves when Gamburyan looked to pull away and throw a kick. Click here to check out a gif of the kick.

Fair or foul?

I’ve seen three different ways of thought on the issue:

B) It’s a fight and you should protect yourself at all times. You can touch gloves before the fight but once the bell rings it’s every man for himself.

C) It does show a lack of class but you don’t have to touch gloves and he has every right to do that if he wishes.

So, is the action fair or foul?

• Derek B. says:

when the bell rings you need to be ready to throw down. There is no rules stating you need to touch gloves after you already touched gloves before the fight.

• William W. says:

I agree, you should be ready at all times. But Manny is deliberately trying to lull his opponent into the belief he will touch gloves, so he can get in his shot. Very unsportsmanlike if you ask me.

• ossBASHA says:

Cheap, but fair. I would have prefered seeing Manny just kick him without stretching his arm out to touch gloves.

• ray says:

I think it was a very dirty thing to do. I don’t have a problem with fighters not touching gloves but to act as if you are and then throw the kick at the last second is just a cowardly tactic in my opinion.

• Kyle S. says:

I agree that touching gloves is not mandatory, but if you put your hand up like you are going to, and then throw a kick.. thats just a cheap shot in my opinion.. He’s a classless punk, and Ive lost all respect for him.

• Kelvin says:

Always keep your eyes on your opponent.

• Patrick says:

It was a cheap shot and shows a complete lack of class and respect.

It was a douche thing to do, I completely lost any respect I had for him because of that.

Him and Karo have bad attitudes and are poor sports, Manny will get what’s coming to him, just like Karo.

• paddiosf says:

I agree with #3 if your going to use the tradtional glove touching as a ploy to catch your opponent off guard then why put your glove or arm out like you want to….in my opinion of Manny after watching him on the TUF show is that he’s a loose cannon the guy is alittle off to me..it doesn’t surprise me that he would do something like that..Manny has the sterotypical “little man’s diesase”..

• BustYoFace says:

“A) The action shows a complete lack of sportsmanship and class. If you don’t want to touch gloves either wave him away or stay in a fighting position. This is just taking unfair advantage and throwing a cheap shot.”

I deffinetly agree with this. Thats something you do on the streets. Not in a sanctioned, respected, horable atmosphere. Two gladiators are meeting to do battle, test eachothers wit. I think all the respect and so forth can be delivered afterward, so if your not interested in “touching gloves” or bowing, than signal that you dont than move forward. It defiles sport. Which is what it is, a SPORT. If it were a fight for your life which is what matial arts is for. Than its different.

• Jarrod says:

Agreed, cheap but legal, I wouldn’t really call it fair. I just hope this doesn’t become some sort of trend with fighters. Touch gloves before the fight and leave it there. When the bell rings, come out fighting.

• Gabber says:

Anyone think it’s possible that he went to touch gloves with the intention of kicking him right after. Then his nerves got the better of him, he just misses the touch so he can keep the distance with the kick?

Like the glove touch is so close, I’d like to give any fighter the benefit of the doubt. Manny didn’t seem like a big dick in the house until Emerson wrote “Suck this ..” or some shit on the wall.

But personally, I just feel you touch when the ref tells you too and you protect yourself at all times when the ref tells you too.

That would make the stop & restart between Arlovski & Marcio Cruz somewhat questionable when he did everything in the rules.

Anyone know anything about the UFC signing Andrei? I’m starting to get anxious

• Mike Wolfe says:

“Protect yourselves at all times” is what the fighters are told by the ref, so it’s fair. It looks like a sucker punch or a cheap shot, though.

• clint notestine says:

I think it was cheap and unsportsmanlike and agree that he and Karo have an attitude problem. I say if your gonna immediately attack do it but don’t lure you opponent into touching gloves. It’s a good game plan but so is using head butts or kicking a downed opponent.

• yenny says:

Lame. Touching gloves is an act of sportmanship and mutual respect, not a trick to get someone outstretched or unprepared. If a fighter is looking for an advantage, surprised by technique, not faking sportsmanship.

• Missouri Red says:

what a pussy he clearly acted as if he was going to touch gloves.Should have just kicked him in the sack

• fastfoodandbeer says:

It’s dirty and he’s a bitch for doing it, but the ref said fight, so you definitely have to be ready for anything. I can’t wait to see Manny face some real tough competition and get mopped up.

• Rich S. says:

every one of the points that were made are good [a,b, and c]

but i most agree w/ point A…

because if he wasn’t going to actually touch gloves.. he should have waved him away.. instead of putting his hand up.. if his hand wasn’t in the air, i’m sure cox would have had no problem w/ not touching gloves, but he thought there was a mutual agreement, so he went in to touch gloves.. and manny kicked him..

that wasn’t cool..

• CAP says:

A) Complete cheap shot. If you don’t want to touch gloves, fine, but don’t act like you are going to. One thing I really like about MMA is that MOST guys have a respect toward each other and the sport. I hope this new explosion and growth in popularity doesn’t dilute the sport and lose those values.

Plain poor sportsmanship.

• Dan says:

I call foul, should have waved off the glove touch. It wasn’t the kick that bugs me, it was the pretend like your gonna touch gloves and then cheap shot. I think thats the real issue

• Jim says:

I agree that it’s a cheap shot, however technically legal. Still, it’s cheap. The re-touch of gloves is an additional, optional show of respect between fighters. If you don’t want to touch gloves — if you’re so pumped up that you just want to get out there and bang at the start of the fight — then that’s fine, you simply shake your head and decline or stay in your ready position. But to raise your arm and then go for a strike is misleading and disrespectful.

