Report: Bonnar off of UFN 13 fight card due to knee injury

A planned light heavyweight bout between Stephan Bonnar and Matt Hamill scheduled for UFC Fight Night 13 is now off due to a knee injury sustained by Bonnar during training, according to Kevin Iole of Yahoo!

The card, which is scheduled for April 2 in Broomfield, Colorado, will be headlined by Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon and Karo Parisyan vs. Thiago Alves.

A replacement for Bonnar has yet to be named.

Iole is reporting that Bonnar sustained the injury last Tuesday and could be sidelined up to six months as a result of torn ligaments in the damaged left knee.

Bonnar last fought at UFC 77 on October 20, 2007 when he defeated Eric Schafer by submission.

• Anton K says:

bummer…

• Eric says:

Well that stinks. The card is still stacked, but I was looking forward to seeing if Bonnar could sustain his momentum.

• Cradick says:

Bad break for Bonnar, he really needed to string together some wins so that nobody forgets about him. Any thoughts on who will replace him? I am guessing the UFC will bring somebody in from outside the UFC…

• Sam Cupitt says:

Lame, incredibly lame.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Early predictions for a replacement are, Heath, Lambert, or Boetsch.

• Andrej says:

How about Tomasz Drwal ?

• Sam Cupitt says:

Yeah i was gonna say him but I kept typing his name wrong so I just said screw it.

• Ram Maramba says:

Drwal was my instinctual guess, but it would be great to see Boetsch again soon. I’m really curious to see if this guy’s a flash-in-the-pan or if he’ll amount to something in the big leagues. We need more exciting big guys…

• Matt says:

Has Bonnar only had one fight since his suspension?

• Sam Cupitt says:

Two Matt. Nickels and Schafer

• Evan says:

Not sure…I think so. Too lazy to look right now. :)

I cannot stand the guy. While I give him some respect for admitting steroid use I personally don’t think he offers much to the game. I hope someone like Sokoudjou gets his groove back and sends his head into the upper deck.

• Guy Gaduois says:

That’s a drag for Hamill – I’d like to see what he comes back with after (what I considered) a disappointing decision with Bisping. He was very methodical in that fight, stuck to what seemed an effective if not deeply innovative fight plan that allowed him to expand his own strengths well.

A replacement fighter is a setback for Hamill – and he seems to be a strategic fighter, so this will pose risk for him as well. Ask David Heath about that. Boetsch would reap incredible benefits to fight again so soon – meteoric implications if he were invited to this fight as well. Don’t think so, though, seems awful quick turnaround.