Filho pulls out of fight with Sonnen, checks into rehabilitation clinic

According to Sherdog.com,  WEC  middleweight champion, Paulo Filho  has pulled out of his March 26th clash with Chael Sonnen. Filho’s manager, Jorge Guimaraes,  alerted Sherdog to this recent development.

Guimaraes had the following to say:

“We tried our best with Filho, but it didn’t work and he’ll not fight in the WEC,”

“He tried with all his effort to accomplish the title defense, but he realized he couldn’t do it due to chemical dependence and depression. He knew this kind of stuff does not have a link with the sport, and I’m happy he had a conscience and looked for help.”

Sherdog goes on to state that Guimaraes declined to comment on the root of Filho’s “chemical dependence” but that the undefeated Brazilian will return and defend his belt in June.

• Kogepan says:

Roids + amphetimines

• The House says:

I think regardless of the situation, its never too late to turn from your current path to a better one. What ever his reasons I hope the next couple messages are positive and supportive.

• koolpaw says:

I NEVER blame Fiho for this, and WON`T.

I just wait for his coming back and fight Chael Sonnen in good condition physically and mentally.

Its very hard to make himself go to rehabilitation for any kind of ubstance abuse problem, but he did it.

He has strong will and hope for this sport and his own life for sure.

• THORAZINE says:

I respect everyone that shows Filo support. However, I’ve never liked him just for having a tattoo of Mike Tyson on his arm….. when he gets that removed, maybe I’ll be ok with him… ‘why the fuck Tyson’?

• steve24 says:

Awesome, a drug addict! Strip his Ass!!!!

• bigfish042 says:

He didnt cycle off the ROIDS in time. So he has 2 choices…….Make up an excuse so he can pull out of fight or get caught using ROIDS

• Jay says:

He’s been looking for a way out of this fight since it was announced. He should have said he pulled a gonad or something but he chose this?

way to to think it through Paulo!

• Jeremy says:

Hopefully whatever might be wrong with Filho he can get corrected and back to top form in the octagon. I was really looking forward to seeing this rematch.

Good news for the WEC yesterday though as Jose Aldo signed a 5 fight deal. Another good prospect for the 145lbs. division. Graciemag.com has the article up on it.

• JayK95 says:

Glad he’s getting help. ‘Roids aint no joke! The strength is temporary and the damage is permanent.

Jay K.

• ttt says:

why are they having an immediate rematch anyways? i always thought those were a lame idea … but i can’t think of any off the top of my head

• Evan says:

I am sure the Zuffa knew about his problems. When people were asking why he was in the WEC I think we can safely assume this was the basic reason why.
    He chose to do this to himself so hopefully he can chose to get better.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

“He didnt cycle off the ROIDS in time.”

I agree.

• jj says:

Thats too bad. At least he’s got the balls to admit he has a problem and isn’t trying to pull a Sean Sherk.

I guess Dan Henderson’s guess was pretty good.

• godzillad says:

#13: Where exactly did Filho admit to steroids?