• D says:

I’m a Manny fan and I still say “A”.

• FrankD says:

I think A) is the right answer.

I agree you don’t have to touch gloves. But if you are walking out with your hand up like you’re about to touch and then at the last second drop your hand and kick…that’s cheap. If it’s possible for something to be worse than a total dick-move…this is it!

• HexRei says:

cheap but legal. it’s the type of thing that shouldn’t be penalized by the ref but will probably generate of lot of bad blood behind the scenes with other fighters.

• Mike C. says:

If you don’t want to touch gloves, don’t.

I think it was the Guida-Aurelio fight where Guida waves Aurelio off before thay touch gloves. If you don’t want to do it, this is how it should be handled.

• Jay K. says:

Yup, it was a dick-move on Manvel’s part, but it’s game time and the opposition should respond accordingly.

He was very classless.

• JohnnyRev says:

PUNK! that sums it up … no other way to put it …Manny is a PUNK… man him and Diaz are a pair of no class thugs … i wish they both would go away ..

• hindsightufuk says:

how funny if this question had been asked in the early days of ufc.
    anything goes, no holds barred, knockout, submission or DEATH!!etc and now its awww he went to touch gloves and then kicked him. unsportsmanship sure, but its fucking fighting isnt it?

personally i wouldnt do and unless someone gains a huge advantage from doing it, it doesnt matter. just a cheap shot eh?

• recently.reaped says:

I agree with these two sentiments, either raise your hand and touch gloves or keep’em down and show you wanna fight.

# 4 ray Says:
    April 8th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

# 5 Kyle S. Says:
    April 8th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

• I think a sorely absent fact here is that he did this against Jeff Cox. No disrespect to Jeff Cox, but he is Jeff Cox. If Manny has to take this kind of advantage against Jeff Cox what’s he going to have to do to BJ Penn? Shank him?

• DumbOut! says:

It’s not illegal, but its cheap! Manny the midget should be ashamed!

• Andy says:

This is the kind of crap that gets MMA in trouble. When jackasses like Manny do stupid shit like this, it gives all the MMA dissidents ammunition. MMA is still fighting for legitimacy and this isn’t the kind attention that will put a positive perception into people’s minds. If you don’t want to touch gloves don’t but taking cheap shots like that just makes MMA fighters look like neanderthals.

• Manny doesn’t realize that a fighter is more than just his W column. Stunts like this will only hurt is reputation and fan base. That can only translate into lower purse money being offered in his future fights. And let’s be honest, money is the biggest gripe fighters have, and he’s only giving reasons to be paid minimally.

I say it’s a cheap shot- not something a man with any respect would pull. I liked Manny- but I can’t root for someone I don’t respect as a man.

• Fujin says:

Totally fair but a dick move.

A training partner was fighting on an amateur card about a year ago. In one of the fights before his, one of the fighter raised his hand to touch gloves then shot in a double as soon as the other fighter put his hand up. He got booed pretty bad.

• jjdnb says:

Absolutely Fair.
    Once the bell rings there should be no handshaking, congratulating, hugging, kissing, dapping, winking, blowing in each others ears, oral or even anal sex.

We dont want another Frank Shamrock in there putting on an acting class instead of fighting.
    The fighters touch up before the fight when the referree goes over the rules, why do they have to touch up again at the begining of the fight or at every round. Totally unnecisary.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

CHEAP. Shows Manny is a loser with no character.

• It’s legal. Cheap but legal. If you ever see they way they do that touch sometimes… very gingerly and from very far away… they all know it.

• pitbull17 says:

Fair our foul should not even be in question. It just shows that manny shouldn’t be respected, that was pretty much classless. I thought on the show that he was a douchebag and that pretty much confirms my thinking. He should have never put his hand out there if he was just gonna throw a cheap kick like that. I agree with #7 also, I think he and karo are poor sports.

• Sway says:

The growing sentiment here is that it was cheap but legal. I wholeheartedly agree. Many of you have already pointed out the facts, so I won’t reiterate what’s already been said. The fact is, Manny deserves to lose respect from fans and fighters alike, and if UFC management wants to maintain its growing image of legitimacy they need to punish him. Sure it seems like a small offence, but if it can stir the pot around internet forums I can only imagine that other fighters are talking about it. I feel bad for Jeff Cox, who subsequently got manhandled by Manny. If only he had beat Manny we might have seen a real fighter show some class.

• Kogepan says:

They should kick him out of the UFC like they did with babalu.

Totally classless.

Pretending to show sportmanship only to throw a kick is just cheap.

• THORAZINE says:

It was a cheap shot, nothing clever about it… he should have just thrown a punch while touching gloves and KO’d him in 4 seconds.

• Fight Fan says:

He should be booed for the rest of his career.
    Its not cheating but dirty unfair and cheap.
    I’m not into all this glove touching and hugging at the end of a fight but pretending that you are and then kicking is just low.
    He will regret it in future.

• islandguy666 says:

It’s partly the risk of getting hit that makes touching gloves at that moment a very sportsmanlike gesture… but yeah. funny to throw that useless kick at that point.. why not just throw a left hook and ko him if you’re going to cheat? Guy is an animal anyhow. no use looking for logic…

• matador says:

ironic how at the Babalu situation with Heath, Babalu threw his hat into the crowd and Manny threw it back in disgust, and he ends up doing this.

• Cyk1 says:

I don’t like it but we don’t know what went down before the fight. There could have been some words. I just don’t think Manny would do this just to be a dick.