5 Oz. of Pain on CBS: Why You Should Be Watching the WEC

My latest article for CBSSports.com is now available.

This week I decided to profess my undying love for the WEC. Anyone who reads this blog knows how high I am on the WEC as a promotion.

The article is titled “Why You Should Be Watching the WEC” and is geared towards casual fans who might only be limiting their MMA viewing habits to the UFC.

So while you know I enjoy the WEC a great deal, click here to find out exactly why.

• Jeremy says:

Must say I totally agree Sam. I usually watch the WEC cards at work, since they are on during the week and I work a 3 to 12 shift. I went from watching the WEC cards by myself to slowly having 2 or 3 other guys watching as well. The non-stop action of the show keeps them there the whole time. When Spike has a UFC card on there is always time for them to walk away for a while and it just doesn’t give them the same intensity. I still enjoy both cards, but the casual fans that I watch with enjoy the WEC cards more.

The matchups they make are fantastic as well. Every time they make a card people are always talking about how they would love to see the whole card or would pay money to see it because of the depth of matchups. Luckily we get it for free though!

• Mike C. says:

I love the WEC. I just got two friends hooked the other night. I had the last event Tivo’s and then we watched the new one. At first they weren’t interested for one of the reasons listed. They didn’t know anyone on the card.

As you said, the matchmaking is usually fantastic. Cannot wait for June 1st. I would pay for Pulver-Faber and Tapia-Torres and we get it free.

• mike wolfe says:

IMO, part of the WEC’s increasing success is its addition, development and retention of new, upcoming talent. UFC also did this, at least until recently. Orgs. that are built with fighters who have moved over from other orgs don’t have the success in terms of good cards/good fights. It’s somewhat similar to baseball, in my mind. Clubs that have built true dynasties have solid farm teams, too.

WEC and UFC set the standard by which other orgs are judged. Circumstances can change over time, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

• Barry says:

Sam, I gotta say I agree 100%. Great ‘show’ and usually great fights. And why Uriah Faber isn’t on more ‘top 10’ lists I have no idea.

• Pontus says:

I think you forgot the most important reason why the WEC is so good.

It’s that they gave featherweights and bantamweights a place to shine.

• AG Silver says:

You know what makes WEC more bearable than EliteXC for me?

Intelligent, non-self-serving announcing. I feel Frank Mir provides much more depth to the WEC broadcasts than Goldberg (who always finds new and creative ways to abandon journalistic, announcing impartiality) or even Mauro Rabello (too many corny one-liners that go over about as well as dead baby jokes at an abortion clinic).

I shudder to think how the CBS broadcast will go but I started watching WEC at the insistence of a good friend of mine (who is a HUGE MMA fan) and have fallen in love with the product. This was without the bias of knowing it was Zuffa owned.

Now knowing that, I can see that the WEC presentation is a similar model to the UFC’s but still light years ahead of EliteXC. Hopefully, EliteXC won’t tank on CBS but I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyway… just in case.

• Zack says:

Amen. The only knock on the WEC is that they don’t hold enough cards!

• Grape Knee High says:

Sam, like you, I am also a big fan of the WEC.

However, when I see the entire production plastered with the cheesy tribal tattoo visual theme, the last thing in my mind is that it is a “classy production”.

• Nate says:

How do you watch WEC at work?

I would like to watch WEC, but I can only watch online…. any options available?

• bashyourfaceforcash says:

Yes bantom weight has a home, yes the anouncing of mir is a 1st hand almost inside the cage feel and perspective. I believe everyone here concur’s with me that WEC and UFC are the 2 top pragmatic names in MMA.