Couture interview: talks Fedor, new gym openings, more (video)

Randy asked (again) about fighting Fedor… interviewer asks a lot of softball questions but worth a view because Couture does bring up a few interesting points:

• pushes for an independent fighter ranking system
  • says he doesn’t care where the Fedor fight happens, as long as it’s not in the UFC
  • Couture prefers to fight Fedor in the cage, doesn’t like the stoppages in the ring
  • says his lawyers feel UFC contract is up in July ’08
  • 5th Xtreme Couture gym just opened, 6th gym opening in Toronto next month
  • looking at New York and Hawaii for Xtreme Couture gym number 7

touch of gloves to MMAMania

Check out more Randy Couture and Fedor on FiveOuncesofPain.com

• Evan says:

“says he doesn’t care where the Fedor fight happens, as long as it’s not in the UFC”

ok so first it was about money then the UFC holds a press conference to prove what he said was wrong

then it was about fighting Fedor and since the UFC couldn’t make it happen he left to make it happen

and now he doesn’t want to fight him in the UFC if they make it happen

At this point I am tired of Randy and could not care less if I ever see him fight again.

• Derek B. says:

I’d rather see them fight in a ring. That way there isn’t a disadvantage to either of the fighters. Couture has the cage experience. Keep it in the ring.

• bubbafat says:

Simply accept that their are mitigating factors we are not aware of ,on both sides, that have brought it to this. We can’t do anything about it. And yes, Evan, I know you do care. You are just frustrated, like us all.

• HexRei says:

minor category misspelling on fedor’s name, matt. great find btw!

• Evan says:

“I know you do care. You are just frustrated, like us all”

Yeah you’re probably right.

Still though…I can say with certainty that I fell for his “good guy Captain America” act.

“I’d rather see them fight in a ring.”

But then Fedor would have the edge.

• Zack says:

I’m leaning toward being annoyed by the media coverage of Randy, but not Randy himself.

I still want to see this fight, but I don’t want to talk about it, hear about it, or argue about it until it’s real.

• Rich S. says:

as much as i love me some Randy.. it still REALLY pisses me off that instead of obligating/finishing his contract.. he’s begging for a fight that i feel he’ll lose..

• Derek B. says:

“I’d rather see them fight in a ring.”

But then Fedor would have the edge.

• Sergio says:

“How? Unless fedor has managed to add in flying knees from off the top ropes…there is no advantage.”

A big part of Randy’s game is using the cage to his advantage… take that away and you put a huge hole in his game.

• Rich S. says:

randy has won matches in rings before..
    it wouldn’t be that big of a hole in his game..

plus,
    if it’s not going to be in the UFC.. and i doubt EXC or WEC..
    then it would pretty much have to be in a ring..
    every “big” organization outside of USA uses a ring..

• ufcfan says:

randy and fedor

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRINNNG

• Sergio says:

Randy’s 3-3 in the ring, 13-5 in the cage and hasn’t fought in a ring in the better part of a decade.

I’m not saying Randy would be a fish out of water in a ring but he’s definitely more accustomed to the Octogon and has molded his game to accommodate that.

• Rich S. says:

i agree… the cage helps him.. his 2nd fight with Vitor Belfort will show you that..
    but.. his domination of Big Tim took place entirely in the middle of the cage..
    the use of the cage is just a little bitty cherry on the top of what is already a BEASTLY cake…

if you know what i’m saying..

• Mike Wolfe says:

How badly does Couture want to fight Fedor? He sure doesn’t need it. He’s making movies and opening gyms left, right and center, so money can’t be an issue, at least for now. Fedor’s management is completely flakey, and Couture has to know that, too. Couture has no control over whether the fight ever happens, and his career doesn’t depend on it.

If Couture hadn’t put himself in a stupid position with the UFC, he’d have no worries whatsoever.

• Rich S. says:

if he would have done that.. he would’ve honored and finished his contract.. he wouldn’t have lost any fans.. he wouldn’t be stuck in a rut.. and.. he would be more deserving of a fight with Fedor..

oh, and he would’ve avoided all this legal garbage..
    i really think that all of this Fedor mess was a horrible move by Randy..

• dice says:

Rich S. says

“i just think.. instead of going 2-1 for 3 fights.. and then calling out the best.. Randy should have taken on the next guy.. who would’ve been Big Tim again.. or Nog.. and then taken out one more guy..”

You act like we’re talking about a 26 year old with only 10 fights under his belt. Randy is nearing 45 years old. He and a lot of MMA writers have stated that he probably only has 1 more fight left in him. Plus what if he loses those 2 fights left on his contract? That pretty much shoots the mystic of having the 2 best heavyweights in the world fight each other.

