EliteXC addresses the mystery of the $1 fighter

Several sites obtained salary figures from this past Saturday’s EliteXC: Street Certified card via the Florida State Boxing Commission.

One of the most notable sites to obtain the figures from the FSBC was MMAjunkie.com. According to the report, Kimbo Slice was paid $175,000 for his performance while Tank Abbott received $126,000.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAMCAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• banditt2 says:

WOW! $300,000 for a shitty ass fight.

• Paul Hanna says:

WOW! $1 for a win.

• bubbfat says:

Plus his monthly salary cheque

• bjjdenver says:

They should have paid Tank $1.

• Evan says:

“They should have paid Tank $1.”

Well….that all depends on what exactly Tank was paid to do…

• Sam Caplan says:

Anyone who implies Tank took a dive doesn’t know what they are talking about.

• Sam Cupitt says:

He got knocked down like 4 times. Kimbo hits like a truck, havent you seen the photo on Sherdog of the hook that dropped him.

Also, its Tank freakin Abbott. He dives for no man.

• Evan says:

“Anyone who implies Tank took a dive doesn’t know what they are talking about.”

Yikes that is not what I meant by any means but I can see how you took it like that.

• Sam Caplan says:

“I meant he was brought in to get smashed while going down swinging. Some guys would have folded much earlier than he did. This was about a showcase.”

Evan, when you phrase it that way, then it does sound like you know what you’re talking about.

• cyphron says:

I never claimed to know what I’m talking about, but that’s the second Kimbo Slice fight that his opponent rolled over and die. Yeah, it’s a paycheck, but when’s the last time a fighter hesitated for a second and collapsed like that? When you’re KOed, you just fall from the punch, you don’t wait and then fall.

But hey, whatever, I’m clue less. Perception is reality. And I perceive that Tank just wanted the fight to end and gave up.

• Evan says:

cyphron….I think that was directed at me and my poorly worded comment #5 which I clarified on #8. I can easily see why they thought I was saying he was taking a dive.

Which I do not think happened by any means. Tank knows the business. He knew he was there to be a big name and to trade punches until someone dropped. He knew it was likely going to be him that was dropped and the dude kept getting up and was paid very well for it.

I have no doubt Tank would have dropped him if possible and was going to go down trying. That’s why he was picked. They could not afford another Bo Cantrell mess.

• platypus says:

tank was a good showcase to show kimbos ability, the fight has been pretty popular.

kimbo needs to fight a straight up wrestler, to see how much he has matured. someone like jake obrien

• cyphron says:

Evan,
    No, I’ve previously claimed that Tank took a dive. And I stand by it. =) I don’t think that Tank was supposed to tank a dive and I don’t believe EliteXC had anything to do with it. I feel that Tank gave up and took a dive in the literal sense because he didn’t want any more.

But to most viewers, perception is reality. EliteXC should be careful in how they book future fights because the fan’s goodwill could go away real fast.