Also going 2-1, when those 2 wins were against top ten heavys and the loss is against one the greatest fighters in UFC history, doesn’t really disqualify him from calling out Fedor. Randy, more than any other fighter in MMA history, has pretty much only fought top level fighters(how many non-title fights has he had in the past 6-7 years ?). Thats why he is considered one of the best despite sporting a lackluster record.

• Sergio says:

“Plus what if he loses those 2 fights left on his contract? That pretty much shoots the mystic of having the 2 best heavyweights in the world fight each other.”

• Kelvin says:

Randy is done.

• Chris says:

Fight of the century? WTF? There is no way this fight will compare to Fedor vs Crocop. That was the 2 top HW in the world building up for 2 years. Fedor hasnt fought for awhile but I call him number 1 HW. Couture hasnt fought in awhile and all he did is beat gate keeper Tim Sylvia. Randy is barely top 5. A bigger fight in my book is Fedor vs Barnett, or Fedor vs Nog in a cage.

• Rich S. says:

“If Randy would have gone 2-2 in his last UFC run, how in the world does that make him one of the 2 best heavyweights?”

that was the point dice was trying to get across..

• Sergio says:

Yeah but I’m of the opinion that Randy is not the 2nd ranked heavyweight in the world.

He needs to beat Big Nog and probably Sylvia again before I would even consider it.

Then and only then will I consider a Fedor/Randy match-up a #1 vs. #2 bout.

• dice says:

Rich S. is correct, that was my point.

Also, do you really need him to beat Sylvia again just to be considered your #2? Its not like that was a close fight the first time, Randy almost finished him in the first round and pretty much pitched a shutout. I fail to see the logic in why he would need to defeat Sylvia a second time to prove he is the better fighter. I guess we need to see A. Silva beat Hendo again just to make sure that he is the best middleweight in the world. But I am of the mind that if a fighter defeats another fighter, then they should be ranked ahead of them. Especially if its done in dominating fashion.

• Sergio says:

“Nice try at saving face though Sergio, but its obvious that you misread my statement and then change the subject to why you don’t consider Randy the second best heavyweight in the world.”

That wasn’t me trying to save face.

For me, there is no mystique concerning Fedor/Randy. The UFC hype machine had run away with a LOT of fans’ imaginations concerning Randy.

Not until Randy faces and beats Big Nog and another ranked competitor (I picked Sylvia because he’d be the more likely fight. Could be Arlovski for all I care) do I think he should be calling out Fedor. But beating Sylvia and Gonzaga (please) doesn’t make you the #2 heavyweight in the world.

There is MUCH more mystique surrounding Fedor/Barnett, in my opinion.

• ctownhood says:

I am probably gonna catch some heat for this, but I am tired of Randy’s act. He spent a whole press conference saying “it’s not about the money”, but then started quoting payouts and figures. He says it’s about “respect”. I don’t think there was a more respected fighter in the UFC than Randy. He’s not a bad guy..I like the talk of a universal ranking system, fighters’ union, etc. But, he signed a contract, so honor it. And on the fight itself….. IMO opinion Fedor could beat Randy anywhere the fight takes place…cage, ring, abandoned warehouse, Randy’s living room….anywhere

• Mike Wolfe says:

Yeah, I’m sure it’s all about re$pect.

• coleSCAR says:

I love Randy! I love Fedor! I agree with Randy,, I wouldn’t want to see Fedor in the UFC. To think he would be treated the way other fighters are treated with Dana White and Zuffa is foolish. In Japan, he is like Michael Jordan. Here, he would be like Tito or Chuck. Just another fresh face to exploit. I like Fedor, he makes his own rules and warrants people following them. He is too Classy for the UFC.

• Rhys says:

I respect Randy, and i’m sure there is alot more going on then the press knows about, but its getting to a point where F vs R is losing alot of its luster due to the fans having to wait out stupid contracts and bullshit politics and arrogant fight promoters who will stop at nothing to ensure the fight doesnt happen, even though it will be one of the greatest fight for the fans and MMA.

I for one dont really expect much of Randy, considering he is 44 years old and if this fight doesnt happen fairly soon he is going to have a bit of cage rust and the fight wont live up to its potential.

If the fight doesnt happen this year, Randy maybe could return to the UFC and fight Nog, I dont know. All thats certain is if we have to wait one more year for this fight, fans are going to be VERY VERY frustrated, and the fans make MMA even more then the fighters do.